• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms Rogers & Spencer 44 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you REALLY notice it! The first couple of times I cocked the gun I had to look to see what was wrong! I think you shot a cylinder full of Colt 1860 rounds and then picked up the R&S to do the same it would throw you a little.

A major reason why the Rogers and Spencer feels different from Colts and Remingtons is that it has a shorter hammer throw. In effect, it's a short action.
View attachment 63095

Wish someone made one today, I have read the Ruger Old Army was based on the R&S.
Disassembly of the R&S is easy--this shows one way using a block of wood to hold the mainspring out of the way.View attachment 62896
The first modular revolver...
The Ruger Old Army was based on the Whitney revolver, IIRC, not the Rogers & Spencer.

I’ve heard that. All of those...

Honestly, I believe the Old Army is a Ruger Single action Blackhawk with a percussion cylinder and a loading lever. Any resemblance to any of those fine revolvers is probably a matter of form following function rather than Ruger copying a 100+ year old design. That’s my opinion.

I’m considering cold blue-ing the gun, not exactly sure if I want to and how I’d go about it.
Prep, prep, and prep. Remove every trace of blue, old finishes and degrease every part of it before attempting a cold blue.
Being a Ball remake, it has intrinsic value and I would consider finding a pro to finish the revolver. Cartridgeconversions.com is someone who is capable and can be trusted to give it the finish it deserves. Nice find.

...Honestly, I believe the Old Army is a Ruger Single action Blackhawk with a percussion cylinder and a loading lever. Any resemblance to any of those fine revolvers is probably a matter of form following function rather than Ruger copying a 100+ year old design. That’s my opinion...

Whatever it is, the Ruger Old Army has to be the most over rated BP gun in history.

The cherry on the top is the way Bill Ruger betrayed the gun owners and shooters who made him a very wealthy man. It's probably not to be discussed here, but google "the Ruger Letter" if you haven't already read it. That alone was enough to turn my off to anything with that guy's name on it for the rest of my life. Ol' Billeh has long gone off to his eternal reward, but his gun control schemes continue to inspire anti-Second Amendment zealots to this day. %$&* him and the horse he rode in on.

Whatever it is, the Ruger Old Army has to be the most over rated BP gun in history.

The cherry on the top is the way Bill Ruger betrayed the gun owners and shooters who made him a very wealthy man. It's probably not to be discussed here, but google "the Ruger Letter" if you haven't already read it. That alone was enough to turn my off to anything with that guy's name on it for the rest of my life. Ol' Billeh has long gone off to his eternal reward, but his gun control schemes continue to inspire anti-Second Amendment zealots to this day. %$&* him and the horse he rode in on.
Opinions do vary... 😉

Although I no longer own this R&S I have few complaints about it. To me it felt somewhat awkward in the hand. But it sure would shoot! Under 2" at 25 yards was common for 5 shot groups.
PICT0360.jpg

There is an R&S for sale on gone broker, plumb blueing. Bidding ends on Feb 14.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891719806

Thanks for posting the link! I should have it in my hands next week, USPS willing.

It is not marked Rogers & Spencer anywhere on the revolver that I can see, only Dixie Gun Works and New Model Army .44. It is an oldie as it is double-stamped DGG in a circle, which means that DGW imported it from Armi San Paolo or Euroarms decades ago.

My buddy has a DGW revolver that exhibits the same "plum" color on the blued frame, which is no drawback to me.

Thanks, again!

Regards,

Jim

I had a stock Rogers and Spencer back in the eighties, I believe. That thing just had a good feel. The best score that I ever shot with an as issued pistol was with that gun. A 99 with a x or two was the result at 25 yards on the standard NMLRA target. Unfortunately it was stolen and I never replaced it.

Back