• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms Rogers & Spencer 44 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly the ROA as a take off on the R&S ram system.

Frankly I don't like it. The Remington system pops out a cylinder quick and easy. If they call a cease fire then I have to grab a tool, turn that latch with it, then remove the whole assembly which falls apart.

Granted back in the day you just carried more guns if you wanted more shots. Changing a cylinder was impossible under a direct combat condition and when you are down to using pistols, its all too close.

That said for modern work, the Remington beats the Colt design. Not sure what the range will do for policy if and when I get one (I lust after a Walker Colts as its just such a cool chunk of iron you could split logs with it).

I don't know what pushed Ruger into the R&S, it is what is is and I can manage it fine, a bit less fast than a Remy but the range guys know I am shooting BP and am not as fast to get to safe as others (though some of those people are slower than I am).

I am a bit impeded as the ROA after shooting revealed a shift in the works that the bolt come back up. So I need to put something between the hammer and frame to have the bolt free to remove the cylinder. Its livable, the ASP also had that issue until I fixed it. I don't see an easy fix for the ROA but still thinking about it.

Jim thank you for the compliment, it means a lot coming from one as knowledgeable as you. I'll probably post more about Ball and his revolvers later, possibly as a new thread. I'm very busy right now taking care of odds n ends, knee replacement in the AM and a lot to do.
Take care of the new knee. Do the therapy. I am into my 20th year on mine, and it works as well as after a year, Blessings. Dale

Clearly the ROA as a take off on the R&S ram system.

Frankly I don't like it. The Remington system pops out a cylinder quick and easy. If they call a cease fire then I have to grab a tool, turn that latch with it, then remove the whole assembly which falls apart.

Granted back in the day you just carried more guns if you wanted more shots. Changing a cylinder was impossible under a direct combat condition and when you are down to using pistols, its all too close.

That said for modern work, the Remington beats the Colt design. Not sure what the range will do for policy if and when I get one (I lust after a Walker Colts as its just such a cool chunk of iron you could split logs with it).

I don't know what pushed Ruger into the R&S, it is what is is and I can manage it fine, a bit less fast than a Remy but the range guys know I am shooting BP and am not as fast to get to safe as others (though some of those people are slower than I am).

I am a bit impeded as the ROA after shooting revealed a shift in the works that the bolt come back up. So I need to put something between the hammer and frame to have the bolt free to remove the cylinder. Its livable, the ASP also had that issue until I fixed it. I don't see an easy fix for the ROA but still thinking about it.

Modern work for most of us is shooting them as they were in the 1860’s. Load using the ram, fire the loads and reload. Neither the Remington nor Colt holds a significant advantage during such use. I prefer the Army Colt because I have large hands and the Remington doesn’t offer much of a handle for me. Rugers standard grip is ok but I prefer the Super Blackhawk grip and I’ve replaced them on a number of the Old Armies.

I’ve never been impeded by the Ruger ram system… but I don’t really expect to need any rapid reloads or cylinder swaps at all really. When I do drop the cylinder out I turn the screw with my thumbnail. Easy as pie.
Does your range require you to remove the cylinder in order to make it “cold”?

I’ve never been impeded by the Ruger ram system… but I don’t really expect to need any rapid reloads or cylinder swaps at all really. When I do drop the cylinder out I turn the screw with my thumbnail. Easy as pie.
Does your range require you to remove the cylinder in order to make it “cold”?

Last first, yes they do require it to be out.

I have yet to find out how they would deal with a Colt type. BP Revolver shooting is not much of a thing here and what there is that I have seen is the single shot gun (muskets or rifles though I suspect rifle)

If I get a Walker Colt I will ask first. I am on very good terms with most of the range guys.

I only had a question when the one guy I don';t know well told me to separate out my loading operation and pointed at rule 17 (I have all the serious safety ones down pat). Number 17 says Blue line and I am baffled as there are not blue lines! No issue, once I figured out what he was trying to convey it was, cool, I can do that!

They also separate out the powder and ball portion to a bench in the rear of the shed (now). Caps are kept up on the shooting bench. It makes some sense though safety really is the caps going on last.

I gaiter that they wanted people to load powder and ball outside, but pretty impossible to do that in the cold (have to see if any of the outside rear benches are even clear.

Reloads have to be done under a Range Hot condition.

ROA is just a bit more awkward and thought has to be given to it. Easier if its warmer.

Back