• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

EuroArms/Pietta grip differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a chance to compare the grips on my EuroArms 1858 Remington with the same version made by Pietta. Visually the Pietta grips are much larger. Handling both shows a real difference with the Pietta feeling almost swollen in comparison.

Having never handled or seen one in person, which of these are closer to an original?

Are other repro's, like Uberti, closer to the original?

Anyone make replacement grips that are contoured like the original?

The older replica Remington's generally have smaller grips/grip frames.

Roughly 15 years ago Pietta and Uberti changed their grips/grip frame to a larger size, I believe to be more correct.

IIRC an unchanged Civil War era Remington .44 I sold for a guy about five years ago had the grip frame size closer to the current Pietta's and Uberti's. However, the original's unchanged grips were not as thick side to side as the newer replicas.

One nice thing on some of the early Uberti Remington's was the grip escutcheon, like the original grip, had two small triangular projections on them to keep them from coming loose in the grips.

Replacement grips can be a gamble on fit unless they are over sized. Probably way less fit risk on the newer guns made more precisely on CNC machinery.

Don't have any grip maker recommendations, perhaps someone else will.

Back