• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Euroarms 1851 Navy Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All, I received an older (30+) Euroarms 1851 NAvy revolver and I am trying to clean it up for a friend. The nipples look like they are the original and there are obviously some mushrooming on the end s because he has never shot it, only dry fired it. My questions is what type of nipples does this use? I understand that Pietta use a different size than Uberti and I can find nothing on the web for anything Euroarm specific. Not sure what size to use.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Most likely, a 6-. 75 mm thread on the nipple will work in your gun. If you really want to make sure, take a couple of the existing nipples to a local hardware store. They usually have ways of testing your nipples existing threads for size. If they don't, see if they have some metric nuts and try screwing your nipples into them. If they screw in with a close fit, you've found the answer.

Note, cap & ball pistols nipples are shorter than the ones with a similar thread that are made for single shot percussion muzzle loading rifles and pistols.
Here's a link to Track of the Wolf's selection of nipples.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/2

Yep if the cylinder is original 6x.75mm. If newer than 80s #12x28. Best to get internal/external thread diameter charts or take it to local LGS to get measured. This subject can get very confusing. I've read of 1990 and newer having pre 80s nipples. And if a pre 80s got a newer cylinder if would have the revised thread. 80s and older typically had 6x.75mm but to gain some standard they went to #12x28 (5.5 x.9mm). Knowing the exact cone length is important too. Lots of older had .284, newer now in mid size are usually .3 or .319. It's a mess.

EuroArms used to use two LENGTHS of nipples in their revolvers and you never knew which one you would get from year to year. So it is best to measure the length of the area that holds the cap and ask for that length when you buy new nipples.

Gus

Thanks everyone for their posts. I am going to have them measured and double check as advised. Appreciate the help

All, thanks for the great help. I was able to get the proper ones from Taylor and Company and they fit perfect. Now all I have to do is make sure the cylinder is clean 😫. Barrel was clean but the cylinder is terrible. 10+ years. Hoping it can be salvaged

Back