• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euro Arms 1803 Harpers Ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I posted about a Bess I got for deer hunting but another flintlock has approached. A neighbor of mine has come to me with an offer. His father passed a week ago and has a Euro Arms 1803 Harpers Ferry Rifle .54cal new in the box and wanted to sell it to me for $400. It has never been fired however I know nothing about the rifle except for the whole Lewis and Clark and 1st United States Rifle Regiment gig it had but this isn't an original so I don't know how they perform. If anyone has used or was them and has hunted or targeted with them could you give some advice please, it seems like a good deal but I need a little information. I thank everyone who replies.

There were a few issue with some of the locks not sparking well on the euroarms 1803s. I’d also read that some of the internal lock parts had some soft parts. For $400 I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat. The lock can be fixed or replace it with a Davis lock and still only have $600 in the rifle. Still a great deal.

I am on my second Euroarms 1803. You will have to sight it in. I had to file the front sight down on mine. Shoots great now. They don't make them anymore so if you decide to sell you will make money on the deal. They are always in demand.

There were a few issue with some of the locks not sparking well on the euroarms 1803s. I’d also read that some of the internal lock parts had some soft parts. For $400 I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat. The lock can be fixed or replace it with a Davis lock and still only have $600 in the rifle. Still a great deal.
Are Davis locks easy to install ? Or is there some serious work required. I can always take some wood away to get a tight fit. Is there any drilling required?

Are Davis locks easy to install ? Or is there some serious work required. I can always take some wood away to get a tight fit. Is there any drilling required?
I couldn’t tell you when it comes to your rifle. Might drop in, might be too small or bigger needing a little inletting. I’d say buy the rifle and shoot it. It’s quite possible it’s perfectly fine. Worry about lock issues after you buy it. There are lots of folks out there that can fix any problems the factory lock might have. If there are problems post it and we can point you in the right direction. I have a Harpers ferry built from a rifle shoppe kit with a Davis 1803 lock. One of my favorites.

Attachments

• CCCB9F0C-E417-4072-B759-32DDDBA5E2B0.jpeg
    CCCB9F0C-E417-4072-B759-32DDDBA5E2B0.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 72
  • AE14C7EC-143E-4649-A3C8-2462869F76D5.jpeg
    AE14C7EC-143E-4649-A3C8-2462869F76D5.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 74
I couldn’t tell you when it comes to your rifle. Might drop in, might be too small or bigger needing a little inletting. I’d say buy the rifle and shoot it. It’s quite possible it’s perfectly fine. Worry about lock issues after you buy it. There are lots of folks out there that can fix any problems the factory lock might have. If there are problems post it and we can point you in the right direction. I have a Harpers ferry built from a rifle shoppe kit with a Davis 1803 lock. One of my favorites.
Yea I just had a look a my friend's 1803 and it sat in that box for a long time, the metal is pitted and rusted and for some reason it is percussion cap not flintlock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-151454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151454_Chrome.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20210516-151506_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151506_Chrome.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20210516-151511_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151511_Chrome.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20210516-151517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151517_Chrome.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20210516-151515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151515_Chrome.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 77
That’s because a it’s not a reproduction. It’s an original converted to percussion. They tend to look that way after a couple hundred years.
Oh damn you learn something new everyday. The box says Euro Arms so we figured it was a repro. I guess he could try putting it up on Gun Broker and see what he could get, or on some other auction site. I don't want it now because something like that belongs in a collection or a museum and not tromping the woods with me. There may be a collector out there who wants it and for $400( presuming he doesn't up the price) that is a good steal. Thank you for that information you helped me out a lot because I was puzzled as to why it was a cap lock but converting them in military or civilian use as technology progressed seems to be a good explanation.

I agree with everyone who says NIB/ $400 is a great deal for one of these. I have one and fill a tag in late PA flintlock season every year with it. They are accurate and dependable. I had my lock tuned, the frizzen hardened and its spring strengthened by a fellow from NH, Earl Kathan, years ago. I never liked the little "nubby" rear sight, so I replaced it with a semi- buckhorn rear with @3/4 inch dovetail. ( the dovetail cut into the barrel is longer than usual, so you would would have to do some searching or sight altering to replace it.) I also cut a new front sight from a brass blank and fit it into the " groove" in the barrel. It's a tap in, friction fit. Of course, none of these alterations were necessary, just my personal preference. But.......I would recommend a little lock work and trigger polishing. Bottom line- jump on the deal right away, these sell for 700 to 900 dollars or more in that condition......One final thought, I have read in several different places that these were furnished with "match grade barrels"........I often wondered what that actually meant and if it were indeed true. Anyone out there have an insight? Scoop it up SmoothboreMurph.....if you don't like it, make a few bucks on it......

Just saw SmootboreMurph's latest post, sorry. And I really didn't look at his pictures before I posted this....oh well.....my praise still stands for a "Euroarms 1803 Harpers Ferry Flintlock"

Last edited:
I agree with everyone who says NIB/ $400 is a great deal for one of these. I have one and fill a tag in late PA flintlock season every year with it. They are accurate and dependable. I had my lock tuned, the frizzen hardened and its spring strengthened by a fellow from NH, Earl Kathan, years ago. I never liked the little "nubby" rear sight, so I replaced it with a semi- buckhorn rear with @3/4 inch dovetail. ( the dovetail cut into the barrel is longer than usual, so you would would have to do some searching or sight altering to replace it.) I also cut a new front sight from a brass blank and fit it into the " groove" in the barrel. It's a tap in, friction fit. Of course, none of these alterations were necessary, just my personal preference. But.......I would recommend a little lock work and trigger polishing. Bottom line- jump on the deal right away, these sell for 700 to 900 dollars or more in that condition......One final thought, I have read in several different places that these were furnished with "match grade barrels"........I often wondered what that actually meant and if it were indeed true. Anyone out there have an insight? Scoop it up SmoothboreMurph.....if you don't like it, make a few bucks on it......

Just saw SmootboreMurph's latest post, sorry. And I really didn't look at his pictures before I posted this....oh well.....my praise still stands for a "Euroarms 1803 Harpers Ferry Flintlock"
I would buy it but if he sells it for more than I can give the money goes to his mother to pay bills since she is a recent widow and that is fine with me. Right now he is thinking about hanging on to it and he is going to find out where his father got it from and the story behind it from his uncle who knows all about it. I will keep my eye out for a Euro Arms in the future since there is so much high praise for it.

I have a BELGIUN MADE HOPPERS FERRY flint pistol in the original cal. 54, that I just paid $700.00 for and didn't lookback! PEDERSOLI'S are made in 58 cal. so a good deal. jmho.

Back