• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ethical with .45?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfoster

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I feel like this was discussed before, but couldnt find the thread. What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking within 50-60 yrds with a .45? As most hunters will agree, shot placement is key, so given perfect conditions and shot placement what would your answer be? 90% of what i hunt is deer in the 200lb range, but there are hogs, coyotes, and the occasional small black bear roaming where i live.

Yep, you already know the key in bringing down wild game.... Shot placement is way more important than caliber size. My buddy is a game warden for Odnr, he told me a story once of him walking up on a freshly killed large doe during bow season, upon examining the animal he found a small entry hole behind the front shoulder...upon further examination it was a 22 caliber bullet that killed that large doe...another time he was called to a farmers property for hunters during gun season who was trespassing..upon talking to the hunters, they explained that they had been tracking their buck for a mile or so after a bad shot from a 12 gauge slug..my buddy explained that they needed to get permission first and if permission was denied they were to leave.. They asked the farmer and he agreed to let them look for the wounded animal... They didn't find it.
Shot placement and knowing your own limitations is what is so very important..with that said, I'm not a bit afraid to take a shot at 50, 75 or even 100 yards with my 45 caliber. I've killed deer at all those ranges. Practice at the range you intend to shoot, work up an accurate load and gain confidence ...you'll do good! ;)

I'm a big-bore guy, favoring the .58, .62, and .75 calibers, but see nothing wrong with a .45 for deer, coyotes and hogs. Shots on hogs are normally close, (but they like to move around) so I would want a healthy powder charge in that case, and maybe one of the short slugs like the "PA" or "bull-ettes".

For years my go-to deer guns were a couple of .45 muzzleloaders. Never lost a deer and never needed more than one shot. The farthest deer kill was 75 yards.

I HAD AN ALCOHOLIC OR SELF MEDICATING SUBSCRIBER WHO DROPPED A DEER IN ITS TRACK WITH A .32 RIFLE WHILE OUT SQUIRREL HUNTING..
HIT THE DEER ON A POINT BETWEEN THE EYES AND AN INCH HIGH.
HE IMMEDIATELY REALIZED THAT HIS CHANCE OF KILLING AND NOT JUST WOUNDING THE DEER HAD BEEN VERY SLIM. HE THEN REALIZED DEER SEASON WAS STILL A WEEK OFF.
A FORNER SON IN LAW DROPPED A DEER WITH 75 GRAINS OF 3ÏÏÏ BEHIND A .44 BALL AT ABOUT 60 YARDS.

HE HIT IT WITH A HEART KILL.
AS THE PROPOSER OF THIS SUBJECT SAID, "PLACEMENT" OF THE PROJECTILE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. SHOOTING IN THE GENERAL AREA THE DEER IS STANDING IN LEADS TO A WOUNDED DEER DYING IN AGONY IN SOME DISTANT PLACE AND WHILE CRUEL ENOUGH IS UNSPORTSMAN LIKE

DR5X

I feel like this was discussed before, but couldnt find the thread. What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking within 50-60 yrds with a .45? As most hunters will agree, shot placement is key, so given perfect conditions and shot placement what would your answer be? 90% of what i hunt is deer in the 200lb range, but there are hogs, coyotes, and the occasional small black bear roaming where i live.

Back