• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Escopeta anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of escopetas, look what I was able to pick up recently........

Sometime in early December their was some discussion on miquelet locks on this Forum. Then, out of the clear blue, I receive a PM from a fellow forum member asking me if I would be interested in purchasing an escopeta kit before he posted it for sale. He had changed his mind on having it built. So I said: What do you have ? LOL Turns out he had a complete kit for TRS # 766 Spanish Light Military Escopeta. The kit was complete with everything - except the stock. Including an ASSEMBLED lock. And, he lived only an hour and a half away from me. So, we met that same day at a half-way point and made the exchange. I don't really need this gun but couldn't pass up the opportunity. LOL
So, I need to order just the stock from TRS. Hopefully it won't take too long since it is my understanding TRS does their own pre-carved stocks in-house now.
Then, of course, I have to find someone to assemble the kit. I know the perfect builder for this, but I don't know if I can talk him into it. I know he has been busy with wheellock stuff lately. We'll see.

Just dumb luck I ran into this. Especially with an assembled lock. YAY!!

RickView attachment 57952View attachment 57953View attachment 57954View attachment 57956
I want to see it when its built. Great find!Can you post an inside view of the lock ?

Hi Peter

Sure, here you go..........

I have not tried to spark the lock myself yet. But the seller says it sparks great. And I'm confident it will. All the right parts are hardened.
Yes, a super lucky find. Especially with an assembled lock (TRS recently told me that there is a one year wait list for an "assembled" lock). And only a 45 minute drive to get it (no shipping time/cost, etc.). I'll call TRS tomorrow and order the stock. And while I wait to get it, I'll see if I can find someone to build it. LOL

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG

I order the stock last week. TRS said it would be 2-3 weeks to ship. My understanding is they now do their pre-carved stocks in-house. So this ship time might be accurate. We shall see.

Rick

I'll bet you bought that from Lodgewood, you lucky rascal!

As it is, you have an extraordinary replica of a historic firearm. If you have it rifled, it will no longer be an authentic replica, and I doubt it would be pleasant to shoot. Absent a rear sight, accurate shooting might be a challenge. I would leave it as it is, and shoot and enjoy it as a smoothbore. You have a rare prize!

I understand Mr. Krolick copied it from a painting, but I'm just wondering where a native hunter in Manitoba would have gotten a Spanish weapon. I have seen the painting and thought it was 20th century, but will research it. A Northwest gun, or an HBC "fine gun," or even a French fusil would be feasible for a First Nations hunter in Manitoba, but a Spanish escopeta? Not likely...

For all that, though, the gun itself is authentically designed and built. It is a rare beauty, and a real prize. Congratulations on your purchase, and thank you for sharing!

Notchy Bob
Lots of trade from south going North!!!!

Back