Escopeta anyone?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Peter Stines

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Speaking of escopetas, look what I was able to pick up recently........

Sometime in early December their was some discussion on miquelet locks on this Forum. Then, out of the clear blue, I receive a PM from a fellow forum member asking me if I would be interested in purchasing an escopeta kit before he posted it for sale. He had changed his mind on having it built. So I said: What do you have ? LOL Turns out he had a complete kit for TRS # 766 Spanish Light Military Escopeta. The kit was complete with everything - except the stock. Including an ASSEMBLED lock. And, he lived only an hour and a half away from me. So, we met that same day at a half-way point and made the exchange. I don't really need this gun but couldn't pass up the opportunity. LOL
So, I need to order just the stock from TRS. Hopefully it won't take too long since it is my understanding TRS does their own pre-carved stocks in-house now.
Then, of course, I have to find someone to assemble the kit. I know the perfect builder for this, but I don't know if I can talk him into it. I know he has been busy with wheellock stuff lately. We'll see.

Just dumb luck I ran into this. Especially with an assembled lock. YAY!!

RickView attachment 57952View attachment 57953View attachment 57954View attachment 57956
I want to see it when its built. Great find!Can you post an inside view of the lock ?

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Peter

Sure, here you go..........

I have not tried to spark the lock myself yet. But the seller says it sparks great. And I'm confident it will. All the right parts are hardened.
Yes, a super lucky find. Especially with an assembled lock (TRS recently told me that there is a one year wait list for an "assembled" lock). And only a 45 minute drive to get it (no shipping time/cost, etc.). I'll call TRS tomorrow and order the stock. And while I wait to get it, I'll see if I can find someone to build it. LOL

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG

Ol 12 gauge

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have never seen one of these guns before, and I must say it is awesome.

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I order the stock last week. TRS said it would be 2-3 weeks to ship. My understanding is they now do their pre-carved stocks in-house. So this ship time might be accurate. We shall see.

Rick

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Commodore: The escopeta and doglock both look excellent !!! Great work. Thanks for the pics.

Rick

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. The hammer and tumbler shaft being one piece. A hold-over from the snaphaunce lock.

Rick