Erielhonan clothing question

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

J Adams

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, first post here, my question is.
What was clothing like for the Erie Indians along the lake Erie coast in NY, PA and OH, during the early to mid 17th century?

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Tough one. Artist tended to mix styles and try to emphasize ‘savage’ aspects of the clothing. Good paintings we have from this time Indian clothing is heavily influenced by whites.
Eastern tribes were heavily mixed. Men would go and live with wife’s family. And men of different tribes could be living in a village, all joined via wife’s relations.
Men often wore captured clothing, as part of his ‘spoils of war’.
It was bigger tribes that got most of the attention. Heron and Iroquois. And I’m darned if when I see paintings and drawings from this time I can pick out an identifying thread.

Gooba Jones

Beyond the Great Divide 5/23/20
Reaction score
If my old mind is still working right, I recall that the Erie tribe was similer in lifestyle and language to the Huron natives up in Canada. If you can find out how the Huron people dressed it might help you figure out what the Erie people wore.

Gooba Jones

J Adams

32 Cal
Reaction score
If my old mind is still working right, I recall that the Erie tribe was similer in lifestyle and language to the Huron natives up in Canada. If you can find out how the Huron people dressed it might help you figure out what the Erie people wore.

Gooba Jones
Thank you, now as of reading more on the Erie tribe, I have read that they spoke and dressed and lived allot like the Huron.
Thanks for pointing me in the rite way.

Gooba Jones

Beyond the Great Divide 5/23/20
Reaction score
Thank you, now as of reading more on the Erie tribe, I have read that they spoke and dressed and lived allot like the Huron.
Thanks for pointing me in the rite way.
Glad to be of help.
Gooba Jones

Latest posts