• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Erataz Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kia Ora Everyone.
I purchased some . What I was told was Black Powder. Kast November.
Over here not that a common thing & very difficult to ship especially between islands.
Bit Finley it's arrived after getting Wayland & going somewhere else 1st šŸ˜³
My qiluestion is to you..

Has anyone ever used this???
It's not BP is it.
No sulphur for 1 it does say for muzzleloaders & EZ clean.
Could this be what I read here ( pyrodix)???
Really be interested to hear your thoughts & if anyone has had some experience with it.
I'm a little dubious & disappointed with my purchase šŸ˜•
Thanks. OK I'm off to mahi to earn a $
Ma te wa
Nga mihi
Chris

Attachments

• 20230123_045723.jpg
    20230123_045723.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
No, it is not black powder, but it will work in most black powder guns with no problems. You got the right granulation. The ffg granulation has ignition problems with traditional side hammer guns, but the fffg granulation works fairly well. It does not work in flintlocks.

With no sulfur, it is less corrosive than actual black powder, but the gun still needs to be cleaned after shooting. Some people reduce the charge slightly to get similar performance to a specific measure of black powder. It does have a few other issues, most notably, the "crud ring" that it tends to leave down in the bore near the breach.

Clean with hot soapy water just like with actual black powder.

I would guess that you are Maori and live in or around New Zealand (from your signature), so English should not be a problem for you. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOTTLE! They are kind of important.

I have used Hogdon 777 in my traditional muzzleloaders. I like it better than Pyrodex, but prefer actual black powder when I can get it.

No, it is not black powder, but it will work in most black powder guns with no problems. You got the right granulation. The ffg granulation has ignition problems with traditional side hammer guns, but the fffg granulation works fairly well. It does not work in flintlocks.

With no sulfur, it is less corrosive than actual black powder, but the gun still needs to be cleaned after shooting. Some people reduce the charge slightly to get similar performance to a specific measure of black powder. It does have a few other issues, most notably, the "crud ring" that it tends to leave down in the bore near the breach.

I would guess that you are Maori and live in or around New Zealand (from your signature), so English should not be a problem for you. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOTTLE! They are kind of important.

I have used Hogdon 777 in my traditional muzzleloaders. I like it better than Pyrodex, but prefer actual black powder when I can get it.
That is great of you to help me.
Kia Ora tatou šŸ‘

That is really good information. I really appreciate your help.
Kia Ora Tatou šŸ‘

I still wonder why I went through all the troubles of getting my first can of P...., BP substitute, copuple of years ago.
Maybe it was just the challenge of getting it.
In Germany, getting BP substitutes first meets legal challenges, if they are not printed out e x p l i c i t e l y on your explosives purchasing license.
This was also the reasoning of some rifle ranges where using BP substitutes were banned -
because it was n o t e x p l i c i t e l y mentioned in their operating licenses.
First time I applied to have my explosives purchasing license expanded to include P...., the authorities were inquiring whether proof firing of my muzzleloaders had included loads of BP substitutes, tending to bar me from using the latter.
I guess they should have been more rigid about that - it turned out BP substitutes never did any good in whatever muzzleloader I used it, in whatever way.

I have tried all available types of BP substitutes, including the CTG type in cartridges that historically were first charged with BP, such as .577 Martini, .50 Government, 12.7 x 44 R .45-70, .40-70 Sharps straight, and .40-60 WCF.

I ruefully went back to shooting Swiss BP, and even the German-made WASAG BP, which turns out less gas pressure/punch than an equivalent of the clean-burning Swiss blackpowders. Still don't know what to do with my P.... leftovers. Under German law, you cannot even give them away....

I still wonder why I went through all the troubles of getting my first can of P...., BP substitute, copuple of years ago.
Maybe it was just the challenge of getting it.
In Germany, getting BP substitutes first meets legal challenges, if they are not printed out e x p l i c i t e l y on your explosives purchasing license.
This was also the reasoning of some rifle ranges where using BP substitutes were banned -
because it was n o t e x p l i c i t e l y mentioned in their operating licenses.
First time I applied to have my explosives purchasing license expanded to include P...., the authorities were inquiring whether proof firing of my muzzleloaders had included loads of BP substitutes, tending to bar me from using the latter.
I guess they should have been more rigid about that - it turned out BP substitutes never did any good in whatever muzzleloader I used it, in whatever way.

I have tried all available types of BP substitutes, including the CTG type in cartridges that historically were first charged with BP, such as .577 Martini, .50 Government, 12.7 x 44 R .45-70, .40-70 Sharps straight, and .40-60 WCF.

I ruefully went back to shooting Swiss BP, and even the German-made WASAG BP, which turns out less gas pressure/punch than an equivalent of the clean-burning Swiss blackpowders. Still don't know what to do with my P.... leftovers. Under German law, you cannot even give them away....
Pour it out in a line and touch it off? Put the bottle out at fifty yards and shoot at it? ;)

Nah, that would probably be illegal in Germany. Leave it on the doorstep of a Ukrainian refugee. Pretty sure they have a relative somewhere that could put it to use. If anyone asks, you were only sending the Ukrainians supplies.

Back