• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Era Gone Johnston & Dow .44 ca. bullet ballistics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does any forum member shoot the Era Gone Johnston & Dow .44 cal. conical bullet in an 1858, 1860 or ROA? Since I don’t have a chronograph, I would be interested in any ballistic data that you have for 25 to 40 gr. loads with this bullet using BP and 777.

I’ve only ever chronographed it using Goex FFFg. 30 grains of powder had the J&D conical moving around 600-650fps from my full sized 1858. If I’m reading my old notes correctly.

The bullet is so long, I believe 30gr of powder was about as much as I could load in my 1858 without overly distorting the tip of the bullet when loading.

If he ever has the British Kerr bullet mould in stock again I plan to try it due to the shorter length.

-Jake

I have two of the revolvers mentioned, an 1860 Army and a 1858 Remington, both Piettas. Have never shot the J&D bullets, but here is info for round balls (.454) and the Lee 200 grain conical. The ballistics are very similar, so I will not list both revolvers, which have 8" barrels. Volume loads using screw on spouts:

28 grains Goex Fffg RB 670 fps

35 grains Goex fffg RB 930 fps

28 grains Goex fffg Lee bullet 740 fps

35 grains Goex fffg Lee bullet 820 fps

777 (fffg) loads, which are much hotter!

28 gr. RB 910 fps

35 gr. RB 1080 fps

28 gr. Lee bullet 870 fps

35 gr. Lee bullet 1010 fps

I compress these loads pretty tightly, something many don't recommend with 777. The 28 gr. fffg load with RB doesn't compress at all, thus the lower velocity, in my opinion. 777 is consistently more accurate in all my revolvers, 13 of them,, than either Goex or Pyrodex P, which gets a little better velocity than Goex. I have gone to 777 almost exclusively, as it is readily available, and clearly better performing, velocity and accuracy wise, along with easier cleaning, than my other options. YMMV. And no, I don't work for Hodgdon. 777 is just better in my guns velocity and accuracy wise, without being what the old-timers used. Don't like the real stout loads in my Colts, just more pounding on the open frame design than I like.

I have two of the revolvers mentioned, an 1860 Army and a 1858 Remington, both Piettas. Have never shot the J&D bullets, but here is info for round balls (.454) and the Lee 200 grain conical. The ballistics are very similar, so I will not list both revolvers, which have 8" barrels. Volume loads using screw on spouts:

28 grains Goex Fffg RB 670 fps

35 grains Goex fffg RB 930 fps

28 grains Goex fffg Lee bullet 740 fps

35 grains Goex fffg Lee bullet 820 fps

777 (fffg) loads, which are much hotter!

28 gr. RB 910 fps

35 gr. RB 1080 fps

28 gr. Lee bullet 870 fps

35 gr. Lee bullet 1010 fps

I compress these loads pretty tightly, something many don't recommend with 777. The 28 gr. fffg load with RB doesn't compress at all, thus the lower velocity, in my opinion. 777 is consistently more accurate in all my revolvers, 13 of them,, than either Goex or Pyrodex P, which gets a little better velocity than Goex. I have gone to 777 almost exclusively, as it is readily available, and clearly better performing, velocity and accuracy wise, along with easier cleaning, than my other options. YMMV. And no, I don't work for Hodgdon. 777 is just better in my guns velocity and accuracy wise, without being what the old-timers used. Don't like the real stout loads in my Colts, just more pounding on the open frame design than I like.

Thanks for the loading and ballistic data. I'll use the 28 gr. of Geox or 777 Lee bullet loads for the J&D bullet.

Back