• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Epoxy bedding?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you glass bed a barrel in a ML firearm to be used in competition make sure that you can still use that firearm in the competition . Glass bedding or use of epoxy or other modern glues can get you disqualified . Use of hide glues with or without sawdust filling is permitted because it is historically correct
Well said. Glass bedding a gun for International ML competition is forbidden.

Gus

No, I don't think so. Two dueling keyboard warriors. He knows everything and so do I.

I don't delve very deep into keyboard combat, but I do have a rather low tolerance for internet know-it-all-ism. I'm not afraid to block a kick and return fire, if such is deservedly earned.

You made the lame attempt to assert that original builders would never have used epoxies if they'd had them, based off my comment, and then tried to justify it with you've "never had the urge".

You presented a circular argument, which is a losing strategy any day of the week.

I simply assert that most original builders were much less the artist trying to preserve tradition, and much more the maker of tools trying to keep up with the demands put upon them. They used everything they had available to them to turn out firearms as judiciously as possible, and to think they would have turned their noses up to technical advances is, well, quite, ignorant.

I don't delve very deep into keyboard combat, but I do have a rather low tolerance for internet know-it-all-ism. I'm not afraid to block a kick and return fire, if such is deservedly earned.

You made the lame attempt to assert that original builders would never have used epoxies if they'd had them, based off my comment, and then tried to justify it with you've "never had the urge".

You presented a circular argument, which is a losing strategy any day of the week.

I simply assert that most original builders were much less the artist trying to preserve tradition, and much more the maker of tools trying to keep up with the demands put upon them. They used everything they had available to them to turn out firearms as judiciously as possible, and to think they would have turned their noses up to technical advances is, well, quite, ignorant.
If a "technical" advance helped build the gun faster and saved them time & money , they would have used in a heartbeat. IMHO

This is ridiculous. I don't even care about the premise as it's stupid out of the gate. Who cares if they would have used epoxies or not? They didn't have them so the whole discussion is a non starter. I have been listening to "What would they have done" scenarios for 25 years. It's astounding you seem to know what gunbuilders would and would not have done or thought 250 years ago. Good grief, I have done this stuff for a full time living for 25 years, I do have more than a little experience.

Be proud, you earned it fair and square.......

Screenshot_20221128-180307_Samsung Internet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back