• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English trade Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished this one today
English Trade knife/ Scalper
7 1/8"X 3/32" Blade of 0-1 Steel
4 1/2" Half Tang Cocobolo Grip
Iron pins
Thanks for looking as always comments welcome
James

Maybe, but that's a hard call as there aren't many originals to compare with, and there could easily be variations from producer to producer, or in time frames. I think it looks good, and is a good representative of that pattern of an 18th c. English scalper. I have a pic of a relic blade that has that slow S blade pattern you chose. Almost exactly. The pic I have was identified as a William Parker made. In fact, I have a pic of one in the Troiana collection that has wide flats, if I recall correctly.

Very, very nice-looking knife! Looks like it has all the genuine attributes of a knife from the 1700's, without all the fanciful manure.

Another fantastic piece of Craftsmanship :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :bow: The tang appears in the photo to slope downward from the blade is that the case or just one of those illusions that I sometimes have? :idunno:

You are correct about the downward angle of the handle, gives it the slow-S shape Wick referred to.

Thanks James, I thought that might be what Wick was referring too. Great looking knife. :thumbsup:

This is the first "trade knife" I've seen that pops my cork. Based on a lot of years of serious knife wielding, the configuration and proportions are just about perfect for my everyday needs. Kinda the point behind trade knives in my mind! :hatsoff:

The Smithsonion has a Crow owned scalper acquired at a HBC post (stamp mark) that is almost a dead ringer, there is a ruler next to the Crow knife and the blade is right at 7" and the angles on the handle are the same. The size and location of the three pins are the same.

Sometimes ya get lucky and put the bat on the ball. :haha:

Credit where credit is due though, It came from a pattern hanging in Wicks shop.

Back