• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English trade knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I forged this from a disc harrow tine. I made another smaller one of the same steel and skinned a deer the other day, wanting to see if the edge would hold up i whittled on the leg bone and it held the edge very well. The blade measures 8 1/2 inches and the handle and sheath are made from grain on deer raw hide. I hope you like it, i am very satisfied with the look of the end product.

DSCN1810.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

Looks good, Skunk. I have a Sheffield machete blade that I'm going to hack up and make some knives from.

Seems that if I recall correctly, that should be 1080 steel. Should make a fine blade. If you really want one to stand out as English, it really needs a straight backed choil just a tad more than 90° to the blade, and an upswept point. What you have there is about a perfect Frenchie.

Thanks every one !

Wick thanks for the corrections, I'll get the next one right. I sure do like my Frenchie :wink:

Okay, Mr. Ellerbe...you had me reaching for the dictionary on that one, and "choil" isn't even in the Webster's. Could you tell me what you mean by "straight-backed choil"?

Jaeger, Wick will be more precise, but the choil is the spot at the rear of the lower edge of the blade where it transitions to the tang.

Skunkskinner, I am liking your work! When I forge hot metal, all I get is shapeless blobs ...
:redface:

Bill described it well. The choil is the transition of the wider edge to the narrower tang.OR, into a ricasso. The French almost always had curved choils, while the English almost always were straight backed with a slight forward angle off the tang.

englishtradeknives_640x480.jpg

Back