• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English SxS rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Seeing Feltwads English rifle is generating some interest I thought I would post this one.

I picked up this rifle in November.

Some of you might of heard of Cletus Klein, this rifle is from his collection. Cletus passed away this past summer and his collection is being sold off. Cletus was from TX and was a serious collector of fine guns.

I told my wife that this was her Christmas present. Her comment was simply "at least it is not a vacuum cleaner"

The below description is part of the information on this rifle from the sale. Based on the serial numbers it appears to of been built in the 1860's.

I have been working up a load and it looks like 90 grains of swiss 2f and patched round balls are the ticket. Currently using .530 balls with .015 patches. Still some more load work to be done.

Now I just need to figure out a nice hunt with this rifle.

Fleener

double rifle.jpg
patch box.jpg
side view.jpg

.53 caliber, 30'' barrels with bright excellent bores. The locks feature sliding safeties and show lovely scroll engraving with makers name appearing on each lock. The tang is also fully engraved with beautiful scroll appearing on the triggerguard, buttplate tang and tailpipe. The round patchbox is engraved with a large recumbent cat, likely a leopard. The barrels are engraved on top rib ''WILKINSON & SON GUN MAKERS TO HER MAJESTY PALL MALL LONDON'' with platinum blow out plugs on either side of breech. The rifle is sighted with a simple bead front and three folding leaf express rear mounted in top rib with dovetail taking the second letter ''N'' in ''LONDON''. The original brass tipped ramrod is present and the toeline of stock shows a plain monogram plate. The condition is wonderful with the barrels retaining 90% evenly thinning restored brown finish with some very light pitting visible in some areas. The locks and tang are a wonderful even gray patina and are very smooth and free of pitting. The triggerguard with checkered pistolgrip spur, patchbox and buttplate all retain 95% nice quality old restored blue finish. The stock is of a fabulous piece of English walnut and has coarsely checkered wrist and forend and a wonderful round cheekrest. The checkered steel shotgun buttplate has an engraved tang and shows an old restored blue finish. The condition of the stock is excellent as beautifully refinished and the rifle points beautifully with a 14 1/4'' length of pull. The rifle comes in a period mahogany case which has likely been relined and rates very good with an American Flask and Cap Company Indian and buffalo flask which rates excellent with much original lacquer. The locks are very crisp and this rifle would be a joy to shoot.

I should added that the rifle was made by Thomas Horsley of York.

Fleener

A nice looking rifle with Thomas Horsley on the locks its a pity it does not have the original barrels , there has been a book printed on Horsley guns by David Baker so there will be a full record of it
Feltwad

That looks like one of those overgrown Louisiana muskrats on the cap box which might be a suitable game animal for a double rifle since they have been known to be aggressive in response to prodding with lead balls. Heh Heh.

Seeing Feltwads English rifle is generating some interest I thought I would post this one.

I told my wife that this was her Christmas present. Her comment was simply "at least it is not a vacuum cleaner"

Art,
That is one sweet rifle, love those damascus barrels!! I am sure your wife is worth every penny, but don't ya think a vacuum would have been a more reasonable priced gift?
Flintlocklar :p

I have a very similar rifle, similar vintage, though a 40 bore (different maker). Is yours made for belted balls?

I told MY wife when I got it that it was for her. She went out and bought her OWN vacuum cleaner.

No, it is not for belted balls. Slow twist for RB. My wife is worth it! She thinks I am going to die first and she will be able to sell off everything.

Fleener

First! I want to compliment you on your fine choice of wife>
Had I purchased a fine gun like that for MY wife, it would be hard to pry it out of a certain part of my anatomy. The sharp edges would hurt some!
Beautiful rifle barely describes it. That would be the center piece of many collections and a point of pride on any hunt or shoot.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
I know I am second in line, but would you please give you wife my name and contact information. just in case you do kick off in the near future.
I am a very young 72 year old that appreciated fine guns, good scotch, and forgiving & understanding women.

My wife is a fairly tolerant, I really cant complain too much. Early on in our marriage I asked her about about something and she made the comment "you are going to do what you want to do anyway..." I did mention that I might have to go a on Spring bear hunt.

I have had quite a journey with this rifle trying to get it to shoot. The front sight was nothing more then a small bead, and it was shooting over 20 inches high at 50 yards. Also the right barrel was shooting 6 or 7 inches left of center, with the left barrel shooting center at 50 yards. I ended up replacing the front sight to bring the shots down. For the left to right issues I tried quite a few combinations of loads. 4 different types of wads, bullets, three different sizes of round balls, 3 different brands of powder and powder charges from 35 grains to 90 grains. All had some impact of changing the left to right issue. Some made it better some made it worse.

I ended up buying a coning tool to clean up the muzzle of the right barrel. I used it lightly at one shooting session. Might of helped a little, but did not cure the problem. Ended up going back to the range recently with the rifle and used the coning tool lightly a couple of more times. This solved the problem. Took care of the small damaged rifled area at the muzzle and brought the right barrel into center. When I left the range I was shooting 90 grains of 2f swiss with a .530 ball and .015 patch. This load places the balls from both barrels about 1.5" apart at 50 yards.

I need to go back to the range and try a couple of different things to see if I can tighten it up a little bit more and give it a go at 100 yards. Right now it is shredding patches, but I am getting good accuracy. I want to try .535 balls with .015 patches again and see what it does for accuracy and patches.

Fleener

That is a beautifully elegant rifle Fleener.
Top class, and Thomas Horsely a V fine maker, one of the best.

Are the locks signed inside?
It's the sort of rifle that when out hunting, if nothing shows up, you can still have a grand day just admiring it!
That beautiful stock look like Circassian walnut to me.

Congrats on a very fine purchase.

Richard.

Nice engraving on the Patch box,even initialed. Like the Bar in wood locks. Really makes the whole rifle together with the plate under the barrel hooks.
Pity no one had pointed out to him that Leopards looked like overgrown Tabby Cats
At least the animal (Rattish ) had spots not stripes.He,like many engravers of the period, had more than likely never been to a zoo.

OLD DOG.

Richard

Here is the inside of one of the locks. Any idea on who's initials that is?

I was hoping that they were Stanton's. I seem to be partial to them. But I do like these locks as well.

Perhaps they were made by Harold Frank Stanton.

Fleener

right lock.jpg

Richard

Any idea on the metal on the stock in the barrel channel near the hooked breach?

It is soft and I am thinking silver

Fleener

stock.jpg

Not sure how brave I was. I was really hesitant to do that, only after I tried everything I could think of. I have never cleaned up the muzzle or used a cone before. I dont like guns sitting in the safe that I cant use, so it was either get it to work or sell the rifle.

Fleener

Not sure how brave I was. I was really hesitant to do that, only after I tried everything I could think of. I have never cleaned up the muzzle or used a cone before. I dont like guns sitting in the safe that I cant use, so it was either get it to work or sell the rifle.

Fleener
Cannot understand why the right barrel was shooting off centre makes me think that there is something wrong with them because when they were built they would have been regulated.It is strange that barrels by Wilkinson was on a gun of that quality by Horsley, are there any signs that these barrels have been restored , loose ribs etc and not jointed proper. I am not knocking the gun but it is strange to me I have worked on several guns and rifles by Horsley .
Feltwad

Back