• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the first rifle I built from a blank. The stock is English Walnut with an Ebony nose cap. It's a .54 caliber 31" rice "English Sporting" barrel and a Chambers Late Ketland lock. Have not worked up a load yet, but the first few shots are looking good.
DSC00051.JPG
DSC00054.JPG
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00050.JPG

Super looking gun but are there not better locks for later Flint guns. Our locks progrested after 1780 into semi water proof very fast small panned machines with very precice geonometry which allowed Shooting-flying,running deer or shushys. O.D.

Super looking gun but are there not better locks for later Flint guns. Our locks progrested after 1780 into semi water proof very fast small panned machines with very precice geonometry which allowed Shooting-flying,running deer or shushys. O.D.

I originally planned on using a Davis "late English" lock, but the bolster was just not long enough to use with a hooked breech without a chambered breech. Even though,this is a pretty fast lock and being a rifle I won't be shooting anything flying.

Very nice work!

Ive become a huge fan of the English style over time, I find the stock design fits me much better, much more user friendly, as well as having their own classic look.

Can I ask what butt plate you used?

Nice looking rifle! You'll like the late Ketland lock. I used it on my last build and it is fast! I think Chambers uses the same internals on his Siler lock.

Back