• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Lock Fowler circa 1672 - w/ Fishtail or Spanish Butt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked this up from an estate and thought others would enjoy looking at it. This result of this fine piece is the sum of excellent parts cast from originals (from The Rifle Shoppe) as built by a master builder of early arms (the late John Bosh).

Note the proofs added to the barrel, with details thereof noted in the pictures, as John was renowned for adding whatever proofs an original would have left the armory with. Also note his own maker’s mark added at the end of the breech, done so as to identify ‘his work’ and to prevent someone from selling it off as an original piece.

This is a 77-caliber or 10-gauge musket of 46” barrel length. The English lock (my first) is very interesting; kind of ½ snaphaunce and ½ of what would become the French-style true flintlock. It has a ½ cock notch, but still uses the ‘horizontal sear’ arrangement, where you can see the nose of the sear peeking out from behind the lockplate just to the rear of the cock. They did away with the sliding pan cover and the frizzen now integrates the striking face and covers the pan.

For those who have never handled a 'fishtailed' butt matchlock or fire lock fowler, they actually rise to the cheek and hold as well as modern design stocks! The trigger on this one is crisp and light too, < 4-pounds ... sure can’t wait to spark her!

Fishtail1.JPG
Fishtail2.JPG
Fishtail3.jpg
Fishtail4.JPG
Fishtail5.jpg

Are the internal parts of that lock held together with screws or tapered pins?

I was in muzzleloading for 36 years before I ever shouldered a fishtail gun, I was truly surprised how well it came up and handled!

Gus

That is very nice! I have a fishtail matchlock and have really given thought to building one of these also. You are right that the stock on these looks very awkward, but actually holds well. The same for the German wheellocks with this type of stock. Actually holds very well, although they look clumsy.
000727_01 (1).jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. I find the mid 17th century small arms fascinating. Being a 'gear head' I am always intrigued by how people solve problems, especially mechanical problems. These weapons that were developed during the evolution of the firing mechanism are really amazing. Thanks again for sharing!

Are the internal parts of that lock held together with screws or tapered pins?
Gus - Excellent question! Like an original snaphaunce I have, the pan and spring are secured to the lockplate with homemade screws. The cock to tumbler and sear pieces are secured by tapered pins.

I should add ... many thanks to 'RickyStL' for his review and advice on this fire lock acquisition!

Gus - Excellent question! Like an original snaphaunce I have, the pan and spring are secured to the lockplate with homemade screws. The cock to tumbler and sear pieces are secured by tapered pins.

I should add ... many thanks to 'RickyStL' for his review and advice on this fire lock acquisition!

Thank you Flint62Smoothie,

The ONLY reason I knew to ask that was because a U.S. Team Member at the 1998 World Championships brought up a repro early lock with all tapered pins on the inside parts and I had never seen one before. He knew me from many years of doing trigger jobs on UnCivil War guns. I extremely carefully pulled and laid the parts and taper pins out carefully on the mat and even wrote down which way the pins started.

I was stunned the sear engagement looked like the edge of an axe blade going into what looks like the top of a stylized heart. Having NO experience doing trigger jobs on those kinds of locks, I basically just carefully polished the parts and slightly rounded that axe blade edge. The result wasn't a match grade trigger, but it felt one heck of a lot better afterwards. However, it was enough for him to win the Gold in the Repro Match.

Gus

Hi Flint

Congratulations !!! Nice find. These 17th Century, quality repos seldom come up for sale. And the barrel markings and the noted builder are an added bonus. The lock having a half-cock notch on the tumbler eliminated the need for an external, dog-style safety catch on the lock plate. I can "imagine" the half-cock being something added by the lock builder maybe around the 3rd Quarter of the 17th Century. Just another feature in the evolution towards the true French style flintlock.
Some collectors refer to the period of roughly 1590 to 1650 as the experimental or transition period. LOL After development of the snaphaunce, all kinds of flint ignition doglocks, snaplocks, etc. started to show up all over Europe. I seems the true, French style flintlock wasn't in wider usage till sometime in the 4th Quarter of the 17th Century.
I remember my first encounter with these early locks. It took me quite a while to understand how the horizontal sear arrangement actually works. As Gus mentions above, it's not immediately obvious.
The fishtail stock does indeed hold/point much better than you would first imagine. It's very comfortable to shoot.

Again, congrats. Super nice acquisition. When you have a chance, maybe you can post some pics of the inside of the lock. Would be most interesting. Thanks.

Rick

Back