• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Fowler ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, every firearm to be used or sold in the UNITED KINGDOM has to be subjected to proof on importations from ANY country that is not a member of the CIP organisation. The USA is NOT a member - it has neither official standards of gun proof, nor Federal proof houses in any state to apply the tests.

There are currently fourteen members of the CIP, including UK.

If you build a gun here in UK for your own use, you are not compelled to have it proofed, but it's a good idea. However, if you offer it for sale, it MUST be proofed at your expense before you can sell it or even give it away. This is not advisory - it is a legal requirement. Membership of the CIP is written into the law of the land in the nations who are members.

TFoley

I did a bit of reading on the CIP, Developed in Napoleonic times. In my ignorance I thought that back in the day and on your side of the pond the firearm was manufactured where it was proofed. What you described that by defarbing a firearms proof mark would get you in the UK is equivalent to removing a serial number on a modern firearm in the US. Room & board with bars on the door. Very cringeworthy. Thanks O.R.

Last edited:
I have a very nice Henry Nock fowler I took a ringneck with this afternoon. It's a beautiful light weight gun that handles well and fires reliably.
View attachment 47120
Oh Great ! Now I have flintlock envy ! Just joking I'm happy and fortunate to have found the H Nock that I did. Good photo and well posed with a cock bird. Thanks O.R.

OldRust
Want to thank you for the pics. I'm building a replica of my GGGrandfathers fowler presently on display in the Alabama State Archives. It's in rough shape so I'm collecting as much information and pics of similar originals as I can. Things like missing nose cap and butt plate. Someone converted it to a percussion later in life but it was originally a square-tailed flintlock. Octagon to round barrel. Half stock (walnut per the archives) identical trigger guard as yours. Same three proof marks. According to TOW the "tombstone" mark is a Ketland export mark. Got a squared tail flintlock from R.E. Davis which is supposed to be a copy of a Ketland early 19th century lock.

Thanks again

More than welcome, If you need any additional photos or dimensions PM me.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 102
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 94
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 93
  • dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 113
  • ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 112
  • ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 92
  • ii.jpg
    ii.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 104
  • kk.jpg
    kk.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 105
  • ll.jpg
    ll.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,511
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 90
The only complained I have with an original sxs flintlock is the length of pull with the stock . It is said that man in those days was a smaller than man today and that is why these early flint lock are short in the stock
Feltwad

The only complained I have with an original sxs flintlock is the length of pull with the stock . It is said that man in those days was a smaller than man today and that is why these early flint lock are short in the stock Feltwad

It's not a myth, it is the truth. Even in the last seventy years since the end of WW2, the male population of The Netherlands has grown to be, in average, the tallest on earth.

Wow! What a beautiful double! Who made it, and when was it made? Oddly enough, the length of pull on my Nock is 14".
Either the original purchaser was around 6' tall, or he had unusually long arms for a shorter gentleman.

Iron Jim,
It's not named, that's how come I could afford it about 38 years ago!
Feltwad,
For some reason, this one is long enough in the stock for me to use and feel right. My single barreled job is even longer, and feels perfect.

Toot,
You said, " now, that is a real gentlemen gun!!!"

No it's not....It's mine! :)

Mr. Foley,
I use it, but not in anger. :)

Back