• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a flint nodule? And yes my last order of Eng flints from TOW had humps.
A nodule is a large, rounded rock of flint or chert. The size could be hand size to 10-15 lbs and several times that. The outer layer will be off white to brown with a soft texture. Color depends on where it comes from. When you hammer it open you see the nice translucent flint.

DSC03223.JPG
DSC03224.JPG
DSC03229.JPG

Last edited:
This evening I made the switch and ordered some flints from Log Cabin. And asked that they not send humpbacks. We’ll see how it goes.
Definitely let me know how they turn out. I'm gonna take a couple of flints to work today, I have one of those little 1" belt sanders and I'm gonna see how that does at reshaping. Aluminum oxide is harder than flint after all!

Definitely let me know how they turn out. I'm gonna take a couple of flints to work today, I have one of those little 1" belt sanders and I'm gonna see how that does at reshaping. Aluminum oxide is harder than flint after all!
It works, I do that sometimes, but be careful, if your flint is a bit hot: your flint is out of service. Diamond files are working too for finishing...

It works, I do that sometimes, but be careful, if your flint is a bit hot: your flint is out of service. Diamond files are working too for finishing...
pls explain what you mean about the Flint being too hot and out of service? Thanks

pls explain what you mean about the Flint being too hot and out of service? Thanks
Have you, by accident, had a flint too close to the vent? The tip gets too hot, and the flint is therefore frequently out of order in a short time and does not work, right? It's the same problem when sanding with a sanding belt or a grinding wheel: if it gets hot, it becomes fragile and doesn't work...
So be careful when sanding and use water, lots of water...

That's just what I wanted to tell you. ;)

Have you, by accident, had a flint too close to the vent? The tip gets too hot, and the flint is therefore frequently out of order in a short time and does not work, right? It's the same problem when sanding with a sanding belt or a grinding wheel: if it gets hot, it becomes fragile and doesn't work...
So be careful when sanding and use water, lots of water...

That's just what I wanted to tell you. ;)
thanks for the info!

This evening I made the switch and ordered some flints from Log Cabin. And asked that they not send humpbacks. We’ll see how it goes.
Well the saga continues! I tried sanding one down a bit and quickly decided that I should just email TOTW to see what they could do for me. I told them that I had ordered 3 dozen flints from them in the past couple months and almost half (13 out of 36) were too tall to be of any use in my rifle, I also asked if they had direct contact with the knapper and if they could pass the concern along.

The short version of the response I got from TOTW was "you have only ordered a dozen flints from us" (I know, I added on to friends orders when they told me they were making an order) "flints are not returnable, try the amber flints next time". How about I try a different vendor? I'm not trying to swindle anyone here, I just don't like spending my hard earned money on stuff that is of no use to me.

Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Well the saga continues! I tried sanding one down a bit and quickly decided that I should just email TOTW to see what they could do for me. I told them that I had ordered 3 dozen flints from them in the past couple months and almost half (13 out of 36) were too tall to be of any use in my rifle, I also asked if they had direct contact with the knapper and if they could pass the concern along.

The short version of the response I got from TOTW was "you have only ordered a dozen flints from us" (I know, I added on to friends orders when they told me they were making an order) "flints are not returnable, try the amber flints next time". How about I try a different vendor? I'm not trying to swindle anyone here, I just don't like spending my hard earned money on stuff that is of no use to me.

Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
You know, I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve only talked to them 2, maybe 3 times over the years. Mostly about late deliveries. I don’t remember coming away with a warm, fuzzy feeling from any of the conversations. Not really rude, but not very helpful either. It’s takes such little effort for a retail shop to just say “and thank you for your business”. Anyway received shipping confirmation from Log Cabin today, normally takes Track 2-3 days. It was time for a change.

You know, I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve only talked to them 2, maybe 3 times over the years. Mostly about late deliveries. I don’t remember coming away with a warm, fuzzy feeling from any of the conversations. Not really rude, but not very helpful either. It’s takes such little effort for a retail shop to just say “and thank you for your business”. Anyway received shipping confirmation from Log Cabin today, normally takes Track 2-3 days. It was time for a change.
let us know how your flint are when they arrive!

@Thomas.bill92 if you have an extra $60-$70 burning a hole in your pocket I’d suggest getting a Harbor Freight wet tile saw and a diamond blade to put on it. I’ve had mine for a while so the prices may have gone up some. But it’s a relatively fast, safe way to reshape flints. And you can use it for cutting rocks, I slice agates with mine. Or actually cut tile if the need arises. Beats not being able to use humpback flints.

@Thomas.bill92 if you have an extra $60-$70 burning a hole in your pocket I’d suggest getting a Harbor Freight wet tile saw and a diamond blade to put on it. I’ve had mine for a while so the prices may have gone up some. But it’s a relatively fast, safe way to reshape flints. And you can use it for cutting rocks, I slice agates with mine. Or actually cut tile if the need arises. Beats not being able to use humpback flints.
How do you hold the flints for cutting/grinding them? I have this vision of Flints flying off into the far corners of the room etc every time I try and shape one?

Last edited:
I dropped TOW because of humpies!
I probably should not say this, and I am only blowing off steam but.........I'm about ready to drop TOTW for everything! Just does not seem to be the same company anymore that I was familiar with. Lower quality, higher prices (then other retailers, not just inflation), crappy C/S, the list of perpetually out of stock items is growing. Yet I'm sure in a month or two I'll buy something else from them.

Ideally you want to buy them in person, but we can't always do that.

I have moved my business to Log Cabin for the most part except flints which I go to Heritage as I said before, they are nice folks and have a small business.
The Log Cabin Sport Shop in Lodi Ohio are very fine folks to deal with. Has always been my favorite retailer. I'm biased though as I was born and raised in Ohio and went there as a child and teenager.

Back