• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reading the other thread about flints got me wondering. Who is knapping English flints these days and are they affordable and easy to come by?? I haven't really purchased flints since about 2007. I bought them in bulk from Track of the Wolf knapped by Tom Fuller. 250 per bag if I remember correctly. Wondering if these are still available.
James

Track has English flints in all sizes. I found that the French amber flints seem to spark my locks better. An L&R lock I have won't do jack with English grays but loves the French amber flint.

It’s tough in Uk you have to dig the flint out of the chalk cliffs in the south downs then attack with a hammer Still not that good at making gun flints but what I make works. Henry Krank uk , google, will post them world wide but still around $4 each download their catalogue I did have some luck with ceramic lathe cutting inserts

I've been using white flints from Arkansas area I believe. Love them for consistent spark. I think there's a member on here that offers them from time to time, or did anyway.

It’s tough in Uk you have to dig the flint out of the chalk cliffs in the south downs then attack with a hammer Still not that good at making gun flints but what I make works. Henry Krank uk , google, will post them world wide but still around $4 each download their catalogue I did have some luck with ceramic lathe cutting inserts
Interesting. There is definitely an art to it. It was certainly a lucrative trade at one point in time. Keep it going!
James

The English flints at TOW still say made by Tom Fuller. I use them and like them, but the last order or two had too many humpbacks. Gotta talk to them about that.
I dropped TOW because of humpies!

Back