• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

English Flintlock Information needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know which English makers used this type of lock, cock/cock screws and pans? Pan is brass, so is the cock screw. Thinking late 1700's civilian, as military use was normally steel, in the white at that point. No makers marks.... Thanks!

Attachments

• English flint 1.jpg
    English flint 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 94
It doesn't look English to me. The English typically made rounded pans rather than faceted pans like this one. It look French to me or maybe German.

Are there any proof marks on the barrel? There should be if European, including English, made.

It doesn't look English to me. The English typically made rounded pans rather than faceted pans like this one. It look French to me or maybe German.

Are there any proof marks on the barrel? There should be if European, including English, made.
There are 2 Birmingham proofs on the barrel. Crown over crossed arrows or scepter, hard to make out with BPC on the proof. I think that means it was re-proofed in 1813. English locks are always round-faced and the pans are smooth like you said, so very confusing. The shape of the lock says German.

Two marks of crown over crossed scepters are early private Tower of London proofs if they do not have the BPC on one and the V on the other.

Are they like these.
Tower Private Proof Marks.JPG

We would probably need to see more pictures of the gun to be able to tell you more.

Hi,
The British government purchased German-made guns and components both during the Rev War and later. They struggled to outfit the fledgling rifle brigade and some light infantry units. I wonder if there are any British government marks on the barrel.

dave

Latest posts

Back