• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Enfield Paper Cartridge bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just won a cheap Italian Remington 1863 rifle musket on an auction. I want to fire it using enfield style paper cartridges. However, all the 'minie' bullet moulds I have seen are about 0.575" for loading naked.

The originals were 0.568" or 0.55" as the lubricant soaked paper took up the difference and allowed easy loading if fouling.

Can anyone advise of a suitable available mould?

I had considered enlarging a 0.54" by lapping but the difference seems too much for lapping. There would be no need for cannelures being wrapped in lubricated paper.

My thanks for any guidance.

All the shooting I've done with both the Springfield and Enfield rifled muskets the paper is only a tube to hold powder and Minnie ball in a single package until you load. The skirt rings have a wax/grease mixture that allows easy loading and when fired flares out into the rifling . Only the smooth bore musket uses the paper cartridge as patching for the ball.

Northern soldiers in the 3rd American Civil War were instructed to remove the bullet from the paper to load after emptying the powder into the barrel from the paper I believe. This is, essentially, the method used today hence the 0.575/58" 'minie' bullets.

UK use was to rip off the tail, empty the powder into the barrel, reverse the cartridge and push the bullet base down into the muzzle until it is level with the muzzle then tear off and discard the remaining paper. Thus the bullet loads inside it's paper wrapping. I remain to be advised differently however.

bangfxr said:
All the shooting I've done with both the Springfield and Enfield rifled muskets the paper is only a tube to hold powder and Minnie ball in a single package until you load. The skirt rings have a wax/grease mixture that allows easy loading and when fired flares out into the rifling . Only the smooth bore musket uses the paper cartridge as patching for the ball.

'strue.

tac

Yulzari, first you'll want to take delivery of your musket and have the grooves and lands measured. The Italian guns are all over the place vs. the original Enfields, the Parker Hales, and the new Pedersolis, which run .577.
The bullet you speak of is the Pritchett. I know of two gents who have recently bought excellent Pritchett molds from Steve Brooks in Montana, but his moulds run $230!
If you will do a search fore the British Militaria forums, you will find some detailed discussions on reproducing the original Enfield paper cartridge, and links to excellent Youtubes. Also, David Minshall's Research Press Web site (which Google) has more information.
I am in the same boat as you, having just purchased a Pedersoli P1858, and intending to make authentic Enfield cartridges for it.

Thank you BillinOregon.

I will indeed check out the bore when it arrives and this will determine my choice in paper when I find a suitable mould.

At $230 plus postage to France (though doubtless an excellent mould) one of those moulds would cost more than the rifle and beyond my pocket now that I am retired. I fear that I will have to employ some cunning plan to bodge a Lee 0.54" mould to fit my budget. Now where is my 14mm drill and grinding ball?

I have a very simple brass mold that casts a smooth Prichett bullet. I got it from Dixie back in 1974-ish. I think it may have been made by Jeff Turner(Tanner?) in England. He does not offer it in his web site, but you might drop him a line and ask. Maybe he knows someone over there who makes them if he won't

Thank you poordevil

I gather that Tanner only does round ball moulds these days. I have one of his 0.62" excellent bronze round ball moulds for my 20 bore Snider.

Yulzari, happy to hear you are also a Snider man! I am too, although mine is Nepalese.
Actually, there are other, less expensive sources of Pritchett molds, but let's find out what your bore dimensions are.

yulzari said:
UK use was to rip off the tail, empty the powder into the barrel, reverse the cartridge and push the bullet base down into the muzzle until it is level with the muzzle then tear off and discard the remaining paper. Thus the bullet loads inside it's paper wrapping. I remain to be advised differently however.

Correct. The pubished "Rules to be observed in the Laboratories of C.S. Arsenals and Ordnance Depots" also describe loading this way.

David

Thank you Eterry.

Tried but sadly I cannot find who this chappie is to whom you refer.

I have been sent a drawing for a DIY sizing tool to squeeze a 0.575" down to 0.568" and that is vying in my mind with opening out a 0.54" mould. I can vaguely recall my grandfather telling me that, when he was in India before the Great War, the village 'gunsmiths' were known to relieve one end of a suitable gas pipe and hammer bullets through with a rod and a gert big hammer to make them the size desired by any customer.

It all has to be done on a small budget. I would have preferred an Enfield but the cheapest I can find here is 3 times the price of this Remington.

bangfxr said:

Have to disagree. The part of the cartridge surrounding the grooveless Pritchett bullet was saturated with wax and left attached to it when loaded.

That's correct.Also in referencing Hawes-Rifle Ammunition-1859, after dipping while still warm the cartridge was passed through a gauge .582 inch in diameter which removed excess lubrication and tightened the wax impregnated paper to the bullet.

Inserting the bullet

"......press firmly,and by direct pressure,the whole of the cylindrical part of the bullet into the muzzle before tearing off,and at the same time take the greatest care not to twist the cartridge when inserted,so as to ruck up the paper."

Making Enfield Cartridges-

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/british/enfield/cartridge07.htm

The Enfield cartridge uses three pieces of paper unlike American cartridges.You could by adjusting the paper thickness create a cartridge suitable to your requirements if you have a mold that is a couple thousandths too small.

Scots Jim said:
Making Enfield Cartridges-
If you select the images on my web site you will load larger versions where the text dimensions should be clear.

David

Actually the American cartridge is made of 3 pieces, although in a different way than the Enfield. There's a thread on here that shows the construction, but Momma's calling me for supper so I don't have time to find the link right now.

Back