• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Endoscope pics of different breeches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
54 cal CVA Frontier Hunter 1:48 circa 1996 manufacture depicted below

Drum into and across the breech plug

cva54.JPG

50 cal Traditions Deerhunter 1:48 circa 2007 manufacture depicted below

Note the drum does NOT extend into the breech and the flash channel is much more narrow.. This is the same type of breech that is depicted in a different post above for the Traditions flintlock. For some reason the hole from the drum is smaller and the drum is much shorter than the old CVA drum into breech version. This could be the reason you can change a Traditions Drum, (for sale various places) but not a CVA.

On the CVA, the drum is inserted and set into and across the breech plug, the breech face was subsequently drilled out via the bore, going into the drum that is tapped into breech plug, opening up to the flash channel.

It would appear that the Traditions breech plug was drilled out for the flash channel, the breech face drilled out into the flash channel and the shorter drum subsequently drilled and then tapped.

I have only had one that was a pain in the butt and I got rid of it. Haven't had issues with these.

50 cal Traditions.JPG

This is what I use to clean them: Breech Brush - A414

Last edited:
Might be on par for this discussion.
Cut an original Patent Breech Plug (hook damaged) to see its design.
This particular one looked to have a CuproNickel vent/blowout plug vs Platinum and no apparent vent hole.

8414E65A-2AE5-44AB-94A6-91F3A548FD87.jpeg

12F0BBC4-3EB1-4F0A-9C38-FDD41B64CEA9.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be on par for this discussion.
Cut an original Patent Breech Plug (hook damaged) to see its design.
This particular one looked to have a CuproNickel vent/blowout plug vs Platinum and no apparent vent hole.

View attachment 180144
View attachment 180145
What name gun or barrel is that out of? Reinforces my use of brushes and patches to reach and clean the tapered and straight walled surfaces extending to the flash channel. I’m surprised a gun cleaning brush manufacturer hasn’t developed a multi dimensioned brush to clean this area.

These cut-away photos lie bare the old saying that the "clean-out" screws aren't for cleaning. As you can see, the screws allow access to areas that you can't reach otherwise and they are , in fact, cleanout ports on quite a few of these designs.

Last edited:
These cut-outs photos lie bare the old saying that the "clean-out" screws aren't for cleaning. As you can see, the screws allow access to areas that you can't reach otherwise and they are , in fact, cleanout ports on quite a few of these designs.
If rifles equipped with "clean-out" screws were issued today, TECOM or TRADOC would require you to have an armorer remove the screw, preferably at the 1st or 2nd echelon maintenance level. ;)

If rifles equipped with "clean-out" screws were issued today, TECOM or TRADOC would require you to have an armorer remove the screw, preferably at the 1st or 2nd echelon maintenance level. ;)
I surely wouldn't use these on a daily basis. But for a complete cleaning after extensive shooting, prepping to put away for the season or to resolve ignition issues, I certainly use them.

I am actually surprised that the powers that be let Marines take apart the bolt of the M-16/M-4. How more cotter pins aren't lost in the field is beyond me.

TRADOC (and the other nanny overseers) would like to issue an armorer for every weapon, if they had their way. Which would be fine with me, let those nitpicking clowns clean that impossible to clean weapon.

Last edited:
I surely wouldn't use these on a daily basis. But for a complete cleaning after extensive shooting, prepping to put away for the season or to resolve ignition issues, I certainly use them.

I am actually surprised that the powers that be let Marines take apart the bolt of the M-16/M-4. How more cotter pins aren't lost in the field is beyond me. TRADOC (and the other nanny overseers) would like to issue an armorer for every weapon, if they had their way. Which would be fine with me, let those nitpicking clowns clean that impossible to clean weapon.
You'd be cheered to know that platoon sergeants if not squad leaders "worth their salt" are often found having a small container of new pins on them when deployed. ;) (OH and extractor assemblies and the pins for those too )

We now return to the discussion of the breech assemblies...

LD

What name gun or barrel is that out of? Reinforces my use of brushes and patches to reach and clean the tapered and straight walled surfaces extending to the flash channel. I’m surprised a gun cleaning brush manufacturer hasn’t developed a multi dimensioned brush to clean this area.
No barrel was with the plug when I obtained it the plug.

I have several TC rifles and have never removed a so called clean out screw. The one I have had for more than 45 years. It has rarely failed to fire and if so for other reasons than a dirty fire channel. I clean with the nipple removed and water in a small bucket and pump water in and out of the barrel. I use oil sparingly and store them muzzle down for at least a week or two if in long term storage.

I hate those rebated breach plugs. I have a. 36 cal. Pettersoli with one and I'll never have another.
I put a ball down the bore and lightly tapped it to get the dimensions of the subcaliber, then pulled the ball. I was able to purchase a bore scraper that had a long scraper from Track of the Wolf and filed it so it would scrape both the bore face and the rebated bore. I have to use it often to keep the missfirings to a minimum.

I'm assuming the rebated breach idea was from Petrersoli's lawyer.

I hate those rebated breach plugs. I have a. 36 cal. Pettersoli with one and I'll never have another.
I put a ball down the bore and lightly tapped it to get the dimensions of the subcaliber, then pulled the ball. I was able to purchase a bore scraper that had a long scraper from Track of the Wolf and filed it so it would scrape both the bore face and the rebated bore. I have to use it often to keep the missfirings to a minimum.

The idea was patented by Henry Knock in 1787. Here is a post "Zonie" made regarding the breach.
Patent Breech

I have several TC rifles and have never removed a so called clean out screw. The one I have had for more than 45 years. It has rarely failed to fire and if so for other reasons than a dirty fire channel. I clean with the nipple removed and water in a small bucket and pump water in and out of the barrel. I use oil sparingly and store them muzzle down for at least a week or two if in long term storage.
Lucky you

Actually, Hatfields have same breech as Pedersoli’s. A pain to clean, but once you’ve learned how it becomes less of a problem. The discussions and photos on this site make all of our shooting lives better.

I am glad that I read this stuff. I hated them patent breeches until I learned how to keep them cleaned out. Now I have not had any problems with them lately. My Pedersoli .36 flintlock was the worst one. Not having any problems at all once I figured it all out. Thanks everyone of you all for posting all the good information!

Back