• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

End of season birds.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The pheasant season ends tomorrow here in blighty and the woodcock today.
I desperately wanted to use flint today and may still have time to but that poor old double hasn't seen much this year so I got out early with it to right the wrong.

I have carried a virus since December and some days are worse than others. This morning after cramming 40hours at work made it hard work getting up early today but Jess knew what day it was and spurred me on.

I listened to the birds come off roost and watched the light grow.
DSC00997.JPG

Once light enough I started to hunt. Working my way up a water course of swamp and timber. Ash, alder and beech.

It happened quick but a cock bird lifted with a ruckus and flew kind of left to right. I flicked the light 12g through and shut him up as he tumbled into a huge bramble patch!
I made the retrieve because Jess says brambles are to stingy! That is when I got a surprise! I stumbled on a hen bird that on examination had been shot the day before! There is a local shoot that sometimes comes on to this ground to flush these very birds I am hunting.
This bird would of been obvious to the shooter that it is hit well and could of been retrieved with a good dog! It reminded me of why I don't do things the British traditional way anymore because it is err not traditional anymore!
The rooster.
IMG_20200131_080513712_HDR~2.jpg

That aside, I was up with two for one!
The next bird was a hen. Fast, departing right to left, I swung through and as she disappeared from view noticed her head was back! She was so fast I was surprised how far she travelled in free fall!
All three birds.
IMG_20200131_090545127.jpg

So far I had done well but then it went downhill!
Jess popped another rooster up not 15 yds in front, left to right, barrel one...missed, barrel two....missed!
I laughed after watching the bird fly unscathed shouting expletives at me! Feeling humbled muttered to Jess "come on, we have enough".
It's been a good season for me. 32 birds this time alas not all with black!
Best wishes.

B.

Fantastic season Brits, Congrats

Jess deserves a special treat!

Thanks for taking us along on your hunts, I throughly enjoy your postings.

The pheasant season ends tomorrow here in blighty and the woodcock today.
I desperately wanted to use flint today and may still have time to but that poor old double hasn't seen much this year so I got out early with it to right the wrong.

I have carried a virus since December and some days are worse than others. This morning after cramming 40hours at work made it hard work getting up early today but Jess knew what day it was and spurred me on.

I listened to the birds come off roost and watched the light grow.
View attachment 23263
Once light enough I started to hunt. Working my way up a water course of swamp and timber. Ash, alder and beech.

It happened quick but a cock bird lifted with a ruckus and flew kind of left to right. I flicked the light 12g through and shut him up as he tumbled into a huge bramble patch!
I made the retrieve because Jess says brambles are to stingy! That is when I got a surprise! I stumbled on a hen bird that on examination had been shot the day before! There is a local shoot that sometimes comes on to this ground to flush these very birds I am hunting.
This bird would of been obvious to the shooter that it is hit well and could of been retrieved with a good dog! It reminded me of why I don't do things the British traditional way anymore because it is err not traditional anymore!
The rooster.
View attachment 23264
That aside, I was up with two for one!
The next bird was a hen. Fast, departing right to left, I swung through and as she disappeared from view noticed her head was back! She was so fast I was surprised how far she travelled in free fall!
All three birds.
View attachment 23265
So far I had done well but then it went downhill!
Jess popped another rooster up not 15 yds in front, left to right, barrel one...missed, barrel two....missed!
I laughed after watching the bird fly unscathed shouting expletives at me! Feeling humbled muttered to Jess "come on, we have enough".
It's been a good season for me. 32 birds this time alas not all with black!
Best wishes.

B.

Love your hunting post and seeing Jess, but take care of that cold. A little lemon, honey, and a heathy shot of your favorite whiskey each night will take care of that cold.

Back