• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Empty Metal Goex Cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
After realizing I had 2 FFg cans of GOEX that I was using, I consolidate the powder into a single can which left me with my first empty. Any uses for these?

After realizing I had 2 FFg cans of GOEX that I was using, I consolidate the powder into a single can which left me with my first empty. Any uses for these?
I had a box in the basement that had about 50+ empty Goex cans going back to the mid-70’s. Wife convinced me there was no use for these old cans and so we threw them out…found out later…they have collector value. So yeah…there’s that…

I would hang on to it. Powder cans don’t take up much space, and personally, I just like the metal cans better. For one thing, I have a couple of the modified caps or lids with the spout affixed, which makes it easy to pour from the can. I never got around to making or buying such a cap for the plastic bottles, although I think they are available.

Powder seems to keep well in the metal cans, and the fact that I’ve never seen a can rusted through from the inside belies the idea that black powder is corrosive. Black powder fouling attracts moisture and is corrosive, but the unburned powder really isn’t so much. However, the metal cans do rust on the outside, and it’s a good idea to wipe them down now and then with an oily cloth to prevent this.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

More powder…..👍

Buy in bulk and repackage into those cans..
But if you don’t shoot much… someone else might have other uses for them..

I don't really shoot enough to warrant bulk buying. A few months ago, I bought about 8lbs of 3F Scheutzen.

8lbs = 56,000 grains
1 shot = 80 grain (give or take if I'm zeroing in on a load)
700 shots from 8lbs of powder

At around 30 shots per range trip (between 2 weapons) once a month, those 8lbs should last me almost 2 years.
Approximate pre-coffee math.

I was looking for other use ideas for the empties. My first thought was canteen, but even if it was thoroughly washed, I'm not certain as to how potable any water stored inside would be. Would get some looks at the range for sure.

I would hang on to it. Powder cans don’t take up much space, and personally, I just like the metal cans better. For one thing, I have a couple of the modified caps or lids with the spout affixed, which makes it easy to pour from the can. I never got around to making or buying such a cap for the plastic bottles, although I think they are available.

Powder seems to keep well in the metal cans, snd the fact that I’ve never seen a can rusted through from the inside belies the idea that black powder is corrosive. The fouling attracts moisture and is corrosive, but the unburned powder really isn’t so much. However, the metal cans do rust on the outside, and it’s a good idea to wipe them down now and then with an oily cloth to prevent this.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I've had these cans for nearly a decade and haven't seen any signs of corrosion.

I do the same with pouring my plastic housed powder in to the metal ones. For 1 thing, the metal cans take up less shelf space than the plastic ones. It also reminds me how long I've been doing This stuff.

BTW; when DID they switch from metal to plastic anyway? In BP it was only about 3-4 years ago, but in smokeless it was some time before that. I still have some powder from the older cardboard containers too.

I had a box in the basement that had about 50+ empty Goex cans going back to the mid-70’s. Wife convinced me there was no use for these old cans and so we threw them out…found out later…they have collector value. So yeah…there’s that…

Similar thing happened to me. I still had empty cans from the '60s, Dupont, smokeless and the smokeless I have is most all in metal cans except for a multipound Bullseye can made of cardboard. But then to have a peaceful home it does require sacrifice even if dumping them is costly, and it is.

Latest posts

Back