• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED Empty BP containers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any empty Goex or such cans available for sale at a reasonable price? I am wanting to store some homemade in it. Or does anyone know a suitable container to hold said item?

The static charge thing is a myth. Goex comes in plastic containers like most other powders. I've posted the static question on other forums asking if anyone knew of a documented case where a powder measure with a plastic hopper blew up when used with black powder. No one knew of it ever happening. One fellow said that he's been loading black powder shotgun shells on a Mec for years and was still here to tell about it.

Last edited:
I am looking for 3 cans, I would like for them to be 2f, 3f and 4f. If ya`ll can give me a price on those 3 cans.

The static charge thing is a myth. Goex comes in plastic containers like most other powders. I've posted the static question on other forums asking if anyone knew of a documented case where a powder measure with a plastic hopper blew up when used with black powder. No one knew of it ever happening. One fellow said that he's been loading black powder shotgun shells on a Mec for years and was still here to tell about it.

Goex like other powder companies, also adds graphite to their powder to neutralize static charges. It's been that way for 100 years, or at least thats the understanding that I have of it. The shooter in this post may not be putting his powder through the same treatment...

Goex like other powder companies, also adds graphite to their powder to neutralize static charges. It's been that way for 100 years, or at least thats the understanding that I have of it. The shooter in this post may not be putting his powder through the same treatment...
That's a good point.

After having a non-powder plastic bottle (contained dish soap) fall apart in pieces, no longer save any powder - black, subs, smokeless - in anything other than factory containers specifically sold for that particular powder. Glass jars present a breaking potential, but no chemical reaction. Due to shortage, now using up BP stored in Mason jars my father bought in the 1960's - still good stuff.

Also - watch out for storing powder too close to one another - humidity in my garage shop caused two cans (not black powder) to actually rust through in unopened factory cans.

I, like others here, have watched the videos of trying to set off BP with static and watched the charge go in around and through with out it ever setting it off.
I have loaded thousands, yes, thousands of BPCR rounds using a RCBS Chargemaster. Got one of the early ones and when it went kaput got a replacement and its still going strong.

About 45 years ago I was working at a high vacuum research facility. We were requested a light weight one for NASA. We went to plastic. Had only a few companies at that time which were static free. Since then most plastic is static free , BUT not all. Years back I needed bottles for a MEC Jr. I had picked up. when I called the person told me at that time to make sure the bottles had MEC on them to insure static free plastic.

Some people wipe plastic, light funnels, with used dryer static sheets. It works because most have a silicone in them. I agree use static free pastic.

Go to a kitchen/restaurant supply store, container store, and get ketchup and mustard dispensers. Plastic, screw lids and funnel like spouts. Cheap to boot.

Back