• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattman

40 Cal
Reaction score
18 elk went by my house today. one huge bull with them and one young bull. headed south into the sand hills. it was exciting to see. now and then we get some exciting things go by my house. wolves a couple of years ago and mountain lions are always leaving scat in our yard. im waiting for that record buck to show up in my yard. that why one of my muzzleloader is always loaded. lots of turkeys around here. when they show up in my yard we will have a wild turkey meal. living this rural can be interesting.

Welcome! My wildlife isn't that exciting but I do have an occasional black bear rummage around and I see bobcat a lot.

I get deer, squirrels, bunch of different birds, occasional turtle and one lonely skunk.

18 elk went by my house today. one huge bull with them and one young bull. headed south into the sand hills. it was exciting to see. now and then we get some exciting things go by my house. wolves a couple of years ago and mountain lions are always leaving scat in our yard. im waiting for that record buck to show up in my yard. that why one of my muzzleloader is always loaded. lots of turkeys around here. when they show up in my yard we will have a wild turkey meal. living this rural can be interesting.
Welcome. The "wild life" here is usually downtown..........

Do possums and rabbits count? :rolleyes: Since installing the Ring.com Spotlight Cameras we have a pair, looks to be adult and young possum cross our patio porch most every night and when we had the ice storm a few months back they lived in the Igloo Dog House on the porch. My mix Cocker Spaniel/Poodle didn't mind, he would watch through the glass storm door and stay in where it's warm. The small cottontails seem to enjoy the new lawn we put in during the summer.
I would love to have a place I could set in the morning, drinking coffee and watch wildlife pass by. My friend has a place on Ground Hog Lake in SW Colorado with the back of his A-Frame cabin being glass we can set inside by the wood stove, drinking coffee and watch elk around the lake and up the mountain behind his place. He is always getting after me about getting ready to go hunt instead of sight seeing. I look forward to doing that every other year when I hunt that area.
You guys are fortunate living in areas like that. I always wanted to move to Colorado or Wyoming where I had a lot of friends but work and life got in the way. HAH.
You guys need to keep a camera setting there with your smoke poles and post some wildlife photos.
Mike

i should have my son when home from college set up a camera as what passes through my yard at night is interesting. a year ago at this time my son shot 3 coyotes and laid them on the front lawn for a couple of days before he took them in to sell them to the fur man. the third day when i went out side a mountain lion left a huge pile of scat on top of one of the coyotes. i suppose it was saying, this is my place not yours. my friend who lives 3 miles from me across the prairie has 3 goats. they wont come out of the shelter when they sense a mountain lion in the area. his sheep dog wont go out of the house but just to do its duty then right back in when a mountain lion is close. something that has nothing to do with this but is interesting. my friend has a huge old cotton wood tree in back of his corral. on branch is low to the ground, about 6 ft. up. runs parrarel to the ground. one day a car load of sioux stopped and told him this. their grand parents told them this. in the old days many a sioux were put on that limb when they died in the traditional way. since then he never goes near that ree out of respect for the dead long ago. across the road is a section of land that used to be a scaffold site for the sioux dead. i saw a picture in the local museum of that field from the 1800/s and it was full of scaffolds of dead sioux. now they plant wheat or corn their. times change but the wild life is coming back. some grouse landed in my yard the other day. owls kill them selves during snow storms in my yard by flying into the yard light. when we had out side cats eagles would sit close by waiting for them to show them selves. my cats were smarter that the eagles. they hid until they were gone. one time their were 8 eagles waiting for my cats to come out.

Back