• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Elk Ivories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on making it to retirement. I retired 7 years ago from teaching. Now spend my time hobby farming and hunting and fishing! Believe what they say about retirement it’s true! Going out to hunt leatherback mushrooms today!

Right now it’s been a normal summer off, though my colleagues are now back in the classroom getting things ready for students. It probably won’t sink in till the leaves change, and I’m not in a classroom…that’ll be rough.

Morehops52, Thanks, I got a sheath in a trade so had to make a knife to fit it. Later I made a different sheath that suited my tastes better.

I think they would look good on the front of a shot pouch (hunting pouch). Maybe two rows of eight each on the front of the pouch.

That's a nice find. Real elk ivories these days are very expensive if you try to buy them, like $35-$50 per tooth, I think. I don't own any, but I think they're cool. Bernard Mason called them the "Red Man's pearls." A lady who had the several hundred needed to decorate the cape of her dress was married to a very good hunter, and enjoyed a lot of prestige.

Notchy Bob

Morehops52, Thanks, I got a sheath in a trade so had to make a knife to fit it. Later I made a different sheath that suited my tastes better.
You do really nice work Phil. I’ve had several custom knives made for me. I would have been proud to own that one. Those interests have waned lately.

Congrats on retirement. I'm still a few years away. I'm still in the trenches teaching HS physics, computer science, and a research class. I'm blessed to live in a rural community and we've talked about the physics of shooting and muzzle brakes and all kids of fun things. No one gets alarmed - it's great.

Congrats on retirement. I'm still a few years away. I'm still in the trenches teaching HS physics, computer science, and a research class. I'm blessed to live in a rural community and we've talked about the physics of shooting and muzzle brakes and all kids of fun things. No one gets alarmed - it's great.
I was an Analytical Chemist for 11 years, then went into education. I taught Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Advanced Chemistry, Mechanical Physics, Physics of Heat, Light & Sound, and Forensic Science…for over 20 years. I am going to miss it…meeting another science teacher is awesome. Thank you.

@Rock Home Isle It’s interesting the things some of us have in common. I’m a non-traditional teachers as well. I was self employed for 20 years before teaching. This is a second career for me too.

I’ll be watching this thread because I have a few elk ivories I need to do something with as well.

This is another knife sheath using elk teeth

Attachments

• 288045397_4786724554766884_8387789045085962732_n.jpg
    288045397_4786724554766884_8387789045085962732_n.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 0
I think they may have some meaning to members of the Elks Lodge. I could be wrong and suspect that it maybe older Elks members who may know.
I have read somewhere that the members of the Elks Lodge became so keen on having Elk Teeth jewelry they practically wiped out Elk in some areas of the USA . Especially the in eastern states

About 20 years ago I gave all the buglers I had up to that point to a guy who made jewelry. The deal was he was to make me something out of one of them and in exchange could keep the remaining ones. Well... time went on and I kinda forgot about it and eventually lost touch with him. So he got all my buglers, and I got nothing.

I like the sheath idea someone posted! Lots of cool ideas to use them in jewelry etc. Finding someone to do the work seems to be the hard part. Maybe easy if you have an idea and the money to fund it? Probably won't be cheap...

Back