• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Elk Ivories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Home Isle

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve recently retired as a high school science teacher, and little by little I’ve been going through all the things that I’ve collected and kept in my lifetime. Just cleaning things out, like I did with my classroom, at the end of this last school year.

I’ve been an avid Elk Hunter, I loved hunting those Elk. And in going through my stuff I came across a drawer where I’ve kept my Elk Ivories, from the bull Elk that I’ve harvested. Most of my Elk were cows, feeding my family, but I did manage to draw enough times to allow me to take 8 nice bulls where I took the ivories…

Rather than these pieces of my past sitting, forgotten, in a drawer…Is there a project or something that I could do with these Ivories? Somehow incorporate them into my BlackPowder Accoutrements?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated…I don’t have many, 8 nice pairs.

Last edited:
This one only has ten in front.
1660528632628.jpeg

I saw an ad "somewhere" where a guy makes rings and necklaces. Cool collection! Goggle can be your friend here, lotta artsie folk will chime in as well. Need photo of the result when you've decided and done it!

I should’ve had that when I was a teacher…OOooo, did I say that out loud?
I have an unusually large number of friends who happen to be teachers, and most of them say that with every passing year it just gets harder and harder for them. You all have my respect. Congrats on the retirement. 🍾

I think they may have some meaning to members of the Elks Lodge. I could be wrong and suspect that it maybe older Elks members who may know.
I’ve seen several Elks members with Elk Ivory Rings, & Keychain Fobs.

I thought about having one ivory set in a Knife Pomel…but if I’m trying to do something, like drive a stake…I just know I’ll absentmindedly use my pomel as a hammer and blast that ivory to pieces…

I’ve recently retired as a high school science teacher, and little by little I’ve been going through all the things that I’ve collected and kept in my lifetime. Just cleaning things out, like I did with my classroom, at the end of this last school year.

I’ve been an avid Elk Hunter, I loved hunting those Elk. And in going through my stuff I came across a drawer where I’ve kept my Elk Ivories, from the bull Elk that I’ve harvested. Most of my Elk were cows, feeding my family, but I did manage to draw enough times to allow me to take 8 nice bulls where I took the ivories…

Rather than these pieces of my past sitting, forgotten, in a drawer…Is there a project or something that I could do with these Ivories? Somehow incorporate them into my BlackPowder Accoutrements?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated…I don’t have many, 8 nice pairs.
I made rings with mine.

Congrats on the retirement!

I'm in the same boat, albeit with red deer ivory. I've been fortunate to shoot or been in on the shooting of maybe 30 red stags in my 31 years. I had a handful, as did my brother but we didn't know what to do with them so ended up chucking em out. I offered to make jewellery for the wife but it's not her thing. Got one pair left I saw in the shed yesterday coincidentally, didn't chuck them but may yet unless folks here have some ideas.

I’ve seen earrings, necklaces, watch-fobs, etc made out of them. Unfortunately, I’ve never found a jeweler who would do this for a reasonable price, so mine are displayed in a shadow box frame along with a photo and a couple other small souvenirs of the hunt. Where I live in Michigan drawing a tag for an elk hunt is pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity, so those ivories mean even more to us flatlanders.

By the way, cow elk have ivories too. I hope you’ve save those too.

Back