• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elevation Screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
On most cannons there is an elevation screw, what is it "calibrated to" per turn?

1 turn equals how many yards distance in elevation per given load?

half007.jpg

There is no actual unit of range applied to the elevation screw. On some guns a certain number of turns equals a certain number of degrees of elevation of the gun tube.

Most cannon are designed to fire projectiles of different weight and with different powder charges. An attempt to equate turns on the elevation screw would be futile. The varience of powder charges and projectiles is all done a certain number of degrees elevation.

Using the screw, one would first have to screw it all the way down and then count turns as it comes up. It is simpler to just look at the sights which are calibrated for range.

Most cannons like the one shown had a front and rear sight. The front sight was a tapered pin and the rear sight was weighted pendulum with an elevation ladder. I was looking at a couple of N.P. Ames tubes in front of the Sutton, MA town hall to get an idea of how to install the same on my tube.

Just :m2c:

Back