• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Elephant vs Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the time I started shooting flintlocks, Elephant was all I could find. Since they went out, the sports store carries Schuetzen. Haven't tried that yet. All I know is I like it better than Pyrodex and not only for flinters.

I just bought Elephant from a local dealer in NorCal (Hollister, CA)..it is still made.

I use it mainly in cannons, handgonnes, and in my matchlocks. It has always ignited good, but is a dirty powder, and as previous;ly stated, if you swab your bore, it is OK.

Apparently Elephant is still in business in Brazil and still makes powder under both that name and Diamondback.

Diamondback
Elephant

I found information elsewhere that stated that there was extensive flooding in Brazil that flooded both the powder plant and the owner's agricultural holdings. They put powder production on the back burner for awhile but are now back at it.

That all said, I don't think that I'll be investing in shipping a case or two of either Elephant or Diamondback up this way for my own use.

Roundball...the cans I just bought are lot 33/1997 087 and 42/1997 216...is the 1997 the lot year?....this is powder he just received, in shiny cans and new boxes.

My powder source is in Hollister, CA. He is an explosives supplier for construction, law enforcement, but also does BP and fuse. He ships all over (i don't know the shipping rates), but if you want more info, PM me.

Back when I used to buy powder locally, about half the time they only had Elephant. So I shot up a lot of it. I honestly can't say I had any problem with it. It was accurate & took deer. The past few years I've been ordering Goex by the case. At one time Dupont was THE powder and was what I used. I still have a can of it left.

Happened to find one of my empty elephant cans. It also is 1997. Seemed to shoot ok but nothing to brag about. Got a couple full cans hope they are also 1997. Will check when I think of it. Larry Wv

I wish I could remember exactly, but it is another thing I can't remember. I bought a case of 2F and it was dated 2001 (?). It was horrible. Since at the time I was shooting ALLOT of shotgun, I thought this cheaper powder would be good to use. I eventually used up one can and took it back to Friendship and sold it to a guy, for what I paid for it. I was thrilled and he seemed to be also. I wouldn't tell him my name though. :wink:

Dave K said:
I bought a case of 2F and it was dated 2001.
It was horrible.
I think that was their last year of production, around then...quality control really tanked those last few years before they went out of business

Just heard back from 'Jerry' at PowderInc...said the Elephant name is dead...that it's now being sold under the name of Diamondback.

I think the Elephant name is dead only in the US. Check out the links to both Diamondback and Elephant in my last post on this thread.

Have no idea...my context was my country...considering all the aspects of black powder characteristics, cost, and being made in the USA...Goex is hands down the best price performer on the market as far as I'm concerned...and as long as Goex and other comparable or better powders are available I'll never waste a PRB trying elephant again no matter how many times they change the name to hide it
:wink:

THANKS for the confirmation Roundball!! :thumbsup:
I had people give me horse laugh when I told them about the reddish flecks of WOOD in the fouling. I thought I was going loco :youcrazy: when I saw it but the rangmaster just stared in amazement.

-Ray

Back