• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Electronic Hearing Protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the core out of one of the foamie buds, cut it in half and insert into the flanged bud. Instant adapter! You can use any silicone replacement ear bud you want.

wm
Take the core out of one of the foamie buds, cut it in half and insert into the flanged bud. Instant adapter! You can use any silicone replacement ear bud you want.

wm
I have the Walkers and like how they work. The foam buds get to stiff in the winter and don't stay in. I will try the flanged bud conversion. I also have Caldwell ear muffs. They sometimes get in the way with some rifles but work very well.

Wonder if any of you use those high tech noise canceling ear protecters? And do they work? Do they cost an arm and a leg? The pros and cons of them. Thanks.
Back in the day (around 1990) I bought a set of Bilson 707 for around $110. I see their current model is about twice that price now. I was an instructor and range officer and wanted to be able to hear conversation/range instruction without removing muffs. They worked well in this regard. The electronics are amazingly quick; I was once fortunate enough to be able to fire a belt fed unmentionable on an indoor range and was astounded that the muffs were able to muffle the the muzzle blasts and amplify the "tinkling" sound of the ejected brass hitting the concrete floor at almost the same time.
The best practice is to unplug your batteries when not in use; otherwise the muff fairy will turn them on in your range bag.
If you have trouble hearing range officers directions they might be something that you could really benifit from.
Just my 2 cents worth.

While I don’t use them so much for BP(where I just use simple plugs due to the much lower sound intensity) , I do use them for hunting and competition with the unmentionables. Having lost half my hearing, and they have proven to be highly effective at protecting and improving my hearing ability...using volume control. Helps me hear and locate my bird dog/bell, as well as hearing what’s going on at the shooting line in rifle competition. My favorite for hunting are the “Sound Gear” plugs. I have been using them for about 5 years.

I use them for shooting as well as running the chainsaw, allows communication with wife unit while moving logs. Howard Leight Impact Sport model, original batteries for about 5 years now. Work great but I would like a pair of the "slim line" models for rifle shooting.

I got an pair of cheapy ones from Ol' Wally Martinez. They work fine and cost less than $35 and are well worth the price. There are better products out there, but these serve my purposes just fine.

I have a set of Walker's Razor muffs. They do eat batteries fairly quickly...when I actually use them. The trouble with this particular model is that the ear cup pads are small and sit on top of my ears and squish them against my head unless I sort of tuck my ears into them (though others may find them to be fine). Either way, they are uncomfortable for extended use as a result, so they don't see a lot of action. They have always blocked out gunfire but allowed me to hear other sounds really well when I did use them, so the tech works, I just need to find a brand/model with larger cups. Mostly I use some cheap reusable silicone plugs and/or a cheap unbranded pair of non-powered muffs from ebay that have nice large cups, so they are comfy.

D
Wonder if any of you use those high tech noise canceling ear protecters? And do they work? Do they cost an arm and a leg? The pros and cons of them. Thanks.
[/QUOTE

Does anyone make electronic hearing protectors ( muff type ) that have the spring/band go around behind the neck?
I have to wear wide brimmed hats to keep the sun off my face because of skin cancer risks.

For any and all recreational shooting I use ear plugs and a good pair of ear muffs over that. Can't hear conversation but it protects my hearing and I don't like to spend time talking anyway. In the woods I use a pair of ear plugs with a mechanical valve that allows conversation but blocks loud noises and gunfire. I bought them at least 40 years ago and they work great. I can even hear squirrels and deer moving in the leaves; I like them. The electronic muffs are popular, but I just never could convince myself they were any better than what I was using or worth the $$.

I tried the ear plugs with the mechanical valves twice and neither pair worked for me, like not having any plugs in at all. Never did figure out what I was doing wrong as I know they work for others. They sure would be nice if the worked for me.

I have had a pair of Peltor TAC 7's for about 20 years. Fabulous product! Squelches high-impact noises to virtually nothing; conversation is just like without them on. On the range, echoes come back louder than the shots. I highly recommend electronic muffs to everyone who shoots. No more missed range commands, and you are not so likely to lift them up to talk to someone. Mine use about one 9v battery a year (but I don't live on the range). Never had an issue with them, even when I had the cups half full of water one rainy day.
I suspect you get what you pay for in respect to electronics, function, etc. Peltor designed them for military use.

I went to the Midway site and did not see any behind the head electronic earmuffs.
Seems really strange that apparently not one manufacturer makes that type of muffs.
I tried a behind the head electronic muffs guy had on the range. Both he and i agreed they were hard to keep in place. I use a 29 DB muff but without either plugs or hearing aids in. Don't need the plugs anyway as like really deaf thanks to jet engines and 18 (or so) 500 pound bombs going off low order. Removing the muffs almost cost me the very expensive aids as they get snagged and pulled off. On that note the VA provided aids which have some noise canceling built in. They work but do not block the ear. I may try a regular electronic muff to help me hear range commands.

I use AXIL gs Extremes in-ear, took a while, and a bunch of trial and error to find the correct foam pieces to fit my ears. Works fine with the BP guns. Great for hunting, never in the way, I can hear the rustling of leaves and other sounds I usually couldn't hear normally (did I mention I'm practically deaf), rechargeable and lasts all day, and Bluetooth for the phone in case a spammer wants to call.
I also have a set of electronic David Clark's from 30 years ago, bulky, but they flat work, still!!!
The DC's I use especially if being around unmentionables with the recoil reduction system mounted on the front of barrel.

I'm glad I ran into this chat. Am familiar with Walker Game Ear, Peltor and Caldwell and foam plugs. Ratings from 23 to 31 decibel noise reduction. Have approached university professors of audiology/speech science on having them or students help me with research on sound levels of various black powder rifles, pistols, shotguns, muskets, fowlers, revolvers and even a cannon with parade loads and live rounds. Only published data I could find to date used a TC in line Encore with 250 grain projectile and 150 grains pyrodex. About 159 decibels. You should not expose yourself to noises over 85 decibles for much time without protection. Loud noises over 140 decibels without protection will damage your hearing. That is why I think a study needs to be done with traditional black powder firearms. Staff at a near by university thinks that they can help me out.
The Peltor did go through more batteries and the padded ear cover fell apart after a while. You can hear someone whisper 50 yards away and hear range commands. When hunting you can hear a deer or elk walking in the forest. However when the wind blows loud enough it suppresses sound just like when a shot goes off. Most all the muffs interfere with good cheek weld but I use both foam ear plugs and muffs if using a modern rifle with a muzzle brake. For normal range and club shoots the foam plugs work just fine with most black powder rifles. Proximity to other shooters on the firing line is a factor - closer being more a risk of damage.
You can spend a lot of money ($1,500.00) on fancy electronic plugs that are rechargeable and have blue tooth capability. Last thing I need when hunting or shooting for score in a match is a phone call. Some companies have moldable plugs that you either heat in hot water or use a two part epoxy that sets up in 10 or 15 seconds. I've seen them priced at $40 to over $150.00. I don't have time or money to test them all but would do so if I got free samples from a company and wrote a review for a magazine that pays its writers a decent commission. Manufacturers sending you free samples expect a favorable review.
Protection is not additive - that is a pair of foam plugs with 25 decibel suppression under a set of muffs rated at 25 decibel reduction does not give you a 50 decibel total reduction. Poor fit over glasses, beards, hats, caps, etc. can reduce effectiveness of hearing protection devices. Sound is also transmitted through the bones in your skull. I personally have never had a failure on the range with my electronic muffs quitting or amplifying the loudness of gunfire. Keep batteries fresh and carry spares. Not obeying range commands because you can't hear them makes you a liability to everyone on the line. Can be embarrassingly if not just plain dangerous.
Sound level meters from Home Depot for $350.00 are not sensitive enough to monitor anything above 130 decibels. They can measure 120 decibel noise of circular and chain saw, gas powered leaf blowers, rock concert loudspeakers and other industrial noise. A particular sound level meter at the local university starts at $4,500.00 and then you need to buy calibrators and smaller microphones. The peak noise impulse only lasts about 10 milli seconds. The more I get into the research the more I realized it was not something I would be able to do without help from the experts.
A good point made in reading some of the research is that spectators of shooting and sporting events that are near gunfire without hearing protection are risking damage to their hearing. For some reason the noise going into the left ear of a right hand shooter is more intense. A shorter barrel's muzzle blast like on a pistol or carbine is more intense than a longer barreled rifle of similar caliber or load because the muzzle is closer to the shooter's ear. Tightly patched round balls have higher pressures than smoothbores with round balls held with wadding on top.
If anyone in this forum has literature or research on hearing damage due to shooting black powder firearms, please let me know. The leading cause of hearing loss is something called presbycosis. (sp?). It is age related hearing loss. So if you are older and been shooting a lot you can expect your hearing to suffer even if you wear hearing protection. I can guarantee your hearing will be damaged if you don't wear protection. Loss of high frequency hearing goes first. A friend with 5 tours of duty in Afghanistan came home with tinnitus and noticeable hearing loss. There is a lawsuit pending on defective ear plugs issued to our troops. Another friend with cochlear implants still doesn't hear clearly. Hearing aids can amplify sounds but not restore the high frequency hearing. Once you lose the cilia in your ear your deafness is not really reversible. Protect what you have left.

Latest posts

Back