• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Electronic Hearing Protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair, somewhere. They do work and cost about $39.00 many years ago, Probably same or less. You can hear (amplified if you wish) normal conversations then when rifle fires it is muffed down to nothing. Mine ate batteries so I just use the cheap muffs I have had for 30 years.

I never really trusted them, if they failed and amplified the rifle report you'd be deaf. Like my radar detector I just HAD to have. I still wouldn't speed, didn't trust it!

I use them for modern guns and with the muzzleloader if I shooting from the shed. They work great! I can actually hear people talking that I cannot hear when I take them off. They work so good that I bought another set with Bluetooth capability so I have something to listen to and take my mind off one of my least favorite jobs, mowing the lawn!
Robby

I use the Walker's that have a small neck collar with a retractable cord to ears buds. They don't interfere with your gunstock like the ear muffs do. Absolutely love them. I can hear everything I want to better than without them & they cancel the harsh muzzle blast very well. Sometimes I forget I'm using it, it's so light & unobtrusive. I think I gave around $100 for them. Worth every penny.

I use mine for hunting and shooting. I like them because you can still hear what is going on around you and yet are protected.
Pros
Always in, you don't have to fiddle with sponge plugs in the event that you are surprised by game and are protected
You can have a normal conversation at the range and someone can get your attention without having to yell.
It's pro gear like having the green mountain barrel, people know your serious when you pop those babies out.
Cons
The fidelity isn't like your real ears and the wind obscures sound.
Batteries are cheap but cost about a dollar a pop. My batteries are these special air zinc or something that die regardless of use but last about 3 days of continuous use.
At the range, the shots are safe but still loudish and come through the speakers. Foam plugs make the shots sound ten miles away and I prefer that.
Sounds that you hear while wearing foam ear plugs like your own breathing are still present with the electronic ones.

Mine are walker silencer. I got them on Amazon for a little over 100 bucks.

Yes I use them. They work great and it's nice to be able to talk to friends and protect my hearing. They are just shooting grade protective ear covers with microphones attached on the outside and speakers on the inside. The electronics only allow (Limit or Compress) the decibel level that goes to the speakers.

I've had a couple and can say they are fantastic. If the cut in is fast enough you can even hear a high velocity round hit steel at 100 yards. The best for the money I have found are the Peltor Sport Tactical 100. A lot of folks like the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well. I find the Peltors way more comfortable for a similar price. I got mine on sale for about $50.

I have two pairs of Peltors and three pairs of Caldwells (I used to have kids that went with me shooting, none maintained interest, darn it).
The Peltors take four batteries per, are more expensive, have to check the switch to see if you forgot and left them on and go through batteries quicker.
The Caldwell only use two batteries, have a light on the side to let you know if you left them on, and batteries last a long time.
If I needed another pair I would buy the cheaper Caldwells again.

Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Shooting (midwayusa.com)

I use them and find them to be very useful. I can hear conversation a hundred yards away but can't tell what direction it's coming from. :dunno:

Since I mostly shoot alone. I use the sponge 32db. plugs with the 33db. muffs over them. When hunting, I use just the plugs as soon as I get settled or it gets close to sundown. I never hear the deer coming anyway. They just pop up in the food plot. I have some electronic Howard Leight muffs, but I don't use them.

I use the Walker's that have a small neck collar with a retractable cord to ears buds. They don't interfere with your gunstock like the ear muffs do. Absolutely love them. I can hear everything I want to better than without them & they cancel the harsh muzzle blast very well. Sometimes I forget I'm using it, it's so light & unobtrusive. I think I gave around $100 for them. Worth every penny.
I use those too...especially for long guns. 12 hour runtime. I did modify the earbuds to take the 3-flange buds however. The spongies don't last very long.
I also use Peltor 500s. Primarily for handguns and general comfort all day at the range.

wm

Never used em for shooting, but have used em in a noisy chute house working cattle.

They do work. Cancels out all the bellering and chute noise and allowed one to communicate.

I just wanted to add that the Walkers I use are rechargeable & don't need batteries!
I use those too...especially for long guns. 12 hour runtime. I did modify the earbuds to take the 3-flange buds however. The spongies don't last very long.
I also use Peltor 500s. Primarily for handguns and general comfort all day at the range.

wm
I'm not familiar with the 3-flange buds. How did you modify the Walker to use them????

I have a set that was sold by Dillon, the reloading equipment company. I use them on light caliber stuff, and even when I mow the yard. The amazing thing is, I can hear birds chirping at the range that I normally would miss. I only use them with handguns, since this type of muff seems to get in the way of rifle shooting. They do not suppress as well as traditional muffs, iirc the rating is 21 or so.

I just wanted to add that the Walkers I use are rechargeable & don't need batteries!

I'm not familiar with the 3-flange buds. How did you modify the Walker to use them????
Take the core out of one of the foamie buds, cut it in half and insert into the flanged bud. Instant adapter! You can use any silicone replacement ear bud you want.

wm

Back