• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Egg shaped vent hole on flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will see...wishing him all the luck...
I hope so.

I paid $790.00 after the coupon. With out the coupon it was well over $800.00 for it.

Formhow much I payed for this this is uneceptable workmanship.

I'm still waiting on word from the gunsmith and see if this will be covered under their warranty if it will be repared or replaced. If not ill try to see if I can get my money back. I'll try to see if I can get a prepaid shipping lable.

$790.00 does seem like a lot but when that is a hole paycheck it is a big deal

Last edited:
I had two ’custom’ rifles built several years ago. The individual who built them was in my estimation extremely careless. He drilled the vent hole on one rifle that was obviously oval shaped. He installed a vent liner in the oval shape vent hole that he drilled. The liner gave way after only a few shots. It narrowly missed me head by only a few inches and struck a tree I was standing next to, leaving a deep mark in the tree bark. I was standing several feet away from the shooter of that rifle when the liner failed.

how can you drill an oval hole ? With a dull drill bit that wanders in the hole as you continue to drilll, and not cleaning the bit regularly of metal chips.

That rifle was repaired. The second ‘custom ‘ rifle was nothing more than a rusted out, pitted sewer pipe mounted on what ultimately became firewood. It was never fired.

If it cannot be corrected, return it. Have it replaced or go to a competent gunsmith for help.

I had two ’custom’ rifles built several years ago. The individual who built them was in my estimation extremely careless. He drilled the vent hole on one rifle that was obviously oval shaped. He installed a vent liner in the oval shape vent hole that he drilled. The liner gave way after only a few shots. It narrowly missed me head by only a few inches and struck a tree I was standing next to, leaving a deep mark in the tree bark. I was standing several feet away from the shooter of that rifle when the liner failed.

how can you drill an oval hole ? With a dull drill bit that wanders in the hole as you continue to drilll, and not cleaning the bit regularly of metal chips.

That rifle was repaired. The second ‘custom ‘ rifle was nothing more than a rusted out, pitted sewer pipe mounted on what ultimately became firewood. It was never fired.

If it cannot be corrected, return it. Have it replaced or go to a competent gunsmith for help.
For how much I paid for this it is unecceptable workmanship
Will see...wishing him all

I'll see what my options are after the gunsmith contacts me.

I'll try tree if I can get a prepaid shipping lable because I do not want to spend any more money on this and if they have to fix this at cost that's part of running a business when you allow terrible workmanship to be shipped to customers.

I would have to ask what we are looking at here. It would seem to be an Indian made all metal Scottish pistol. Did the seller drill the touchhole for you or did he have a "smith" do it and was there an extra charge for this service? I did a quick search among the 3 more prominent sellers of Indian guns and found the following prices (US $): $369, $399, $475; all well below what you paid.

That's sloppy work and it looks like he may have run into the breech plug and chosen the easiest way around the issue. The touchhole may work as is but it's very amateurish and not acceptable to me.

It looks like the one I paid $50 AUD. for some years ago in India except mine has a half inch of plug behind the optimal position for the touch hole (mine’s not drilled).
The OP’s photo would seem to show less, I’d check the plug threads as a priority; the touch hole would also need to go up at an angle as the position of the pan seems low 9it is on/ mine).
I‘d go for a refund as the price is excessive to a degree.

back in the day vent holes were drilled over size so that when loading they would self prime, with the frizzen closed. saving primming the pan. jmho.

Back