• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Effective range for the .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
karwelis said:
any newbie reading this would be so discouraged by this that they would probably sell their guns and do something else.

I don't think so,,I think they'll actually understand the ballistic capabilities of the Traditional firearm and PRB,,
And know that it's sight adjustment that makes the distant target available and not a non-existant "Flat" trajectory of a round ball.
If you want to continue to convince yourself that your rifle is "flat" shooting, I wish you peace in your judgement and decision.
:v :surrender:

This thread is incredible...it just keeps going on and I don't know what's worse:

1) The one poster's complete lack of understanding of ballistics, and/or misuse of terminology;

2) The inability to comprehend the many civil and/or pointed explanations that have repeatedly been given to educate him;

3) An ego based devotion to arm chair theory;

4) Or all of the above;

Its one thing to simply have a misunderstanding about something at the outset, and accept corrective logic and fact based replies that are provided.
But to then continue to spout the same theory in spite of facts to the contrary...AND...to do so in a caustic manner is way over the top...laughable really.

The original poster was KentuckyMan who was asking about the hunting range of his .50 cal halfstock.

All of his answers (when he wasn't making a 'tongue in cheek' response) indicate he fully understands the correct answers that have been given by many of our members and that he appreciates the information.

It is the responses of a few others that has turned this into a ongoing discussion of how flat is "flat" and why a .50 caliber roundball fired at 2000 feet per second has slowed down to about 900 feet per second when it has traveled 150 yards.

Zonie said:
The original poster was KentuckyMan who was asking about the hunting range of his .50 cal halfstock.

All of his answers (when he wasn't making a 'tongue in cheek' response) indicate he fully understands the correct answers that have been given by many of our members and that he appreciates the information.

It is the responses of a few others that has turned this into a ongoing discussion of how flat is "flat" and why a .50 caliber roundball fired at 2000 feet per second has slowed down to about 900 feet per second when it has traveled 150 yards.

Thank you...not the original poster...correction made in my comments

In re-reading all the posts there seems to be one post that pretty much lit the fuse so to speak which is usually the case, in most threads that go south or get touchy this is often the case and very often there is a common source, a "pattern" so to speak and this is usually due to a post that strays from fact or commonly accepted practice/theory... unless it is just my imagination :idunno:

tg said:
in most threads that go south or get touchy this is often the case and very often there is a common source, a "pattern" so to speak and this is usually due to a post that strays from fact or commonly accepted practice/theory... unless it is just my imagination :idunno:

Now, don't you know that perception is reality? Yep, that is what all of the social scientist tell us. So, one's perception of reality, no matter how delusional, is to be accepted as equal in the framework of ideas.

So, if Karwalis believes that his rifle shoots flat, then it must shoot flat, no matter what definition one attributes to "flat". No ifs, ands, or buts. :bull: :bull: :barf:

God bless

No butts! must be hard to sit down :hmm: I don't think I like that perception concept :shake:

In response to hanshi...

Do you mean LSD, not LDS.. As in the Latter day saints.. LOL that would be funny...

Moving on....

In response to karwelis

Dude Cool it. You made your point, you made a what we would call an odd comment way back when, and we had our fun with it. Now it's time to end this topic.. I'm sorry of thinking that you were Crazy, I think you first comment was funny more or less. Not trying to offend, but was clearly joking. And I apologize :surrender: if that joking has offended you.. Ok.. Bud enough is enough. :thumbsup:

In response to roundball

I Agreed. As I'm starting to see the abuse and the lack of a real debate. This post needs to rest, and we all have to move on. :dead:

In response to Zonie

Totally Agree!!! I got my answers, and sorry for being off the mark with you. More respect needs to be practice, and topics with answers to them should not go on for this long, unless there is more to this debate. :patriot:

No other response are needed....

At our shoots in LaGrande Oregon. We shoot siloettes of bears at 200 yds. If the wind is dead still you can hit them if you aim about 36" high. The load is 54cal. prb, 58grs. FFG Goex.
I killed a dear at 135 yds 2 years ago with an english sporting rifle. got it right through the heart. It has a Getz barrel 1:66 twist. The load was 54cal. prb. 85grs fffg Goex. The rifle has a double leaf sight. One blade is zeroed at 150yds. one blade is zeroed at 100yds. The ball drops about 20" between 100 and 150yds.
There is no such thing as a gun that shoots flat. If you think so you have to argue with the laws of physics. It aint possible. I have a 257 weatherby tha tshoots at 3600fps. It doesn't shoot flat. No gun does.

That stuff really does mess with your mind. I remember it was some combo of initials. :bull: :rotf:

tg said:
No butts! must be hard to sit down :hmm: I don't think I like that perception concept :shake:

Now that is funny. I once saw a stage hypnotist that suggested to the people he was working with, that their butts had fallen off. Each one slid off of their chair onto the floor because they couldn't sit down without a butt. Funny stuff.

As to perception, the educated idiots, in academia, don't seem to consider that perception is really a distortion of reality. However, the idea that perception is a distortion seems to be common knowledge among mental heath professionals.

Just one last thought. If a rifle shoots flat, would the path of the projectile be tangent to the periphery of the earth? Or, would the path of the projectile be concentric to the periphery of the earth? :idunno:

God bless

By the laws of phycics an object falls at the same rate of speed no matter how fast it is moving. In order for a gun to shoot flat, the bullet must hit the target at the same time it leaves the barrel. This means that the bullet would be traveling faster than the speed of light. At that speed there is a time warp. No need to explain that. However the bullet would evaporate before it reached the target. Also the recoil would kill you. It's really not too smart to argue against this fact.
Ps. This old dest jockey has been shooting and making muzzle loaders for over 50 years.

Another inconvienient truth is --even light is effected by gravity so where does a lead ball stand in the realm of reallity.

This has been a very interesting thread for a new comer to this forum to experience! I was reading along quite interested and learning a great deal until the "this is manure" poster's comment. Then I thought - uh-oh, someone has passed some bad gas - here's where the discussion is going to degenerate into several pages of mud slinging and juvenile insults. This is what seems to happen in nearly every other forum I have experienced. I have given up on many of them as a result.

Well, hats off to you guys. You kept the discussion pretty much on track, with a good deal of tangental humor used in responding to the 'manure' poster's uncalled for comment. Poor guy - some folks just seem to lack basic skills in communication and self awareness and can't understand why folks get mad at them. But still, perhaps he got more attention from you all than he deserved? Just a thought, as they say..

Cheers and best wishes,
Kevin

Me thinks it has something to do with trajectory and maximum ordinate. :grin: :grin: :grin:
:rotf:

Back