• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Effective range for the .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necchi said:
Lighten up :barf:
trucker's not the only one that thinks this comment was nut's! :barf:
karwelis said:
this is manure, my 50 cal hawken shoots very very flat out to 150 yards!!!!!! and thats with only 60gr of fffg.

Your rifle seems to defy several laws of physics, it must be a very special gun

Nah it's Magic powder, tall sights, or maybe karwelis doesn't wash his hands after handling lead balls, before eating a life time of short ribs for dinner... anyways I thank him for the funny comment. Best one in the house so far. and I personally think it's magic powder. :stir:

Thanks for the gun stats...
BTW

OH THAT Gun.. Is it double barrel??? It looks like it has a second barrel at the bottom of it. Tell be how that works :wink:

KentuckyMan said:
Thanks for the gun stats...
BTW

OH THAT Gun.. Is it double barrel??? It looks like it has a second barrel at the bottom of it. Tell be how that works :wink:

Its a swivel breech or "wender".
Put it on 1/2 cock, squeeze the TG bow to unlock and twist the second barrel into position.
The basic design is about as old as the flintlock.
Timothy Murphy who served with Morgan's Riflemen is thought to have had one.
Dan

"Lets not rat pack him. Let it go"

Sometimes the opinion is so far out it is hard not to toss a bit of flak at the poster, this kind of psuedo ballistics is not good for the new ML hunters on the list,as mentioned there would be a pretty good rainbow with a .50 out at 150 yds even with a stout load, and for hunting any wind will give you a headache side ways, one really needs to give it some thought and know your gun to take that shot, that is what centerfires and peeps/scopes are for, I have helped track down several wounded deer that were shot with hard hitting flatshooting ML's out past 100 yds :shake:

Thanks for reminding me TG, I forgot to mention that a 5 mph cross wind will drift that ball more than a foot, and 5 mph isn't much wind. Reading wind is more difficult than estimating range.

I know. We all know. My .223 doesn't shoot flat to 150 yds, and no ML in the world can compare to the .223

I just don't feel we should make any bigger of a deal than we have already.

Even a beginner should see the real truth.

Peace bro.

I thought I'd throw this in as I don't really see two sides, just misunderstanding of use of terms. "Flat shooting" is used by virtually all shooters to define various qualities. And yes a ball/bullet starts dropping as soon as it clears the bore; We all understand gravity. Elmer Keith called the .41 mag "flatter" shooting than the .44 mag. Ed Magivern (spelling?) called the .357 a good 600 yard cartridge!!! These guys could hit targets at 200 plus yards with .38spls! Of course they were something else, again.

Back when I shot a lot of handgun I had no problem hitting cans at 140 yards with .45acp powderpuff target loads. That's beyond me now. Both of these guys rewrote the book on long distance shooting. So "flat shooting" means different things to different people and has no definitive/real world meaning except to the shooter at that time. I remember an aphorism from physics that sums it up perfectly: no wire infinitely fine and pulled on each end by infinite force can be absolutely straight. We're all up to date....hopefully. :thumbsup:

tg said:
"Lets not rat pack him. Let it go"

Sometimes the opinion is so far out it is hard not to toss a bit of flak at the poster, this kind of psuedo ballistics is not good for the new ML hunters on the list,as mentioned there would be a pretty good rainbow with a .50 out at 150 yds even with a stout load, and for hunting any wind will give you a headache side ways, one really needs to give it some thought and know your gun to take that shot, that is what centerfires and peeps/scopes are for, I have helped track down several wounded deer that were shot with hard hitting flatshooting ML's out past 100 yds :shake:

We dont always agree philisophically but you are SPOT ON HERE! Good Point! :hatsoff:

karwelis said:
well i asked some reputable folks, like dave from trak of the wolf, don getz (barrel maker) and a few others, and guess what, they agree with me. i think these folks have more experience than you do, and have forgotten more than you will ever know.

Well, that is not exactly true. Here is what Don Getz said in response to your post on another forum.

"back to the same definition.......what is "flat". Are you trying to tell us that when you shoot a roundball out of your
Hawken, it doesn't "drop", all the way out to 150 yards? I may have been born in the dark but it wasn't last night........Don"

The other very knowledgeable people than on that same forum, who have infinitely more experience and knowledge than either of us, don't agree with you either.

Just wanting to keep the record straight.

God bless

Okay, guys, one more time: no firearm truly shoots "flat" by definition and Karwelis understands this just as well as the rest of us. Everyone on this forum has used "flat" in reference to rifles at some time or other so what we're talking about is "flat" in relation to the farthest distance one can still hit reasonably well and still use sights and target. Elmer Keith stuck up plenty of front sight, perched the target on top and called the .41mag "flat shooting". If one is a good shot, as I believe Karwelis to be, hitting distant targets and crediting the rifle as much as anything else, seems to be quite honest. Let's all shake and lay our tomahawks aside.

You are being a spoil-sport, now. I was kind of enjoying these new theories on how the Laws of Physics, and the Law of Gravity were suspended when it comes to shooting certain guns. :blah: :rotf: :haha: :thumbsup: :grin:

:youcrazy: the earth is square shape.. man you guys need to stop eating that lead for breakfast. :hatsoff:

You ain't one of them fellers what thinks the earth is round like a punkin ball are ya'!!? If the earth twern't flat we'd all fall off the blasted thing! And if the population keeps explodin', this earth is gonna get so heavy IT'S gonna fall. :shake: And if these folks keep usin' them solar collectors for heat and electricity, they are gonna suck all the dang power outta ol' Sol and cause it to burn out. :hmm:

And yep, this here's been fun but my evil twin is one O' them signtists and he explained all about blisticks and stuff (he's reel smart) so I just passed it along to you fellers soz you knows how it works. I do like ta have phun and read tha argyen goin on back & forth. Well, you fellers take care and don't go to neer the edge cause ye will fall off fer sure. Keep yer blades sharp and them rifles loaded and yer powder away from the fire. :rotf: :haha: :blah: :wink:

Oh, and I don't eat lead; it's all that LDS from the '60s. It'll catch up with you every time. :rotf:

KentuckyMan said:
necchi said:
Your rifle seems to defy several laws of physics, it must be a very special gun

of course you people have an explanation for the bumble bee right? physics says it cant fly, but it does. you gotta love that attitudes here, any newbie reading this would be so discouraged by this that they would probably sell their guns and do something else. ive had similar arguments about effective killing range.

Latest posts

Back