• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Educate me on borescopes, please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did not want to hijack another thread showing some magnificent pictures using a Teslong WiFi borescope to ask this. I know nothing about borescopes except I want one. Did some reading and am confused, not an unnatural condition. The ones I saw had a 24" rod. How does one get to the bottom of a 42" barrel with that? For those of you that have one, what do you look for prior to buying? Thanks.

The search term you should be using is "endoscope" and "usb". Most of the ones that will pop up have a meter long cable or better. Mine is about 72"

Search for Teslong endoscope, plenty long and about $50 for Android or Apple phone. You'll see what's really inside the barrel as opposed to the bore light deception. All barrels are not created equal!

Glad you started this thread! I saw an older model Teslong on Amazon that was Android/USB connector that was 45", but the current models didn't appear to have anything past 36". I looked around the Teslong website and didn't see anything.

Hard to justify for just my rifles, so something I can use around the engines, check the dryer vent, AC coils, and if I'm feeling froggy, use the Horrorscope mode to look under the stove!

Any other models being used out there that are maybe iphone compatible that can reach the bottom of the 42s or even a 44?

I did not want to hijack another thread showing some magnificent pictures using a Teslong WiFi borescope to ask this. I know nothing about borescopes except I want one. Did some reading and am confused, not an unnatural condition. The ones I saw had a 24" rod. How does one get to the bottom of a 42" barrel with that? For those of you that have one, what do you look for prior to buying? Thanks.
Guessing you were referring to the borescope photographs I posted. I have one of the 36” flexible Teslong WiFi borescopes. As you noticed it takes great photographs. Wish it was a bit longer than 36”, but it was a gift recommended by a shooting friend not familiar with traditional muzzleloaders. Short answer, dear old mom taught me to never look a gift horse in the mouth. Imagine it goes multiples of that if gift giver is your bride. Common sense in my opinion. Only have a ‘few’ barrels over 36”, plus kind of know what to expect at the breech and make do with what I now have. For now. Mine came with multiple 90° lenses that work great in multiple calibers. Believe I saw a 47” long flexible version that might be worth exploring. Technology is improving every day.

Make sure your phone is the correct version. Even if not they will work on a laptop through the camera program.

The $12 eBay bore scopes do the job but don't focus well for a side view. I put this gun up well cleaned with Rem-oil in the bore, 6 months later I got it out to find a rusty barrel. After a through cleaning with a scotch bright pad and oil my el-cheapo bore scope showed some pitting at the breech.
Snapshot000000.jpg

I had bought the Teslong 36" flexible borescope recently (to help solve my 'stuck ball - with drill bit' issue - thread started in March.) It worked perfectly. However, after VERY loosely winding it up to fit back in the case, it no longer worked. I had read comments about how fragile it is. Will contact their customer service tomorrow. Maybe the rigid version is sturdier? However, rigid is only 26". Would be great to have a longer version. Would be worth an extra $100 to have one that really lasts.

I did the same thing, I put my borescope down a barrel and only got a hazy shadow of an image. While reaching down to pull the USB cable out of my PC I noticed the tiny switch, "what is this" I thought, I fiddled with it and found out just what you did and put my borescope back in service.

How about this tale of woo. I needed a bore scope, my son researched them and told me what to order. I bought it and and after It came I found out the wise ass had me get one that you needed a smart phone to use. I still use an old flip phone. So Son has a bore scope and I don't, I still love the kid since he gave me 2 granddaughters and his nick name is right "anything for a buck Danny". 🙂

I hadn't even noticed the brightness control switch until mentioned above. Tried adjusting low to high, still not working. Put the camera up to different things, no change; just this image:
Teslong 04.30.2021.jpg

Will send to Teslong customer service and see what they say.

My experience...
I bought one on ebay and it works great, but not in a barrel.
The focal distance makes it useless for inspecting rifling.
My recommendation would be to get one that guys on here have tried and found to give good imaging.

I hadn't even noticed the brightness control switch until mentioned above. Tried adjusting low to high, still not working. Put the camera up to different things, no change; just this image:View attachment 75816
Will send to Teslong customer service and see what they say.

Have you tried cleaning debris/oil from the lens with glass cleaner or alcohol?

I find my el-cheapo scopes show rifling very well, my first conked out after a few years. This is from scope #2, this is an image from a TC breech, the area is not rusted, this scope imparts a brownish tint to the images. I was focused on the flash chamber to show a guy how such patten breeches were drilled. I could pull the scope out a little and zero in on the rifling.

My first scope was better than my second as shown in the picture of my Bill Large barrel with liner threaded into the breechplug, the rifle was gift from a great friend.

TC breech 2.jpg

large barrel.JPG

Wish I'd read this, w/ brands listed before getting mine from eBay. (I've misplaced the box, or I'd name the brand.)
It's good - much better than a drop light or bore drop mirror-but not as clear as these pictures. The lens only gets limited peripheral focus.

Away from the breech, adding a drop mirror reflects enough to improve the image.

I plan to rig an angled mirror, to see if I can get a better image.

Still, it has paid for itself by showing that the "clean" bore, which sent back clean patches, needed another round of cleaning to get and keep it satisfactorily clean.

If it helps anyone choose, the scope I use (& occasionally criticize) is a DEPSTECH model WF028.
Since I got it for other inspections (it's far longer than needed for bore inspection), I guess I really can't complain too loudly.

I had never heard of Depstech before. Looks like an excellent choice, and they have a nice selection of products at good prices.

Teslong is sending a replacement for my 36" flexible borescope. I had tried adjusting the brightness control and cleaned the lens. Nothing helped. Sent the picture of the image posted above, and they said it looks like the cable was damaged. And I was so careful with it!

Someone posted an amazon review of the scope, showing a tube that they store the cable in. I'll probably do the same. Maybe that will keep it in working order.

Back