• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

EBAY Muzzleloading Overloaded With Junk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four hours of scrolling Ebay for a couple of small items has me seeing spots and "red". Far too many horribly priced absolute junk, mislabelled, and obvious fakes are to say the least - disappointing. Added to the beyond stupid asking prices sky-high "Shipping and handling" costs, it's a wonder anything listed is ever sold. All I needed was a pair of wedge plates and perhaps a ramrod. I looked at over 900 listed items, killed an entire evening. Won't do that again.

I took notice almost 8 years ago, a seller in the deep south had built up quite a business buying production muzzle loaders, stripping them and selling off the parts. I bought several parts from him for a few years, back when prices were still reasonable. Heck look at gunbroker, people go to Cabelas buy cap and ball revolvers and list them immediately on GB for a $70-$100 mark up.

If you want a real eye opener look at TC Cherokee that has been stripped on EBAY right now Barrel stripped of sights $549.00. I understand free enterprise but saddens me that these guns are stripped down and priced so high that most cant afford to buy them and put them back together. Recently I have found a lot of parts going to yard sales, estate sales and private auctions.

No guarantee, but occasionally it's worth looking on gunbroker.com for accessories.
I picked up a nice 54 cal flinter from them it was an Investarms Gemmer Hawkens

Attachments

• 955DE47E-FFBA-4869-88F6-0A327FE3AEAB.jpeg
    955DE47E-FFBA-4869-88F6-0A327FE3AEAB.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 51
Four hours of scrolling Ebay for a couple of small items has me seeing spots and "red". Far too many horribly priced absolute junk, mislabelled, and obvious fakes are to say the least - disappointing. Added to the beyond stupid asking prices sky-high "Shipping and handling" costs, it's a wonder anything listed is ever sold. All I needed was a pair of wedge plates and perhaps a ramrod. I looked at over 900 listed items, killed an entire evening. Won't do that again.
Well you should be glad anything is listed for Gun related items. They screen adds so closely it hard to list anything.

One upside from the vultures parting out T/Cs, the remaining ones will go up in value as the supply shrinks

I just purchased a stainless Base Pin For a ROA this week off of EBay. Glad it was there as I called all over the country trying to find one. Seemed expensive but the gun is useless without it! Greg

Interesting to see they allow a "stock" complete with everything except the barrel/ramrrod. Then, look a bit and ..surprise...there's the barrel. Both at inflated prices. There are, of course, bargains to be had and frankly a wider selection of some obscure parts than other venues but gosh darn it a bit daunting when the seller either mislabels or misrepresents.

Gone are the days when gunshows were truly gunshows with tables full of parts vendors, reasonably-priced goods, and shunning of candles, jerky, and garbage.
I enjoy setting up a couple of tables to peddle my overage/unfinished projects and such but after a "snatch and grab" of two pistols from a dealer with resulting chase through the show and tackling by police officers, it's a different thing for me.

I have to agree with you. When I need something, I'll check the box stores, and then check ebay! Most times I can buy from the online or brick and mortar stores nearly at half price of ebay!!! Basically ebay is a ripoff and junk center.

My latest recent foray into the internet bidding world was to replace my Italian Zouave flask for the bird season. My old one served me well, but the sides were gradually coming unsoldered. The idea of 1/3 lb of 2f getting flashed and going off at my side, while unlikely, did not exactly appeal to me either. It was entertaining. I found the same flask in the same condition for around $10. The lister was honest enough to admit that his was coming unsoldered too. I saw the same flask offered as "Italian Antique" for sale for as much as $350 on some sites. Finally I found a slightly earlier version of the same flask in good shape for $9, on another site similar to ETSY. I wrote the guy, he said the solder lines were tight, so I bought it. Shipping and tax brought the purchase up to $17+, but I am happy and good to go. I switched spouts, and am busy hanging this "new" flask into my kit where the old one resided for so long. Say what you will about internet shopping, but I would have searched yard sales and flea markets til Kingdom Come for a suitable replacement flask, wihout paying the $50 for a new one of even lesser quality today.
You are correct. More than half the time when I got to a brick and mortar store, well you know, I end up doing a duckduckgo search for what I need. Internet shopping is an easy way to go, drawback is you have to wait for it to ship.

One upside from the vultures parting out T/Cs, the remaining ones will go up in value as the supply shrinks

Never was a truer word spoken ! Last week I was at the range with My three T/C muzzle loaders, Seneca .36, Cherokee .45, Hawken .50, and 3 Colt 1851 Navies just spending the day shooting. Lots of questions, but one individual fell in love with the Seneca and said he had to have it. After some time I was facing 7- $100 bills. I thought he was crazy at the time, but as time went on I was beginning to think I was crazy for even thinking about selling it. Got it a long time ago for a good price at a gun shop, had some rifling issues. Lots of memories with this gun hunting and shooting in matches, and other people shooting it. Guess I am crazy I kept it:dunno:

Never was a truer word spoken ! Last week I was at the range with My three T/C muzzle loaders, Seneca .36, Cherokee .45, Hawken .50, and 3 Colt 1851 Navies just spending the day shooting. Lots of questions, but one individual fell in love with the Seneca and said he had to have it. After some time I was facing 7- $100 bills. I thought he was crazy at the time, but as time went on I was beginning to think I was crazy for even thinking about selling it. Got it a long time ago for a good price at a gun shop, had some rifling issues. Lots of memories with this gun hunting and shooting in matches, and other people shooting it. Guess I am crazy I kept it:dunno:
The only rifle or pistol of any kind that I won't sell if the price is right, is one gifted to me by an immediate family member.🙂

I agree the downside is having to scroll through pages of mislabeled junk, but I have also benefited by the seller not knowing what he was selling. For example, last fall I guy had listed on one of our local classified sites, two muzzle loading double shotguns for sale for $75. One was a little 20 made by a company I'd never heard of, but the second was a Navy Arms (made by Pedersoli) 12 ga in great shape. I figured he meant $75 each, but when I talked to him he told me $75 was for both. I told him I'd give him $100 if he held them for me until I could get there. He was an hour away. When I arrived, he not only gave me the shotguns, but three nice cleaning rods, a half can of FFG black powder, two new tins of percussion caps, a quart bottle full of #4 shot and some black powder cleaning solution. Sometimes muddling through a bunch of manure can pay off.

With far fewer manufacturers turning out traditional M/L's, parts are drying up. We are a niche just like folks who spent years and many thousands of dollars restoring Model T's, Model A's, Hupmobiles, etc. with what appears to be little growth prospect.

Point in fact - friend is selling a fully restored, running Model T asking $6,000 with one prospective buyer. The car was wll over $20K to restore. My son works in the firearms industry, advises we are becoming less a part of the market every year.

Expendable "toy" income rests with 60 year olds. They buy what they wanted at an age they couldn't afford. Witness the softening antique car market and enlarging muscle car, "rat rod", and 50's - 60's restoration/customization. Black plastic appears to be the preferred stock material, 209 primers, and in-lines. Sad.

Numrich arms or Gun Parts Corp. For the ramrod or brass parts Treso has a bunch of both.

With far fewer manufacturers turning out traditional M/L's, parts are drying up. We are a niche just like folks who spent years and many thousands of dollars restoring Model T's, Model A's, Hupmobiles, etc. with what appears to be little growth prospect.

Point in fact - friend is selling a fully restored, running Model T asking $6,000 with one prospective buyer. The car was wll over $20K to restore. My son works in the firearms industry, advises we are becoming less a part of the market every year.

Expendable "toy" income rests with 60 year olds. They buy what they wanted at an age they couldn't afford. Witness the softening antique car market and enlarging muscle car, "rat rod", and 50's - 60's restoration/customization. Black plastic appears to be the preferred stock material, 209 primers, and in-lines. Sad.
You're right: times change, people change, manufacturers change & they come and go due to demand.

sheriff John, i tend to agree with you, but,
i am surrounded by much younger neighbors it seems. in the last 30 years here i have turned each into a muzzleloading fanatic. seems one session breathing the white smoke from a muzzle loader, be it percussion, Flint, rifle or handgun and they are addicted.
as humans we tend to be nostalgic of those cars we rode in when we were young. as humans we also tend to yearn for a simpler time in history where we can relax. or not

That is a true statement, but like the demise of Model T prices, so will go the way of the T/C and maybe even muzzleloaders (hopefully not though).

I used to do a lot of shopping on ebay for reloading equipment . . . a lot. Also for dead soft lead for casting roundballs & making my own alloy for my unmentionable bullets. Found a reasonable deal a while back for 20 lbs. @ about $2.00 lb. shipped. I, like others here had to sift through hundreds of offerings in order to find this. I think I'll just deal with Rotometals the next time.

I used to do a lot of shopping on ebay for reloading equipment . . . a lot. Also for dead soft lead for casting roundballs & making my own alloy for my unmentionable bullets. Found a reasonable deal a while back for 20 lbs. @ about $2.00 lb. shipped. I, like others here had to sift through hundreds of offerings in order to find this. I think I'll just deal with Rotometals the next time.
I can’t imagine paying shipping on lead. I will be trying to sell a BUNCH of lead in the near future for my best friends widow. My buddy told me shortly before he passed that he had over 700 lbs. altho most of it isn’t soft enough for my liking. Greg

I can’t imagine paying shipping on lead. I will be trying to sell a BUNCH of lead in the near future for my best friends widow. My buddy told me shortly before he passed that he had over 700 lbs. altho most of it isn’t soft enough for my liking. Greg
I used to ship lead bullets and I would pack them in the bulk rate USPS boxes. Weight doesn't matter.

Back