• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

eBay guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I suspect that there are unwritten things to know about selling & buying black powder guns on eBay. I know eBay policy allows sales of gun parts but not complete, functional guns. Some sellers are "getting around" the policy by selling parts guns. I just looked at a rifle on there(eBay) that was listed as "incomplete" because only the barrel wedge was not included.
I know I'm not revealing secrets that the powers that be at eBay haven't already figured out. Can someone, maybe in a PM, clue me in on the "unspoken/unwritten" code?

As for specifics I don't know but I have see a lot of ads where the seller would list the stock in one ad and the barrel in another with a note on each to view the "other' items he had up for auctions.

I think "no complete guns capable of firing" would sum it up.

Many eBay sellers that have muzzleloaders listed do it in multiple listings. They get around the rules by let's say listing the barrel, then the lock and stock Etc.
If you click on their other items for sale you'll see if you buy all the listing you'll have a complete gun and generally way more than they are worth...;)

The last barrel I purchased from e-bay was a total fiasco, back in 1996, I swore them off as well as pay-pal for identity theft. I do business directly with the store or individual if possible. I know, people have good luck with these two entities for years, but one time is all it takes to sour my stomach on them, especially when a call is made to correct a problem and it is an offshore tele-center refusing to refer the grievance to a US representive while all the time acting like I shouldn't have a problem with identity theft and the loss of funds.
I did get the barrel, but only because I had the luxury of tracking the seller down and confronting her. Pay-pal, convenient, but too global to be safe as it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
The company had only been online for a year in 1996 a lot has changed since then. I've had an account with them starting in 1998. I've had a few problems with sellers over that time but every time I've gotten refunded without issue. Just a few months ago I purchased a vintage Singer sewing machine that I didn't receive from England, it took a little longer due to international shipping but I did get refunded in full.

They are doing nothing different from the auto-salvage business. You take a
clunker and break it into parts you double your money or more. People will
get around rules and that is human nature. What ebay is trying to prevent
is someone buying a complete gun and doing damage leading to lawsuits.
If you assemble parts-you are manufacturing a gun on your own and
ebay is off the hook. Who cares. We need sources for parts.

If you buy from EBAY as a "guest" you will have a hard time getting a refund on your purchased returned item I found this out the hard way. It took me over a month to get a refund and I had to jump through hoops to finally get it. It is almost impossible to talk to a real person and computer links take you in a big circle. :eek: :doh::mad:

My wife passed away in 2007. She had a PayPal account with debit card. I called them and explained that I wanted to close the account as she was gone. They said sure, we will send you a form to fill out. An envelope arrived with 7 pages of documents. They wanted her personal info, notarized marriage certificate, an original death certificate, my info, and a court order giving me sole possession of all she owned, also signed by our children.
Not having any idea how much money was involved , I used it to fill the car with gas several times until it wouldn't work anymore then threw it away. Problem solved!!

Don

The company had only been online for a year in 1996 a lot has changed since then. I've had an account with them starting in 1998. I've had a few problems with sellers over that time but every time I've gotten refunded without issue. Just a few months ago I purchased a vintage Singer sewing machine that I didn't receive from England, it took a little longer due to international shipping but I did get refunded in full.
Yeah, eBay defaults to backing the buyer now to keep people shopping. Even an honest mistake from a seller will get the buyer a refund now.

Yeah, eBay defaults to backing the buyer now to keep people shopping. Even an honest mistake from a seller will get the buyer a refund now.
I kinda' felt sorry for the seller of the sewing machine because the shipper lost it along the way. That was a 300.00 setback for them unless they got reimbursed by the shipper.

Aside from a somewhat tacit anti-gun stance from both Paypal and Ebay (in reality the same entity), basically the rules of the "game" are structured to prevent any liability on the part of their corporation. That being said, as long as you are a bit cryptic in your messaging and not flying in the face of reason, the sale will proceed without interference (within legal guidelines). I find it best to "introduce" myself and sometimes attempt to communicate outside the watchful eye of "big brother" when possible. Generally those who will participate in one-on-one reasoned discourse have little to hide. I have even made a few friends along the way. Bottom line: If it is legal, then you can find a reasonable way around arbitrary rules instituted by the corporate liability mentality.

Back