• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Eating size hog down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Saturday went to my little secret spot with the sole purpose of shooting a eater size pig to barbecue.
I carried my TC big boar .58 loaded with .570 rb .018 ticking patch wonder wad over the powder 100 grains pyrodex RS and a musket nipple and cap. The pig came in right at dark my red hunting lights were on and i turned my red head lamp to low so i could see front and rear sight the pig was about 12 yards from my blind squeezed the trigger bang flop. Once the smoke cleared not even a wiggle or kick DRT

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 172
Hey that looks like a "piney woods rooter" that descends from spanish colonial
times. The longer the snout the more old spanish boar blood. Are you near the
"big thicket" they have rooters there? North Florida has those as does Louisiana.

Hey that looks like a "piney woods rooter" that descends from spanish colonial
times. The longer the snout the more old spanish boar blood. Are you near the
"big thicket" they have rooters there? North Florida has those as does Louisiana.
yes sir im very close to the big thicket, im in Lufkin just North of the big thicket

Nice job. That looks like excellent eating.
I've got to get myself back down south to do some pig hunting. That was something I didn't do when stationed down in Georgia, just never had time to do any hunting. I've got to make time, get south and nab some quality "red meat pork."

"its funny how pigs look different in different areas of the country"

Most likely influenced by the type of domesticated hogs raised in that area that escaped.

In Florida and Southern Gulf areas it is the descent from the
Boars brought by spanish who had domesticated wild boars
from europe, they got loose. More modern hogs have shorter
snouts. That is what is called a "piney woods rooter" by old
folks

This is a young one in neighbor's back yard from Appalachee Nat Forest. That type of hog is
from escaped spanish hogs from St Augustine fl that blanketed the South & E Texas
KIMG03841.jpg
the South and into Texas.
Around N fla they are called Piney Woods Rooters. Very mean and get big tusks on Boars.

These old spanish hogs have a blood line that dominates regular feral hogs.
They go all the way up to Missouri area. They are very fast, have a ridge down
back (rasor back) black fur sort of wirey. These hogs are the "Wild hog" of
fame. The males grow serious tusks and can gut a dog quick. They dine on
poisonous snakes and will ,when full-grown, make short work of a lone pit bull.
Now feral hogs can cross-breed with these, but the old rooter hog traits can
be seen as they dominate.

Last edited:
Here are so big ones we get north east of Austin along the San Gabriel river last spring. We couldn’t even get them in the Jeep! The sow we shot had huge loins that tasted amazing! You can see how her snout is shorter and she doesn’t have that ridged shoulder area....more of a feral hog. While the boar had the longer skinner snout and that razor back, so more of the Russian boar hogs or the European hogs. They taste really good as well but I have noticed their loin meat is not near as big as the feral hogs.

As soon as we thaw out I am ready to get at it again! I am working up a 45-70 black mz load with a 450 grain bullet to smash some piggies!!!🐖FA75FEFE-486C-42D5-A2B4-EC31A694D8B3.jpegE1008B26-EDD0-49D8-BF9E-17938C64F8D5.jpeg2A717E43-804E-42D6-AAB4-2C77841EBDF3.jpeg

Yep, those lean hogs that are black and have a long snout and especially those with that sharp, bristled spine certainly add up to true wild hogs. They don't get huge and heavy like a domestic hog. These massive behemoths weighing hundreds of pounds with spots and light colors are farm hogs gone feral. Any of them can be nasty dangerous though. In my native Georgia and in the SE in general razorbacks are to be found. But I've also seen light brown farm hogs gone feral. There are simply too many of them!

Back