• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy to make a powder horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buffalo takes more work than a cow horn. You have to remove a lot of materiel. Only then can you polish it with the results you are thinking of getting.
002 (1024x768).jpg
003 (1024x768).jpg
014 (800x600).jpg

It can really test your patience. Of course, if its a bit more work than you want to take on you can post the pics and P.M. me a price.....;)

I made one buffalo horn and can tell ya, it’s a bunch of work. Never did get it quite as smooth as Mr. Ames here but got it where it looked pretty nice rubbed with beeswax & buffed right good.

Do it. My first horns were buffalo. Worth the effort. Even if it does not turn out, you are only out your time. I used a scraper to remove material. A good sharp knife works good for scrapping.

FLeener

I took the bark of a buff horn with a 2 handed log stripper, made short work of it. Then used a knife to get it cleaned up then some sand paper and then a carpet knife to refine.

I did the initial cleaning up of a real rough horn with a floppy sanding wheel on a drill. I think it is a buff horn as it is dark. I picked it up for a couple of bucks at a garage sale.

I made a buffalo horn to go with my Thompson Center Renegade … didn't look that bad when I got mine, so I didn't have tp remove as much material, although it was much more work than a cow horn. The finish on mine is simply scraped down smooth with a sharp knife, then a few coats of pastewax (Butcher's wax, if I remember correctly) … nice sheen, but not the high-gloss-plastic effect. Your horn looks nice, by the way.

upload_2020-2-4_19-27-27.jpeg

upload_2020-2-4_19-28-5.jpeg

The horn is a long way from done but the flexible wheel and coarse disc worked well to get ride of the rough stuff. I learned a lesson on this one. If you are using power tools and even sand paper it is wise to use a dust mask when grinding or sanding on these nasty old horns.

Use a small-particulate dust filter. The cheap, disposable masks aren't good enough. Horn dust gets in the lungs and stays there. Chronic exposure can lead to emphysema.

I would only polish by scraping, then wet sanding with 400, 600, and 800 grits. Maybe a soft wheel with the appropriate compound after that.

Another opinion here, I think buffalo/bison horns look better with a satin finish (I like fine scraping). Too much polishing makes the black look plastic to me.

I agree with Brian, polished buffalo horns, to me , look too “ store baught” or like the cheap ones they sell from fleabay. I really like the scraped look on almost all my horns, especially buffalo horns. I made a couple of them from the raw... it was quite a challenge as I don’t use any power tools.. except a drill for the spout and pins. I hand file and rasp everything... takes a lot of elbow work for sure!

Latest posts

Back