• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Easy peezy loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend I coach for BP pistol commented on how after shooting my match pistols how easy they are to load and clean. What do you do to them? A few things. 1) Rounding (not coning) the crown. 2) Taper lapping and removing tight spots before the choke end. 3) Polishing finish w/ JB bore compound to a mirror finish. He asks if he can have most of the result without so much work. Yes, just do #3 for about 70% of the results. Also using a damp patch with dish soap and water on your patches then dab on a towel to leave them just moist. Leave the heavy grease patches to the hunters who have to leave their guns loaded for more than a few minutes...c

A friend I coach for BP pistol commented on how after shooting my match pistols how easy they are to load and clean. What do you do to them? A few things. 1) Rounding (not coning) the crown. 2) Taper lapping and removing tight spots before the choke end. 3) Polishing finish w/ JB bore compound to a mirror finish. He asks if he can have most of the result without so much work. Yes, just do #3 for about 70% of the results. Also using a damp patch with dish soap and water on your patches then dab on a towel to leave them just moist. Leave the heavy grease patches to the hunters who have to leave their guns loaded for more than a few minutes...c
Can you explain the way you carry out those different processes? They sound like they're all worthwhile to do.

Can you explain the way you carry out those different processes? They sound like they're all worthwhile to do.
I suggest watching you tube gunsmith vids. Many ways to do these things depending on your tools at hand... Again, most of the easy loading is from JB bore compound on a tight patch/ brush. About 100 passes cleaning and again until a bore light shows a sparkling bore. You may find you can use a tighter ball and patch combination with the same or less effort. This tighter combo may also make it possible to use light powder charges with good accuracy...c

I suggest watching you tube gunsmith vids. Many ways to do these things depending on your tools at hand... Again, most of the easy loading is from JB bore compound on a tight patch/ brush. About 100 passes cleaning and again until a bore light shows a sparkling bore. You may find you can use a tighter ball and patch combination with the same or less effort. This tighter combo may also make it possible to use light powder charges with good accuracy...c
BP bores never really wear down from use because of the lower velocities, right? The reason I ask is because unmentionable bores smooth out with use, so polishing those just reduces the life span and does to the bore what shooting does naturally.

If that is the case, then a polished bore in a BP firearm shouldn't result in the rifling just wearing down too far, too soon, right?

BP bores never really wear down from use because of the lower velocities, right? The reason I ask is because unmentionable bores smooth out with use, so polishing those just reduces the life span and does to the bore what shooting does naturally.

If that is the case, then a polished bore in a BP firearm shouldn't result in the rifling just wearing down too far, too soon, right?
Yes, but bore wear seems to be nothing with JB as claimed by JB. JB bore compound has been used by championship winning shooters in Pistol and rifle sports for over 50 years. My tech has origines in my other shooting sports...

You don’t really see unmentionable bores shot out unless you’re talking about the really high zoot magnums out there on the hairy edges of things. Then it’s often the throat that goes and the barrel can often be set back a few turns and re-chambered. Paper patched bullets will wear a bore faster than grease grooved bullets or patched ball.

But yes, you’re correct, polishing the muzzleloader bore will have negligible effect on its lifespan. I do this to every new gun that comes my way regardless of the condition of the bore. It doesn’t hurt and if northung else such barrels are easier to clean and less prone to leading.

You don’t really see unmentionable bores shot out unless you’re talking about the really high zoot magnums out there on the hairy edges of things. Then it’s often the throat that goes and the barrel can often be set back a few turns and re-chambered. Paper patched bullets will wear a bore faster than grease grooved bullets or patched ball.

But yes, you’re correct, polishing the muzzleloader bore will have negligible effect on its lifespan. I do this to every new gun that comes my way regardless of the condition of the bore. It doesn’t hurt and if northung else such barrels are easier to clean and less prone to leading.
I'm glad I use fabric patches instead of paper patches. My only muzzle loader is a Traditions Trapper, and it takes a short starter and some force to get a .015 patch and .049 ball started. A .010 patch is easier, but it still takes a short starter--it's just easier.

Rounding the muzzle as explained above might help with starting projectiles. If I polished the rest of the bore some, I could probably get more shots without punching the bore, too.

I'm glad I use fabric patches instead of paper patches. My only muzzle loader is a Traditions Trapper, and it takes a short starter and some force to get a .015 patch and .049 ball started. A .010 patch is easier, but it still takes a short starter--it's just easier.

Rounding the muzzle as explained above might help with starting projectiles. If I polished the rest of the bore some, I could probably get more shots without punching the bore, too.
I hope I live long enough or shoot enough paper patched bullets to wear out a barrel.

Oh, I don't anticipate ever wearing out the bore. I just think it would be cool to have the same accuracy from shot to shot without having to punch the bore.
Yeah, I’d be happy to shoot enough to wear one that far… I think the reason that freshening the bore was common in the day and not so much now is that metallurgy and the cleaning and preservatives we use today are so much better than the past.

Come to think of it I’ll bet the number one reason Bobby Hoyt stays so busy is neglectful owners, not avid shooters.

Latest posts

Back