Eastern Woodland Native Garb

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by Crewdawg445, Oct 6, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 20, 2019 #61

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Blowin' Smoke MLF Supporter

didn't mean to start a conflagration.........just meant that perhaps the outfit should have more of an outdoorsmans life appearance and less of a wax figurines

2. Apr 10, 2019 #62

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

This has been one of the best post I have ever read. Crewdawg reading your post and admiring your photographs was like taking a trip back in time and history. To say great work would be an understatement! Thank you for your post and will be looking forward to seeing any other post you do. Art

3. Apr 10, 2019 #63

Atticus69

Atticus69

Atticus69

32 Cal

Very late to this conversation, but reading accounts written contemporaneously would indicate that native american men in particular (with some tribal exceptions) were not only not slobs but were quite meticulous in their appearance.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  4. Apr 10, 2019 #64

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

I think context & situation will have some effect on the condition of clothing. Wearing items that fit well is important but when dressing down for deerskin camp interpretation...
    If my shirt or leggings have stains, that just reflects daily use. When dressing up I set aside a white ruffled shirt, beaded sash, silver, ect for that occasion, but that is not everyday wear
    David

5. Apr 11, 2019 #65

Atticus69

Atticus69

Atticus69

32 Cal

I also have enjoyed this thread and loved Crewdogs pics. Also enjoy reading his posts on other threads.

6. Apr 11, 2019 #66

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i find it very interesting as i know nothing about natives back east. i can look at something of natives out west here and tell you in detail if it is as should be. we live in a different world here, even the mountain me and fur trappers here were not like eastern folks either. if i can learn and enjoy what you know, it is both interesting and fun. thanks.that movie revalient or something like that was it ever bad. the pawnee didnt have the right hair cuts, the arikira never ever lived in the pines, he rode a circus horse that was never seen in this area. i live only 90 miles from where he crawled up and that river has no trees around it, just grass. i could go on and on. then they made the french as evil, the natives liked the french and didnt the others. as to the east, i know nothing about it. SHOW ME MORE.

7. Apr 12, 2019 at 12:05 AM #67

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

32 Cal

Would you say the Flathead on Jeremiah Johnson are even remotely correct, I know they are farther west than you, but you seem to know your western indigenous cultures well

8. Apr 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM #68

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i believe some of the guns were not correct. they were catholics and did speak french. as to the hair styles i cant say. a lot of natives copied the crow in that area. as to the flatheads many dont know this. on a one on one fighter they were the best of them all. they were fearless and tough. if a group of enemy natives saw one out of the trees, the flathead would get off his horse and put his blanket on the ground and stand on it. he would fight to the death and not run, many on the other side died before the flathead died. a lot of times the other side would just leave him alone as they knew what was going to happen. they were not a large tribe, in the 1700/s they fought a war with the blackfeet. the black feet were much greater in numbers. this reduced the flatheads greatly as many men were lost. how they got to the mountains and the plains is interesting. they were a north west coast ocean tribe. got pushed inland by a larger warring tribe. become catholics very early in their time. the nez pierce , (koppinish) were catholics also. lived close to them. the nez pierce are transplanted aztecs.

9. Apr 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM #69

nagantino

nagantino

nagantino

32 Cal

Great thread. Tomorrow I'm shooting Cowboy Action and the number of guys who make an effort is tiny. They seem self conscious about cowboy garb. I'm not in America. It's a pity because I do like to make an effort. On the subject of the authentic look, I think the new look often spoils the effect. If the guys were to wear their gear for a week then the authentic look of "then" would emerge. Anything that try's to reproduce the period, that you are interested in, by clothes and the correct weapons is to be applauded and encouraged.

10. Apr 13, 2019 at 12:59 PM #70

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

one time up in n.dak about 30 years ago their was a young man in a parade that was right out of the 1880/s. his horse was a flea bitten beautiful lean grey. its bridal was from the 1880/s his saddle was a texas centerfire. clothes, boots and hat was from that time. on his hip was a colt saa in a holster that looped over the belt and not hung low. every thing was 1880/s, he really caught my eye. what i like about western mountain men is they wore what they wanted, no school or style, thats the way i dress when i go to a shoot. i have a war shirt i worked hard on that is 100 percent me. add to it now and then. ermine skins are not cheap.

11. Apr 18, 2019 at 2:59 PM #71

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

what i like about the mountain men of the west is this. they dressed in what they liked for them.their was not schools or time period. many eastern native tribes trapped fur creatures in western minn. they were allowed to by the sioux and the chipps. IF THEY DIDNT KILL ANY BIG GAME. they were told they had to eat what they trapped. if they killed a moose, elk or deer they DIED along with it. most complied and ate fish and small fur game.

12. Apr 18, 2019 at 4:36 PM #72

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Which has what to do with "Eastern Woodland Native garb." ????

13. Apr 18, 2019 at 6:02 PM #73

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

14. Apr 18, 2019 at 6:21 PM #74

David_B

David_B

David_B

32 Cal

So from this I get that the "Eastern Native Tribes" who hunted in W.Minn. did NOT make their "Eastern Woodland Native garb" from moose, elk or deer hides. Makes sense to me. Sure wouldn't want to get caught wearing a buckskin outfit in an area where I'd get killed for killing a deer.

15. Apr 18, 2019 at 7:36 PM #75

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Bob,
    I am a bit perplexed by your mention of no schools, or time period??
    How you dress at a shoot is one thing.....but that can not be confused with correct historical clothing of the Rocky mountain fur trade trappers. I get the fact that many people come at this hobby from different angles....but to suggest that the Fur trappers of the western trade we're not bound by time nor available material culture seems to step into the fantasy realm