Eastern Woodland Native Garb

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by Crewdawg445, Oct 6, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 20, 2019 #61

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Blowin' Smoke MLF Supporter

didn't mean to start a conflagration.........just meant that perhaps the outfit should have more of an outdoorsmans life appearance and less of a wax figurines

2. Apr 10, 2019 #62

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

This has been one of the best post I have ever read. Crewdawg reading your post and admiring your photographs was like taking a trip back in time and history. To say great work would be an understatement! Thank you for your post and will be looking forward to seeing any other post you do. Art

3. Apr 10, 2019 #63

Atticus69

Atticus69

Atticus69

32 Cal

Very late to this conversation, but reading accounts written contemporaneously would indicate that native american men in particular (with some tribal exceptions) were not only not slobs but were quite meticulous in their appearance.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  4. Apr 10, 2019 #64

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

I think context & situation will have some effect on the condition of clothing. Wearing items that fit well is important but when dressing down for deerskin camp interpretation...
    If my shirt or leggings have stains, that just reflects daily use. When dressing up I set aside a white ruffled shirt, beaded sash, silver, ect for that occasion, but that is not everyday wear
    David

5. Apr 11, 2019 #65

Atticus69

Atticus69

Atticus69

32 Cal

I also have enjoyed this thread and loved Crewdogs pics. Also enjoy reading his posts on other threads.

6. Apr 11, 2019 #66

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i find it very interesting as i know nothing about natives back east. i can look at something of natives out west here and tell you in detail if it is as should be. we live in a different world here, even the mountain me and fur trappers here were not like eastern folks either. if i can learn and enjoy what you know, it is both interesting and fun. thanks.that movie revalient or something like that was it ever bad. the pawnee didnt have the right hair cuts, the arikira never ever lived in the pines, he rode a circus horse that was never seen in this area. i live only 90 miles from where he crawled up and that river has no trees around it, just grass. i could go on and on. then they made the french as evil, the natives liked the french and didnt the others. as to the east, i know nothing about it. SHOW ME MORE.

7. Apr 12, 2019 #67

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

36 Cl.

Would you say the Flathead on Jeremiah Johnson are even remotely correct, I know they are farther west than you, but you seem to know your western indigenous cultures well

8. Apr 12, 2019 #68

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i believe some of the guns were not correct. they were catholics and did speak french. as to the hair styles i cant say. a lot of natives copied the crow in that area. as to the flatheads many dont know this. on a one on one fighter they were the best of them all. they were fearless and tough. if a group of enemy natives saw one out of the trees, the flathead would get off his horse and put his blanket on the ground and stand on it. he would fight to the death and not run, many on the other side died before the flathead died. a lot of times the other side would just leave him alone as they knew what was going to happen. they were not a large tribe, in the 1700/s they fought a war with the blackfeet. the black feet were much greater in numbers. this reduced the flatheads greatly as many men were lost. how they got to the mountains and the plains is interesting. they were a north west coast ocean tribe. got pushed inland by a larger warring tribe. become catholics very early in their time. the nez pierce , (koppinish) were catholics also. lived close to them. the nez pierce are transplanted aztecs.

9. Apr 12, 2019 #69

nagantino

nagantino

nagantino

32 Cal

Great thread. Tomorrow I'm shooting Cowboy Action and the number of guys who make an effort is tiny. They seem self conscious about cowboy garb. I'm not in America. It's a pity because I do like to make an effort. On the subject of the authentic look, I think the new look often spoils the effect. If the guys were to wear their gear for a week then the authentic look of "then" would emerge. Anything that try's to reproduce the period, that you are interested in, by clothes and the correct weapons is to be applauded and encouraged.

10. Apr 13, 2019 #70

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

one time up in n.dak about 30 years ago their was a young man in a parade that was right out of the 1880/s. his horse was a flea bitten beautiful lean grey. its bridal was from the 1880/s his saddle was a texas centerfire. clothes, boots and hat was from that time. on his hip was a colt saa in a holster that looped over the belt and not hung low. every thing was 1880/s, he really caught my eye. what i like about western mountain men is they wore what they wanted, no school or style, thats the way i dress when i go to a shoot. i have a war shirt i worked hard on that is 100 percent me. add to it now and then. ermine skins are not cheap.

11. Apr 18, 2019 #71

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

what i like about the mountain men of the west is this. they dressed in what they liked for them.their was not schools or time period. many eastern native tribes trapped fur creatures in western minn. they were allowed to by the sioux and the chipps. IF THEY DIDNT KILL ANY BIG GAME. they were told they had to eat what they trapped. if they killed a moose, elk or deer they DIED along with it. most complied and ate fish and small fur game.

12. Apr 18, 2019 #72

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Which has what to do with "Eastern Woodland Native garb." ????

13. Apr 18, 2019 #73

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

14. Apr 18, 2019 #74

David_B

David_B

David_B

32 Cal MLF Supporter

So from this I get that the "Eastern Native Tribes" who hunted in W.Minn. did NOT make their "Eastern Woodland Native garb" from moose, elk or deer hides. Makes sense to me. Sure wouldn't want to get caught wearing a buckskin outfit in an area where I'd get killed for killing a deer.

15. Apr 18, 2019 #75

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Bob,
    I am a bit perplexed by your mention of no schools, or time period??
    How you dress at a shoot is one thing.....but that can not be confused with correct historical clothing of the Rocky mountain fur trade trappers. I get the fact that many people come at this hobby from different angles....but to suggest that the Fur trappers of the western trade we're not bound by time nor available material culture seems to step into the fantasy realm

16. Apr 18, 2019 #76

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

i did not say that they were not bound by time or material. that is really a very broad statement.they wore clothes that kept them alive but when they got together they liked to dress up. most borrowed from the natives. maybe native is a school. i have a pull over peroid linen shirt. ive made all the rest. if it isnt too hot out i prefer my personal made by me war shirt. it tells my story.its a thing that is never finished as i can add to it when ever i get a feeling for that. when a warrior went into battle his feathers told his story as his paint or what he wore.notice i didnt use the word when a brave went into battle. a brave was a warrior to be. willing but not yet proved him self. a warrior has proved him self. my second name is suda womblie (hard eagle) ive proved my self. my war shirt shows it. come to the summer pow wow here on pine ridge. you will see what i mean about self expression. never had a tribal member question me like you did. my great granddaughter is a direct decendent of the great war chief GAUL. she is already dancing at 2 years old. her out fit is very traditional. but not like anyone elses who she dances with.

17. Apr 19, 2019 #77

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Bob,
    We have never met and my post was not meant as an attack....I just wanted clarification of your statement. We are just having a conversation. We live in two different parts of the world..... your obviously out west & I live in Alabama! With the information you have posted I can tell you are very into plains NDN culture and like to share information as do I, still......being involved in the pow wow world doesn't always line up with historical clothing of the 1820s ect.
    I see this from different points of view because of my own personal experiences. For example....If you were to attend a stomp dance at a Creek Traditional grounds 2019.....the male members wear blue jeans, a vest, yarn belt and a cowboy hat with a feather attached. The way I'm dressed in the picture would be 18th century ceremonial clothing. When I am involved with historical education programs I am dressed 18th century mode but.....when I attended stomp dances it's blue jeans, ect.(except at the Southeastern Indian Festival....I am working it so I do dress "old school"!)
    Both could be considered "Traditional" but are separated by the gulf of time. At the grounds no one dresses old school (which is a shame) because traditional has morphed in the last 300 years. In your part of the world I would say there is a closer relationship between what is worn at a dance and historical clothing, however, much of the beadwork (which is beautiful) is latter than the 1830s time frame.
    In closing.....I perfer to make friends and have interesting conversations with good folks which why I joined this forum. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.
    Sincerely
    David

Attached Files:

18. Apr 19, 2019 #78

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 Cal MLF Supporter

again i know nothing of your native world. i know your name means the big bear that has good and bad in his personality but protects his family. that is good. my name is hard eagle, their is no name for strong in sioux. hard is the closest you can get. again you come to a western pow wow. it is beautiful and free spirited. the best for me is the northern tribes with the circular turkey feather head dress. once a native friend of mine were hunting deer on snowshoes next to canada in dec. we came to a bare spot of ground just out of the trees. their were about 50 or 60 grouse in a circle. they were dr\umming their chest and dancing. my friend said, now i know where we got our dances from. it was a beautiful moment i will never see again. my friend did three tours in vietnam. finally got wounded. he was born in a cabin next to canada in the deep woods. before he went to fight in viet nam he had hunted and killed deer, moose, elk and trapped every thing they could for fur sale for money. they got their water out of a frozen lake. he taught me how to hunt on snowshoes.

19. Apr 21, 2019 #79

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

So sad when great topics get killed.

20. Apr 22, 2019 #80

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim

Back to Crewdog/Anishanabe (Great Lakes AO)
    Thank you for your pix & info, Sir! :)

Have you read David Gidmark about bark canoes and learning the language of the builders he worked with?

Friend at www.barkcanoe.com has vid of canoe building class he took from Gidmark, & older DVD copies of early movies about building plus an old silent drama THE SILENT ENEMY, that seem pretty wonderful to me:)
    He has lots of books as well.

I love the canoe, even more now that I can't hossback & can barely walk.
    Learned about canoes in the past year than all my previous life;-)
    BAR CANOES & SKIN BOATS OF NORTH AMERCA, by Adney shows variations of the "two fathom"/"hunter's canoes" that are same avg. dimensions as Grumman's 129(12'9") Solo.
    I hope to work in John's shop, learn how to stitch bark canoes, fit ribs, etc.

Thanks for starting this thread....
    I've learned ALOT! :)

All the best,
    Dave

David_B likes this.