Eastern Woodland Native Garb

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by Crewdawg445, Oct 6, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2019 #41

just4fun63

just4fun63

just4fun63

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Guys, you look amazing! That’s all I can think to say, Amazing!

Einsiedler and satx78247 like this.
  2. Jan 25, 2019 #42

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Redstick Lee

Blowin' Smoke MLF Supporter

Crewdawg.......AWESOME fittings you've assembled yourself !!

edit.....you do need to dirty it all up a bit though.......<L>

3. Jan 26, 2019 #43

Renegade Dan

Renegade Dan

Renegade Dan

50 Cal.

Crewdawg I don't think those images are terrible at all. I think it looks AWESOME! :thumb:

Logcutter and satx78247 like this.
  4. Jan 27, 2019 #44

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Contrary to what people think, native people didn't walk around looking like slobs, they did take care of their clothing and accoutrements. I think many have the notion one needs to look dirty to have an accurate portrayal. While it also is a portrayal it's also living my ancestry so it's really not a bother. keeping things clean was vastly important as it prolonged the service life and longevity of articles.

On the other hand pleae don't mistake the images for not wanting to get down and dirty, when it comes to beating the brush many cant keep up!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. Jan 27, 2019 #45

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

crewdawg445,

In point of fact, as a group, the personal hygiene of our people was BETTER than the hygiene of the "white" majority at that era.
    (I remind everyone here that it was not uncommon for European-Americans to go about un-bathed for YEARS at a time in the 17th-19th Centuries.)

yours, satx

Ketchakah and Crewdawg445 like this.
  6. Jan 27, 2019 #46

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Your absolutely right, hygiene was important and understood by the indigenous culture.

satx78247 likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2019 #47

Straekat

Straekat

Straekat

40 Cal

Please.....

Once upon a time, people used outhouses, and when they got close to being full, the shed was moved, and the hole filled in. Amerindians didn't dig outhouses, and there are period complaints by Europeans and American "whites" about the stench surrounding those settlements, where refuse of all kinds littered the ground, the presence of animal skins being processed etc. Add to that, during the summer, huge clouds of swarming flies filled the air.

Personal hygiene? Like the smell of animal fats and fish oil smeared on the body to keep it soft? That's what Amerindians did, and that's not going to smell like roses even during the colder months of the year in wintertime enclosures, let alone the height of summer.

There are period accounts of people being able to smell Amerindian settlements on the plains, before they could see them.

One of the first things people notice going into someone elses' house is the odor of the people living there. If you aren't used to it, it can be bothersome. When we walk into our own house, we may notice it , but it quickly passes as "normal."

One man's rose may be another man's stench.

nagantino likes this.
  8. Jan 27, 2019 #48

LANEY REECE

LANEY REECE

LANEY REECE

32 Cal

BUD,YOU DID A GOOD JOB ON YOUR OUTFIT, BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU DONE AND WHO YOU ARE.WISH I HAD THE SKILLS YOU HAVE. NICE PHOTOS.

satx78247 likes this.
  9. Jan 27, 2019 #49

Straekat

Straekat

Straekat

40 Cal

Crewdawg, I agree with what Laney and others have said. You've done a super job on your presentation and it's something to be proud of doing.

My comments above were not aimed at you personally.

I do take exception to people who make statements about -their- people being better than someone else's, particularly when it's another ethnic group. There's a saying if you go back far enough in time, we're all related and comments about other people from different cultures or backgrounds should have no place here.

10. Jan 27, 2019 #50

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Straekat,

The FACTS are that until the late 19th Century are that many "white"people never bathed.
    That's how so many women managed to pass themselves off as "teenage boys" during TWBTS, as the soldiers often never bathed or changed underclothes during the War.
    (To quote the curator of the Civil War Medical Museum, "Many soldiers believed that bathing was unhealthy & washing hands & face was considered to be clean enough & fully acceptable, even for attending church.")

SORRY, if my comments offended you but I'm stating documented FACT.

yours, satx

11. Jan 28, 2019 #51

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

No worries indeed!

satx78247 likes this.
  12. Jan 29, 2019 #52

Travler

Travler

Travler

Pilgrim MLF Supporter

I can see I have a lot to learn....Thanks for sharing!

13. Jan 29, 2019 #53

Logcutter

Logcutter

Logcutter

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I find this hard to believe. Day after day in the field with their units, did these women never find themselves needing to answer natures call when they could not have the required privacy to keep their secret.
    And also, I was a soldier for quite some time. Occasionally I would find myself in the field with female soldiers. We found that female soldiers in the field unable to shower or really even wash for more than 8 days began reporting to sick call with yeast infections and other problems that males don't have to deal with. I find it hard to believe that a woman could wear the same under cloths through her mounthlys and all and never bath or need to do laundry.
    Lastly, I'm no romeo by any ones standards but If I spent any length of time around a women pretending to be a teenage boy I would know it. Women respond to things differently, they move differently, they respond to pain or discomfort differently. Ever have your wife stub her toe or something and just burst into tears? Mostly because she was upset over something else and that just set her off. No, I can't believe a women could pull that off.
    I hope this post does not offend anyone, especially the ladies, as I do not mean it to.

14. Jan 29, 2019 #54

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Logcutter,

I hear you but nonetheless what I stated is documented fact. - You should get & read the book, THEY FOUGHT LIKE DEMONS: WOMEN SOLDIERS IN THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR by DeAnne Blanton & Lauren M. Cook for more information.

Fyi, a G-G- G-Aunt of mine "rode with "Bloody Bill" Anderson in MO/KS, after her husband was hanged by Jayhawkers in October.1858.
    (It is not known whether she was ever an actual member of the unit but she was known, by other Border Ruffians & CS guerrillas, to be "- - - - a dead shot with her 1851 Navy Colt's revolvers, vengeful & 'without fear' in a fight."
    (After the war, she returned to Jay in Indian Territory, met & married a young doctor from AL, had 3 children & after her husband & 2 of the 3 children died of cholera, she spent most of the remainder of her life as a breeder/trainer of race horses. She died during the Spanish Flu Pandemic in 1918 & is buried in the Old Masonic Cemetery at Muskogee, OK near her husband & children.)

yours, satx

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  15. Jan 29, 2019 #55

Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Rare as hen's teeth, to be sure, but undeniably happened. Deborah Sampson is perhaps the most prominent documented example. I don't believe that example should be generalized, however.

16. Jan 29, 2019 #56

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Logcutter; Ranger Boyd,

Fwiw, our "notorious ancestor" is listed in Page 88ff of the book, RENEGADES, SHOOTISTS, ROBBERS & OUTLAWS OF OLD OKLAHOMA, published at Enid, OK 1951 & republished in 2007 by the OK Statehood Commission.
    (Interestingly, she is listed under one of her several aliases, Mary Elizabeth Walls, rather than her real name. - The book got most of the rest of the information correct, including her grave-site number.)

Note: My grandmother, who was born in 1872 said of her, "I think of Aunt Lettie as a dashing, romantic & brave woman in a hard time & place in Indian Territory, rather than the vicious killer that her enemies believed her to be. In my girlhood, I wanted, desperately, to BE her."

17. Jan 29, 2019 #57

Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Pretty cool ancestor....

satx78247 likes this.
  18. Jan 30, 2019 #58

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Ranger Boyd,

IF you believe THE OLATHE LOYAL EAGLE. our ancestor was "a notorious red savage, remorseless murderess of loyal Union men, arsonist, train-wrecker & cut-throat". Another mention of her said that she was, "The She-Devil Mary Walker" (another alias) & later in the article that she was, "- - - - a familiar of Lucifer himself." and offered a hundred dollars in gold coins for her head, delivered to Olathe, KS.
    (Olathe was the headquarters of the 1st Kansas Volunteer Cavalry during much of the WBTS.)

Did someone forget to tell,the KS Unionists that there was a war going on in 1863?
    (One side of a war's "She-Devil" is often the other side's "heroine".)

yours, satx

19. Jan 30, 2019 #59

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Ranger Boyd,

Another "locally famous" Southern guerrilla fighter was Teresa Marie Manton of (what is now) Jefferson Parish, LA & perhaps one of the most unlikely of unconventional fighters for the CSA's cause. = She was the eldest daughter of a LA Infantry officer, a former debutante, heiress to a rice plantation & "leader of a group of south Louisiana socialites", who went from being, "Teenage girls playing at being partisan fighters" & morphing into, over several months, "arson & sabotage as fine art". = Setting Union Army supplies/facilities afire & sabotage of/burning of railroad rolling stock was a constant headache to the occupying force & VERY COSTLY to the Union Army in south LA from 1863 to the war's end.
    (According to her wartime journal, Miss Manton & her co-conspirators never "came close to being caught". - Her journal is in the collection of The Confederate Museum in New Orleans.)

yours, satx

20. Feb 7, 2019 #60

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

hey Crewdog, love the photos! The one with the large trees is my favorite, may I ask where it was taken? Thanks for sharing.

satx78247 likes this.