Eastern Woodland Native Garb

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by Crewdawg445, Oct 6, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 16, 2019 #21

Straekat

Straekat

Straekat

40 cal - b

The Texas creation myth about "Liberty" may be enshrined in the hearts and minds of those who are -white- Texans or those who can pass for such, but the reality of the revolution is that "liberty" was meant for white Anglos, and not so much for everyone else.

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/146405

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/remembering-the-alamo-101880149/

Now, let's stop talking about Texas in this thread and return to the OP's original intent which had nothing to do with Texas.

2. Jan 16, 2019 #22

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Straekat,

Inasmuch as I'm NOT "white" (whatever that means??), I dismiss your opinion as UNKNOWING, wrong & pointless.

IF you actually believe what you posted, you need to do some deep research from existing documents of the period, especially reading the memoirs of the Mexican officers of the Texas Coahuila campaign..
    (Texas LIBERTY from the hateful dictator, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. was possibly MORE popular with Tejanos & the Native tribes than it was with "Anglos", especially after Santa Anna "closed his eyes to" his troops looting Catholic churches & abusing/assaulting priests & nuns & the cold-blooded murders of loyal Mexicans between the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo & the Neches rivers. - I believe that the outrages committed against loyal Mexican citizens & the RC Church was "the blow that killed father" & assured the defeat of the Mexican Army.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Woodnbow likes this.
  3. Jan 16, 2019 #23

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

It happened. Get over it....
    The rest of us already have or just don't care.

Shot deer and Brokennock like this.
  4. Jan 16, 2019 #24

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

I agree! This topic has nothing to do with texas.
    It's about one man's journey, to perfect his wearing of Anishinaabe attire for his persona.
    Something I was interested in.

5. Jan 16, 2019 #25

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

I'm OK with not having to hear about Texas. Far more interested in what Crewdawg was posting...

6. Jan 17, 2019 #26

dave61965

dave61965

dave61965

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

But yet you circled this thread like a vulture and couldn’t stand that anyone hadn’t replied to your distasteful post or taken the bait for just another one of your arguing matches that seem to pollute quite a few otherwise enjoyable threads, I’ll leave it at that, have a hissy, get your knickers in a bunch, go on a long winded tirade, who cares, from here on out you can muddy up crewdawgs thread all you want.

satx78247 and Juice Jaws like this.
  7. Jan 17, 2019 #27

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

A fine example of irony...
    If you will notice, my question was deflected (Do you have any documentation from the period to back up you assertions?) and answered with a "hissy, get your knickers in a bunch, go on a long winded tirade" instead. I asked a simple question and was told to essentially stick it in my ear (or elsewhere). Rather rude...and after many years of the same (from the same poster), tiresome. I am far more interested in learning from others...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. Jan 17, 2019 #28

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

For anyone who cares... Some updated images.

Not trying to blow my own horn by anymeans... I consider myself a humble person and NEVER flont my attire or ancestral background, I stay close to my brothers and heritage. I've been told countless times by many my attention to detail and persona are exceptional, and can say it does supplement income with drumming and dancing at various powwows and educational events. Sad to say though it has deiven off a few people I called friends due to jealousy issues on their part. Personally have been photographed by many photographers and have also received the privilege of being painted in a handful of paintings and involved in a few historical documentaries.

Also had a photographer win a award for a photograph she took at a event this past year.

Perfecting garb is always ongoing, diligent research has and continues to pay off. My style is representative of what would have been worn within the later part of the 18th century in my area. Textiles and prints were extremely common, forget Hollywood buckskin shirts and the like... Feathers were worn within turban wraps and also adorned hackles and roaches along with hats, yes hats were worn. Turkey feathers were very common just as bird of prey feathers were. Jewelry consists widely of silver, real silver and my collection houses more bling than the wifes! First nations individuals new the difference between cheap german silver and the real deal, just as important as it is today there is only one silver! Ear bobs were extremely popular, or more known as ball and cone earings along with various earwheels and such. During normal day to day activities people were indeed not all dressed fancy as many think. Common attire of a breechclout, leggings, simple shirt cut down the front and mocs were the norm. Fancy dress was reserved for special occasions just as it is today in our normal lives. During battle many would wear as little as possible, no jewelry or things to get in the way. Weapons and warpaint to spark fear! Valuables were stashed or left with family incase a warrior fell.

Big hats off to my brother who is a member of the Lumbe tribe and also a professor of aboriginal culture and first nations expert for years of family searching and a vast amount of shaping and knowledge sharing, love ya bro!

Now my highly decorated and beaded attire along with feathers are reserved for powwows/ drumming which I'm apart of two Native drum groups. Even my highly decorated attire is vastly reminiscent of traditional period attire, or Anishinaabe beadwork, me personally I don't like fancy modern powwow regalia. I do dance with a smaller traditional style bustle from time to time.

Somewhat all over the place here... However to much to type!

Attached Files:

9. Jan 17, 2019 #29

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

One can see the evolution between the previous and these pictures. Attention to detail is essential, as the small details make the greatest impact. I like the pictures!

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  10. Jan 17, 2019 #30

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

Thank you, and I do care.
    Your posts are an excellent example of how one does not start off at the top of the mountain, but rather climbs that mountain slowly over time. getting "higher" or better with each change or incarnation of their persona and attire. You have progressed nicely, and embraced your journey well. :thumb:

satx78247 and Logcutter like this.
  11. Jan 17, 2019 #31

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Very nice, my hat is off to you, you are one of very few who talk the talk and walk the walk.

satx78247 likes this.
  12. Jan 17, 2019 #32

Logcutter

Logcutter

Logcutter

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I would be very interested to see recent pics of both of you Toklo Etee and Crewdawg.

Edited to ad that I just got to the end of the thread and found Crewdawgs pics. Thanks for posting them Crewdawg.

satx78247 likes this.
  13. Jan 17, 2019 #33

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Crewdawg445,

VERY NICE. - I like.

yours, satx

14. Jan 17, 2019 #34

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Guys,
    This is a shot taken for the Alabama board of tourism. My bro Jim & I are using my deer hunting decoy as described by Boussu (circa 1750)and many other Southern travelers. Fort Toulouse was heavily involved in the Creek Deerskin trade
    David

Attached Files:

15. Jan 17, 2019 #35

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Toklo Etee,

NICE image.

yours, satx

16. Jan 19, 2019 #36

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Certainly one of the more interesting threads cooking here. Thanks for sharing.

satx78247 likes this.
  17. Jan 22, 2019 #37

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

Toklo Etee,

While on the subject,,,,,
    Wanted to share this with you. Going thru my archives and found this blast from the past! Mebbe 2003? O4? I can’t remember. But one of my favorites I captured of you and son at Toulouse. I think it was the year we had a deer hanging in camp!

[​IMG]

18. Jan 23, 2019 #38

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Bob,
    Thank you for that picture. Drake is 23 now but.....just this last year he decided that reenacting is cool after all! Thanks so much brother....I appreciate that
    David

Woodnbow and Einsiedler like this.
  19. Jan 23, 2019 #39

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

:) My pleasure!

23!!!!!! :eek: I am old.

Crewdawg,
    Please forgive minor hijack! Btw, you lookin’ good!!!!

20. Jan 23, 2019 #40

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'll let it slide this once... :p

Thank you sir for the kind remarks.

Einsiedler likes this.