Eastern Woodland Native Garb

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by Crewdawg445, Oct 6, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Afternoon all, I wanted to share a few images of myself kitted up in my Eastern Native attire. The majority of everything I'm wearing has been handcrafted by me. Allot of time and work has gone into this impersonation, along with allot of pride! This is just one set outfit, I've constructed numerous bags, necklaces, shirts, mocs and leggings. I actually had a photo shoot yesterday once my wife's uncle caught wind of my garb... It was actually very nice being able to have some professional pictures taken (to come). Anyways, hope these images prove to be helpful for anyone interested in kitting up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Nothing loading on my end.....

LD

3. Oct 6, 2015 #3

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

That's not good... anyone else experiencing issues? :hmm:

4. Oct 6, 2015 #4

walks with gun

walks with gun

walks with gun

40 Cal.

Looks very good, I think I'd get paint all over everything, shirt, house, car, ol' lady.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #5

Silky921

Silky921

Silky921

45 Cal.

Looks good. Time to get em smelling like smoke.

6. Nov 14, 2018 #6

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

If you dont mind me asking, what rifle are you carrying in these photos?

satx78247 likes this.
  7. Nov 16, 2018 #7

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Loads now....WOW
    LD

8. Jan 10, 2019 #8

Logcutter

Logcutter

Logcutter

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Awesome pics Crewdawg. I see you posted that in 2015. Is that still your persona?

satx78247 likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2019 #9

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Very nice and I can see a lot of work and time and pride has gone into your work. What tribe is your persona?

satx78247 likes this.
  10. Jan 10, 2019 #10

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.

Dawg,
    EXCELLENT WORK!!
    A few close ups would help us new guys with ideas on gear and clothes.
    Thanks for the pics!

The Sicilian

satx78247 likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2019 #11

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Crewdawg445 & All,

What PERIOD are you portraying?
    (The reason that I asked is that about 25 years ago I was asked, while I was an Associate Lodge Advisor for the BSA's Order of the Arrow, to appear in our Native Nation's dress & to teach our younger members about the dress of Woodland folk.)

NOT wishing to "upset" & ANGER our "more traditional" Elders, I went to our Associate Chief & to our Clan Mother to ask their "input" on "the project for OA". - Both said: IF you are going to try to do this thing, make SURE that you are CORRECT in your portrayal, as any number of our members will NOT like "a part-blood" acting "like a 'drugstore Indian'.

I thereupon started researching Woodland & Southern Native dress & found that by the middle of the 18th Century that the vast majority of our men/boys & virtually all of our women/girls of "our Nation's people" were wearing MORAVIAN dress, which our ancestors had copied from the missionaries to "look like GOOD Christians".
    (At least in the vast area from the Virginia/Atlantic coast & west to French Louisiana, what we "moderns" think of as "Amer-Indian dress" was OBSOLETE by 1740-50, except for "ceremonial occasions" & such "outfits" fairly could be described as "costumes" or even "playing dress-up".)

When I went back to our Clan Mother, the Chief's group, to the OA Lodge Advisor & the BSA Council Executive with my "findings", NONE of them were "pleased".= END of "Project".

One thing that I did find "interesting": Our Nation's people evidently NEVER wore eagle feathers; instead our people used EGRET & WILD TURKEY feathers.

Note: After "consultations with" the Curators of The WITTE MUSEUM, The INSTITUTE of TEXAS CULTURES & our ALAMO SHRINE, I've come to the conclusion that men/women who want to accurately portray members of WOODLAND NATIONS (as well as our Clan/tribe), who emigrated to early Texas after 1820, have THREE choices in authentic daily dress:
    1. Men, who had become Christians, should wear a felt/flat-brimmed black hat, a plain black frock coat over a vest & shirt, with "European-style" trousers & boots. Women would be "most authentic" in their attire if they wear a white lace "mob cap", plain black ankle-length dress & a white "near knee length" apron & black "sensible shores"
    2. As the vast majority of Native & "white" emigrants to Texas-Coahuila were "dirt poor", a reenactor would likely be historically correct, if they wear the typical attire that a VERY poor/"working class" Southerner could acquire by purchase, barter or clothing of the sort that that was then commonly homemade
    OR
    3. As many early Texas male emigrants almost immediately married a local Latina (to get a "married man's league & a levy", about 820 acres of FREE LAND), such a male emigrant would likely have dress like a local "TEJANO" man, as that was the sort of daily dress that his new bride knew best.

yours, satx

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Artificer likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2019 #12

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Firstly - Do you have any documentation from the period to back up you assertions?
    Secondly - Crewdawg isn't in Texas.
    Thirdly - He is not portraying a woodland native that has emigrated to Texas after 1820.
    Fourthly - Please stop calling the Alamo a shrine. It sounds silly...

Ranger Boyd likes this.
  13. Jan 14, 2019 #13

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Black Hand,

I get really tired of what I would call NONSENSE that you ask me for & for your (imo) SILLY & generally WORTHLESS opinions. - IF you are that interested, go do your own research.

yours, satx

14. Jan 14, 2019 #14

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Now I remember - you are the self-proclaimed "EXPERT" that refuses to provide any documentation to back up what they proclaim. As such, we can dismiss anything you have to say since you refuse to back up your assertions with evidence of any sort (besides verbosity and bluster). I guess I won't waste any more time on your posts....

If I remember correctly - you said that you charged $70 per hour for your time and why should you give anything away for free (or something very near to that effect).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. Jan 16, 2019 #15

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Crewdawg,

Fwiw, I LIKE your impression. - Are you perchance, Native??

Btw, I'm a "part-blood" being of mixed Chickahominy & English/Scots heritage.
    The NA part of our extended family "got sick of being persecuted" in coastal VA & NC & moved to (what now is Marshall County,) Mississippi, married into my mother's side of the family & after TWBTS fled again to Northeast Texas, seeking peace & a good place to tend our flocks & herds.

yours, satx

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2019 #16

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hello sir, yes I am. Mixed Scottish Welsh and Anishinaabe from the U.P. of Michigan.
    IMHO the impression you see is absolutely terrible... These images were a rather quick rendition of were I was many years ago. As of today my persona is MUCH better and leaps above these outdated images. I will say, they are rather embarrassing images!

Feel free to PM me for further conversation if you do desire.

17. Jan 16, 2019 #17

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Crewdawg445,

ALL of us (unless we qualify as "brain-dead" and/or believe, wrongly, that "we know it all",) are constantly learning more & trying to improve ourselves & do better in our various "living history personas". - Thus you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about, imVho.
    (Fwiw, both my Darla & I are constantly doing more research to try to improve our knowledge of portraying my family's early TX ancestors, who emigrated to TX in the 1821-1866 era, at the Alamo Shrine, the Witte Museum, the Institute of Texas Cultures, La Bahia & elsewhere.)

Note: Should you be able to do so, we would welcome you to attend & participate in the annual memorial activities at the Alamo each 6th of March. = We start "gathering at the cenotaph" about 0430, to "get organized" for the Dawn Ceremony & for the other day-long activities.

What sort of firearm are you holding in the photos??

I'll PM you later, too.

ADDENDA: Your "tagline" reminds me of one of my beloved grandfather's sayings: It is through the mouth that a fish gets caught.

just my OPINIONS, satx

dave61965 likes this.
  18. Jan 16, 2019 #18

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Pilgrim

BTW we here in Texas do consider the Alamo a shrine. It is a hallowed place' you are not allowed to take photos inside. We consider it to be a shrine to Texas liberty.

dave61965 and satx78247 like this.
  19. Jan 16, 2019 #19

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon MLF Supporter

Killed Cowboy,

Fyi, what really "hacks me off" is that MEN are now allowed to wear caps/hats inside The Chapel.
    ("The powers that be" at The Shrine to Texas LIBERTY didn't want to keep asking men to "uncover", after a VERY FEW tourists complained that, "Women don't have to take theirs off." = GUTLESS bureaucrats, imo.)

yours, satx

dave61965 likes this.
  20. Jan 16, 2019 #20

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Crewdawg,
    We ALL have pictures that if we had a time machine would not exist! Most everyone evolves their look based on new research. I started this journey back in the 1980s and yeah......I look different now then I did then. My primary interest is in Southeastern Native material culture of the mid 18th Century.(Creek & Chickasaw) I am always interested in seeing what other people are doing......do you have any photos that are more recent? I used to go to a fair share of northern events but mainly do living history events in Alabama.....primarily Fort Toulouse/Jackson park

Have a good day
    David