• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Eastern Kansas Western Missouri Black Powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just moved to Manhattan Kansas and am looking for a place to purchase real Black Powder, Kansas City area is my guess but I'm having a hard time finding it

Before their merger with Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops told me that most of their stores stocked black powder but that a customer needs to ask the dept, manager or supervisor to access it because it's locked up in a back room. Bass Pro has stores in Olath and Kansas City that can be inquired about their stock. Be sure to speak with the right people (although BP at Bass Pro used to be rather expensive).
Or else that's why it's available through mail order from places like Graf & Sons in Mexico, MO or Powder Valley, in Winfield, Kansas.
Perhaps you can speak with a fellow BP shooter at a local gun club to see if they know of any local suppliers.
You can also combine a mail order and split the shipping costs with other shooters.
Otherwise it may cost as much or more to drive as it would cost to ship.
And Powder Valley will also combine percussion caps in the same box with a powder order up to a total of about 50 lbs.

Last edited:
You might inquire of Kansas Jake a Forum member who also dwells in Manhattan . KS.
He is setting out to fine tune his rifles and must know of powder sources,

Dutch Schoultz

I just moved to Manhattan Kansas and am looking for a place to purchase real Black Powder, Kansas City area is my guess but I'm having a hard time finding it

Why not send Goex an e-mail and ask them? Always ask a manufacturer where there products can be had, seems simple to me.

Remember, the stores selling real black powder have to keep it locked in a Federally approved chest. They cannot sit it out on the counter like they can with smokeless and black substitute powders.
Because of this, often the people working in the store don't even know the store sells real black powder so, be sure to talk to the owner or manager when you ask about its availability.

Aint that stupid if true
Powder Valley packages powder and caps in the same box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aint that stupid if true
Powder Valley packages powder and caps in the same box.

Oh it's true and completely legal.
I read their shipping policy.
Any powder, caps, [primers or other Hazmat items] can be ordered and shipped together up to 48 lbs.
That's why the items are shipped by ground transportation inside of a truck, and not on an airplane.
There could be more hazardous items on the same truck than caps and powder.
Caps are pretty hard to set off, requiring a certain amount of force, and they're packed in protective metal containers.
Not to mention the protection offered by the strong cardboard shipping boxes.
Even if some caps were able to be set off, since they're shipped inside of a metal tin containing only 100 caps, where's the flame going to spread to?
Should travelers on the highway be concerned, or should the truck drivers & other workers who transport and handle the items worry?
I'm not and I doubt that they are.
The USA is the land of the free and home of the brave.
Let the Hazmat experts handle it and JustForgetAboutIt! o_O

Last edited:
Back