• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Easiest, effective way to clean revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Juice Jaws: You and I use the same method for cleaning cap & ball revolvers.

During those times I do take the revolvers apart to clean up the inner workings, I've noticed there is very little evidence of powder, fouling or smoke on any of the parts. The small amount that is there wipes off easily so I will say, there is no reason to totally dunk a C&B revolver in a bucket of water or in a dish washer. There is also no reason to totally take one of these guns entirely apart to clean them.

I purchase a ROA that had rust pits on the lower hammer and some of the other interior parts from never having been thoroughly cleaned internally. I always find some interior powder fouling every time on all of my revolvers after a match or day at the range. Not a great deal but it is always there in some amount and it doesn't have to be crusted on thick to cause corrosion. My feeling is that the humidity percentage in the climate where one shoots is the biggest factor on wither or not a revolver will corrode if not internally cleaned regularly. In a dry climate probably one could get away nicely with break down cleaning annually but I wouldn't try it in a high humidity environment.
Also some interior parts need grease and not just oil if you want maximum life from them. The bolt finger over the hammer cam, ratchet star and arbor on open frame guns are examples.

Pull the barrel and cylinder, clean everything with whatever is handy. Yesterday I cleaned with hot soapy water, wiped the frame down oiled everything and put it back together. I will detail strip them all later, like once a year or so.

i use soap and water on the cylinder ,balistol and water on the rest. i used to disassemble every time but started to only once a year or so . i find i am shooting alot more with less time cleaning. so far with no ill effects.

I found that using Crisco (for lubrication more than chain fires) to cover the cylinder keeps everything much cleaner and running trouble free (as free as BP pistols can be):). I like everything stored pristine so I disassemble and drop everything in an ultrasonic cleaner for around 16 minutes, blow off the water with compressed air, brush, swab and wipe etc., then drop in a tray of WD-40. Then blow off the WD-40 and reassemble. I put grease on the nipple threads and cylinder pin. There is no reason not to own an ultrasonic nowadays. They cost $64.00 at Harbor Freight with the 20% coupon that's always available online.
63256_zzz_500_1.jpg

Like others I submerged in soapy water. Did a partial disassemble, rinsed under the faucet and dried (some will cringe at this :ghostly:) with low heat in the oven. Later lubed lightly and put away. Nebber a rust problem.

They cost $64.00 at Harbor Freight with the 20% coupon that's always available online.
got the harbor freight flyer today and shot down to fetch one of those central machinery sonic cleaners. got to the register with my 20% coupon and found it was now honored using the coupon. it cost me $79 +tax. got to use the cupon on the rubber gloves.

I use warm water w/dish soap, drop in the barrel, and cylinder in for a soaking.
While that's soaking I use balistol to wipe down the arbor and recoil shield.
Run a patch through the barrel, wipe it down and air dry, I've always removed my nipples but I might try not pulling them and clean them in the cylinder. There stainless steel and lubed with antisiez.
After drying, wipe everything down with balistol and done.

Back