• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Easier Ball Starting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My .54 Lyman GPR has always been tough to start a patched ball at the muzzle and I think it cuts patches a bit. I dont mind using a short starter and really want to do a full coning job on it. Is there a good way to round the muzzle just a bit to make it a tad easier to start a ball? Im pretty happy with the patch and ball combo I shoot now.

Use sandpaper or emery cloth and your thumb to round over the crown and smooth it up. Constantly turn the barrel and your thumb to keep it even. Continue with finer grits to get a very smooth radius. You will this load very easy.

Coning, all else being equal, when compared to regular crown will give worse accuracy. Opinions vary on this. IF you are a trail walker it probably does not matter. IF you are on the line at Friendship, you do not want a coned muzzle.

I use a sanding stick from the plastic model dept. Hobby Lobby to just break the sharp edges of the lands and grooves Sometimes I find a tapered screwdriver handle that will just fit the muzzle and use wet-or-dry sandpaper to polish the edges. I don't remove enough to hurt. Just a slight rounding is all it takes. For a larger caliber the thumb and sandpaper method will work.

My .54 Lyman GPR has always been tough to start a patched ball at the muzzle and I think it cuts patches a bit. I dont mind using a short starter and really want to do a full coning job on it. Is there a good way to round the muzzle just a bit to make it a tad easier to start a ball? Im pretty happy with the patch and ball combo I shoot now.
When I make my guns, this is what I use to cut the sharp edge of bore at the muzzle. Any hardware has them. I just use a cordless drill and go easy.
Polish it up a little with some metal cutting sand paper.
Larry

HS-066558-image.jpg

enough patch lube? Also, I like a nice big fat "ball" or whacking area on the top of my short starter. Makes it much more easier and comfortable for that first whack to get the ball in and sliding. Usually piece of cake after that.

When I make my guns, this is what I use to cut the sharp edge of bore at the muzzle. Any hardware has them. I just use a cordless drill and go easy.
Polish it up a little with some metal cutting sand paper.
Larry

View attachment 124293
I use a ball file it will do the job quick and easy and comes in mutiple sizes. I have used a chamfering bit as well. I do prefer the ball file although I have had no problems with a chamfering bit. The good thing about using a tool that is round is you need not worry to much to keep the angle even.

Don't touch the crown until you look at it closely. Unless it is sharp ( not beveled slightly) you need a .005" smaller ball as the next step. Patching could also be your issue....mic your patches and see what you are working with.

Well, having quite a bit of experience with GPRs, I'm confident in saying without seeing it that you have sharp muzzle edges.

The advice above to use your thumb will fix it. Thereafter you will be able to load easier and will probably be able to go with a slightly thicker patch for better accuracy.

Back