• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early T/C Hawken Breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I started with, I bought the stock from a friend, someone had actually hacked on it with what looked like a hatchet in the butt end. I steamed out most of the dents and filed the cut marks out of the buttplate.
Renegade parts 001.JPG

The L&R replacement lock for a T/C is not a drop in conversion. You will have to hog out some of the lock mortise to allow for the leaf spring and tumbler. If you can find a T/C lock (ebay), try to get one with the new style cock as they are better for sparking.
You can order a new style cock from - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium - I got one there lock works with the best of them I shoot with

After test fitting the L&R and rereading all the comments, especially Eric Krewson's about the addressing the problems with the mounting screw. It looked like I was going to have to go down that path. Plus the flash pan had a serious casting lip to it that would have to be filed down.

Than MC One Shot's post really made sense. I plan on never selling the rifle but to preserve it's intended purposes, i picked up a TC lock of ebay to be able to swap back and fourth and keep it as complete as I can.

Thank you all again for knowledge and willingness to share. I was listening.

Chris

I too have a few guns that i can switch the locks on and mine seem to be in flint lock mode most of the time. I bought the percussion locks when it seemed like real black powder was getting hard to find and there were rumors of banning the sale of real black powder because it could be used by terrorists.. I figured, at least with a percussion lock I could still get a BP substitute so I could keep shooting. I'm glad the BP scare was just a rumor and has not come to be.

You made the right choice, no point in adding an almost $200 lock to a gun that is worth about $300 at best. I sold mine for $400 but it had a brand new barrel and an upgraded lock that I had $220 in after paying a lot of shipping costs back to L&R.

You made the right choice, no point in adding an almost $200 lock to a gun that is worth about $300 at best. I sold mine for $400 but it had a brand new barrel and an upgraded lock that I had $220 in after paying a lot of shipping costs back to L&R.
Well he may not have spent $200 for a lock,but it will end up real close.TC flintlocks are gold on Ebay and his lock has the old style hammer.If he upgrades the TC hammer he will be close to $200 for a lock. But he still made the right choice!

Back