• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

early stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshurst

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all. Does anyone know of a company selling pre-carved early Moravian/Christian's Spring stocks, either insetted for Colerain's .62 Edward Marshall length barrel, or not insetted for barrel at all? Or even (maybe) an early colonial/early vigina stock for 37x.62 swamped barrel? I am not HC/PC, but I definitely want an early (1750 - 1760) type/look of rifle. I feel reasonably confident in being able to inlet a barrel, or a lock, or make some minor changes in design or proportions, stepping a wrist or whatever, but I am really not ready to try carving a stock from a stick. Or... is an early stock, inlet for a smaller barrel, a .54 or .58, able to be opened up for the larger barrel? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi all. Does anyone know of a company selling pre-carved early Moravian/Christian's Spring stocks, either insetted for Colerain's .62 Edward Marshall length barrel, or not insetted for barrel at all? Or even (maybe) an early colonial/early vigina stock for 37x.62 swamped barrel? I am not HC/PC, but I definitely want an early (1750 - 1760) type/look of rifle. I feel reasonably confident in being able to inlet a barrel, or a lock, or make some minor changes in design or proportions, stepping a wrist or whatever, but I am really not ready to try carving a stock from a stick. Or... is an early stock, inlet for a smaller barrel, a .54 or .58, able to be opened up for the larger barrel? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Pecatonica has what you need.

If you needs pre-carved stock, try the Chambers Edward Marshall kit.

I’d stay away from the Pecatonica “jaeger” precarve. It looks odd to me.

Just watched this on YouTube
I had never heard of this gun
37308524-66C8-432C-80A8-47CDDC77D62B.png

billraby; I was very much afraid the answer would be something like that.

Pete G; I don't know, the Pecatonica stock doesn't look like what I see in my minds eye.

rich pierce; I have read MANY of your posts. I haven't emailed Jim Chambers, for some reason I had just assumed he only sold kits....
I have never wanted to build a copy of the Edward Marshall, I am not concerned with HC/PH, I have just known I wanted an 'early' gun. Now with all my research, I might be wondering....Chistiansbrunn or 'early Virginia'? ARRRGGGH! lol

They have some really pretty wood, nchawkeye, but everything I saw is a little later than I am interested in. I just had a thought...I have an early Lancaster inlet for 7/8 barrel......I wonder if I can.....hmmm....

Last edited:
I'm with Bill Raby, if you can do the other work you can shape the blank. That being said you should browse Knob Mountains site. They have the largest selection of correctly shaped stock blanks I know of.

Sean, I had just discovered that sight before logging on here. Thanks.
martin9, I am just not that comfortable with wood yet. Soon, I hope, in the meantime, I will check out knob Mountain. Thanks.

Hi all.
I just got off the phone, talking to Alex Simpson @ River Valley Gunstocks,
[email protected]
1-859-512-6307

Very nice guy. He put the phone down and ran into the shop to answer a few questions for me....He said that he thinks I can carve one of his stocks to what I want, and if not, he says he will be willing to carve a custom stock for me with even more wood left on the usual...as I said, very nice guy.

Back